GameStop outs US pricing for Vita memory cards

Monday, 28th November 2011 03:50 GMT By Brenna Hillier

GameStop has put a price tag on the Vita’s proprietary memory cards, starting at $29.99 for 4GB.

An 8GB card is $44.99, the 16GB option goes for $69.99, and the largest, 32GB, is a hefty $119.99.

In Japan, a 4GB card costs ¥2,200; 8GB is ¥3,200; 16 GB is ¥5,500; and the 32GB goes for ¥9,500 – roughly equivalent.

The Vita’s memory cards are a proprietary format and as yet no non-Sony branded alternatives have been announced. Some games cannot use the game card’s own memory for saves and thus require a memory card to play, while decent storage is obviously needed for titles downloaded from the PSN – including promised day-and-date digital releases for all Vita games.

Later Vita game cards themselves will eventually vary in size from 2GB to 16GB, but only 2GB and 4GB versions available during the launch period, making 4GB the maximum size for a game released at retail and through digital channels. Digital-only games may be larger.

The console itself, which launches on February 22, costs $249 for a WiFI only model or $399 for the 3G-enabled option.

Thanks, Gamespot.

1. Gama_888

Fucking unbelievable that this isn’t included with Vita even though some games REQUIRE it.

And the prices?? Insane, This is a really poor show by Sony, Everything else about the device looks great but theyv completely blown it with this for me

2. Christopher Jack

& people thought the Japanese prices were expensive! Would hate to see the Aussie pricing.

3. triggerhappy

Thats a disgrace. Looks very much like an M2, which are dirt cheap these days.

4. a7md1990

dude.. the 3G model costs 299.99$ not 399.99!!!!

5. Ireland Michael

This outrageous memory card pricing is seriously starting to hamper my enthusiasm for this device.

6. Erthazus

Dick move by Sony. Thats really is outrageous.

7. Deacon

Not cheap, but then what’s wrong with making do with the 4Gb and then buying bigger when they become cheaper??

It’s not just Sony that charge through the roof for their proprietory peripherals.

8. Erthazus

You can’t charge x2 price for the peripheral to play Games.

If you bought the system, that thing must play all my games like iOs, android or 3DS products do or GTFO. Buying peripherals to play games that are not cheap to begin with is a DICK move.

but whatever really, it’s console market. You can sell every shit there is.

9. theprodejeff

This is such Bull Shit, come one Sony really. Was SD Micro not good enough, with all the psvita news lately is becomes clear to me that I will not buy that thing on launch day. I will wait till the thing drop in price, it seems the PSP history will repeat it self.

10. BraveArse

Have to admit I took a sharp intake of breath when I saw those prices but this quote from the article makes it all make sense to me tbh.

“For comparison purposes, a 32 GB SD card can be had for as little as $31 – although high performance cards fetch prices similar to Sony’s new, as yet un-detailed format.”

As a photographer I can vouch for the fact that the difference between cheapo SD cards and high performance cards of a similar price and capacity to these Sony proprietary cards is night and day, use a cheap SD card and you can miss several shots you might otherwise get while the data is being written to the card. I could easily see that being the deciding factor. Allow cheapo SD cards to be used and you compromise performance and risk giving the hardware an unnecessarily bad name in a very fickle market.

I do agree though, at the very least the 4gb one should be bundled.

11. BrutalZen

Still hyped about PS Vita even though this is a fucked up move. So, for Europe this means that the dollar sign will probably be replaced with the euro sign making this even more expensive. Can’t believe that this is happening…

12. Chino86

It will be a move to help combat piracy by adopting a completely closed format. Too many times have I heard people say when using the PSP “Let me get my other card”. I fear this is the first real cost paying people have to pay due to it.

Either way, there must be a reason and it will be good to have Sony comment. It is a very weird move as they have been adopting standard formats in almost every area since the PS3. SE phones now use USB and standard Headphone jacks and their Walkman’s don’t need any software at all allowing you to simply drag and drop files in Windows itself for example.

Sony haven’t created a proprietary format since… Blu-Ray, which in itself was made with others. No wonder as they are bloody expensive to create, especially at a time when Sony is not in the best financial situations. One big point is if this was the “old sony” they would be promoting this format as the next big thing. They aren’t and are keeping it very quiet which lead me to think it is piracy being the driving force here.

So piracy and memory read speed are the most likely reasons. Still bloody expensive though :P

13. spiderLAW

i was going to buy one at launch but now seeing the prices of the damn card……forget it. I wont buy a vita unless its for a steal now

14. lexph3re

im getting the bundle for $350 Law that way i’ll have the 3g sku a game and the memorystick.

Oh yeah and best way to utilize this device will be to have PS+ with it for the cloud save’s along with the streaming from console if you don’t like the memory card pricing. Tech wise it’s the best idea especially while waiting on a non-sony mem stick. But, if people don’t want to explore the alternatives they just might not get it eh oh well

15. OlderGamer

Price is a huge factor. Many Americans will take one look at the system, then the price, and ask, so all it does it play games? What do I mean? I just bought the wife a new smart phone, spent 30usd on it, got a 100usd gift card from Walmart for making the purchase. And the thing is pretty amazing. It too does games, but of course a lot more too.

I know what many will say already angry birds type games aren’t the same level of gaming offered by Vista/3DS. True, very true. But then again the overwhelming majority of games(esp Sony handheld games) have always just been handheld versions of console games. LBP, GoW, GT, and so on. Thats a downer, esp when you consider the price of these things, and pretty much all they do is play games.

Oh and incase you were wondering, my wifes new smart comes with angry birds installed, and my wife thinks its great.

16. freedoms_stain

New hardware in high entry price shocker.

17. 2EX08

Then again, with SONY selling the Vita at such a low price point, it makes you wonder where SONY is going to get their profits from … UNTIL NOW!

18. Lightmanone

Okay, let’s check in a year how much the price has lowered and then re-esses IF I wanna spend a dime on this, cause right now, it’s ridiculous.

“Money can buy you anything.” Yeah sure, but the Vita is just for a bit of fun, not a means to get a second morgage.. D*mn.

19. awaltzforvenus

And you need one of these to even play quite a few Vita games. That’s cute. Looks like I’ll be sticking with my iPhone, then. Maybe Sony will get it after enough people give their money to Apple.

20. Noodlemanny

Here in the UK its about half of that, but in pounds. you can get the 16GB for £39.99 from Amazon. And it comes out at release.