Report – Future PS3 firmware to support Vita Remote Play for streamable titles

Thursday, 24th November 2011 15:24 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Eurogamer‘s reporting that a future PS3 Firmware update will allow Vita’s Remote Play to stream games from the former.

Previous titles in PS3′s back catalogue will support an upscaled 480×272 resolution that will fit the screen, but future titles will have the option of including 480p play open as a possibility.

This actual feature was demonstrated by Sony Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida at Tokyo Game Show in September, demonstrating what Killzone 3 and LittleBigPlanet 2 would look like on Remote Play.

Sony’s refused to comment.

PlayStation Vita launches in the US and Europe in February. It releases in Japan on December 17.

1. Razor

Nice concept, but why would you play on a tiny screen when you could play on a TV?

2. Strandli

@#1: The WiiU says hello.

3. StolenGlory

@2 The PSP of 2004 says “Welcome back, old friend”.

4. Dannybuoy

@1 When your wife wants to watch Kirsty’s Homemade House on TV? I could really use this feature…

5. KAP

You live at home don’t you.

6. Ireland Michael

@1 When you get married, you’ll look back at this question some day and think “Oh, now I finally understand…”

Good idea. They had a limited version of this on the PSP, but only like one or two games ever supported it. Can’t wait.

7. 2plus2equals5

Very interesting feature! I can’t wait to see it in action!

8. ASBI

lol I sense a lot of pain in some comments hehe :D

9. Erthazus

That feature is useless, unless you are a casual gamer that plays games once for a while because you have one big TV at home and you need to share your big screen with your family.

10. Razor

@8 Indeed, what these guys need is their own dedicated gaming den… :P

11. HauntaVirus

This just sealed the deal for me, I’m pre-ordering :)

12. G1GAHURTZ

If there’s only one TV in your house, I’m sure there are people who would be willing to pay you to take a CRT off their hands, which you could put in another room if you have one, or on the other side of the room if you’re in a studio flat.

Or you could just get a vga cable and use a monitor if you want HD.

There are so many better options than playing a game on a piddly little screen because your Mrs wears the trousers your TV is being used.

13. Dannybuoy

^ It doesn’t work like that. I want to play on my 40″ full HD with surround sound on my sofa infront of my log burning stove not in a bedroom on some shitty screen like some marginalized teen. If I can play my PS3 while she watches TV then great.

14. G1GAHURTZ

“I want to play on my 40″ full HD with surround sound on my sofa infront of my log burning stove”

So…

If you can’t do that, you’d rather squint at a non HD, upscaled, 5″ screen with stereo speakers that are too close to each other, like some marginalized pre-teen?

Makes no sense.

15. Razor

@G1GA, We’ve got two massive CRT’s in the yard that need taking. We probably would pay somebody to take them!

16. Ireland Michael

@9 Or, you know, you’re not a basement dwelling loner, and might have a wife / husband and / or children, as well as a limited income, or live with sick parents who needed your care, or are residing in an apartment / house with other students or people.

Or any other number of real life circumstances that a person like you would never actually be able to comprehend, since you’re so busy playing games you don’t like that you have no comprehension of what the real world is like.

17. G1GAHURTZ

@15: LOL!

18. The_Red

If done right, this could make Wii U look even more useless (If that was even possible).

19. stupidvillager

@#18…..Could you tell me how the Wii U is useless. Have you spent anytime with it? Almost a year from release and you already know this. Amazing

20. mojo

perfect for 2 player on couch.