Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC shelved for free-to-play offering

Thursday, 24th November 2011 23:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier PC is dead; Long live Ghost Recon Online.

Ubisoft will not be releasing a PC port of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, preferring to offer the free-to-play game Ghost Recon Online.

“When we started Ghost Recon Online we were thinking about Ghost Recon: Future Soldier; having something ported in the classical way without any deep development, because we know that 95% of our consumers will pirate the game,” Ghost Recon Online producer Sébastien Arnoult told PC Gamer.

“So we said okay, we have to change our mind. We have to adapt, we have to embrace this instead of pushing it away. That’s the main reflection behind Ghost Recon Online and the choice we’ve made to go in this direction.”

Arnoult said Ghost Recon Online is a way of adapting the Ghost Recon: Future Soldier “offer” to the PC market, which he feels varies significantly from that of consoles.

“I don’t like to compare PC and Xbox boxed products because they have a model on that platform that is clearly meant to be €60’s worth of super-Hollywood content,” he said.

“We are giving away most of the content for free because there’s no barrier to entry. To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ‘Okay, go ahead guys. This is what you’re asking for. We’ve listened to you – we’re giving you this experience. It’s easy to download, there’s no DRM that will pollute your experience.’”

Regarding the change of plans, Ubisoft told Eurogamer it had in fact never confirmed a PC version of Ghost Recon: Future Soldier, which the site has called shenanigans on based on the initial 2010 announcement and a dedicated PC forum for the game.

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is due on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in March 2012, while Ghost Recon Online is in European beta and expected to reach other territories this month.

In recent years Ubisoft has been embroiled in an ongoing, public war against PC piracy, implementing, revoking and reinstating several unpopular DRM systems. Its latest PR nightmare arose from some misconstrued comments from I Am Alive director Stanislas Mettra.

Thanks, That VideoGame Blog.

1. macronia

WTF ?????
    I really hate ubi , i really wanted to try Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

next time they will say no AC for pc , then POP then Ubi will be console developer only !!!! :( :(

2. triggerhappy

FFS :0

As much as I love Ubi… THEY REALLY DO HAVE SOMETHING AGAINST PC PLAYERS.

Jeez, I feel like a criminal just for having a gaming PC.

3. Erthazus

” To the users that are traditionally playing the game by getting it through Pirate Bay, we said, ”

F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. Ubisoft. Just go away from the PC market completely. Just get the F out. No one needs you. Just fuck off.

4. GrimRita

hehe Ubisoft. The worlds worst publisher. Who gives a toss anyway? I dont. All they do is port shitty games over and release sub-par PC games like Anno 2070 anyway

5. Yoshi

LMFAO! Worst idea ever! Ubisoft is getting better and better in just one week XD

6. EscoBlades

*whistles*

7. albo88

Razor1911

8. Ireland Michael

@4 Is there anything in gaming you *do* like?

9. macronia

again WTF is wrong with ubi these days ?? are they drinking something ??

Today they say bad things about PC , tomorrow they say it was rumor and lies

I don’t know what to believe !!!!

10. lkm

i don’t understand the publisher today, pc can’t be a bed port, i mean lets be honest pc port give some profit, not everyone today a pirate. seriously what the point in consoles exclusive games when they can gain more money from pc port as well plus consuls have pirates to.

11. EscoBlades

@9: Its all very muddled up at the mo. Usually happens when everyone ain’t on the same page. Hoping to hear some concrete details soon enough on the matter. would be sad if the GRFS PC version was scrapped.

12. DSB

It’s hilarious to see Ubisoft throw away the majority of their PC business by virtue of their complete inability to connect with the audience, but it’s a lot funnier that they blame their customers for it afterwards, especially considering the fact that while Ubisoft has been losing 60% of their PC business, Activision has doubled theirs, and EA have been making the same ammount of money they always did.

Obviously the only thing actively trying to hurt Ubisofts business is Ubisoft, and this attempt to say “It’s not me, it’s you” is just pathetic, but I guess that’s perfectly in line with the rest of their decisions over the last decade anyway.

Now this guy is basically saying “You’re all thieving scum, so come play our new “freemium” shooter”

I’m pretty sure I’d rather give John Ricitiello a handjob.

13. LOLshock94

Yet again if they did release it on pc it will have DRM and yous wont buy it so stfu.

14. DSB

Who’s fault is that LOLshock?

Obviously I’m not going to buy a game if a publisher is going to punish me for it. Do they want to sell me a game or not?

15. LOLshock94

Honestly I don’t see the point in people complaining when they are clearly not going to buy the game.

16. NeoSquall

@4 “sub-par PC games like Anno 2070″ my ass.

@15 that isn’t a valid excuse: here we’re talking about Ubisoft and its typically French way of avoiding problems because they don’t have a clue on how to resolve them.

17. DEADEYES

That’s why i always call them: UBISUK! :))

Sure, piracy is the biggest problem of PC games, but take a look at console: they always have latest (piracy) games on the market before PC (waiting for cracks). So, who is the “pirate” now, mr. Ubisuk? :)

18. blackdreamhunk

F you ubisoft maybe stay out the pc market!!! there is a good reason you will never be as good as or as big as EA,THQ,Actvision blizzard!

pc gaming has out lived companies like Midway,Sierra Entertainment,Interplay,west wood studios and many contless generations of consoles. Pc gaming will out live UbiSoft.

19. B.E.S.O

Even the f2p wont make it and there will be a closure announcement after a short while, because seriously why would someone encourage such fools?

ffs, can’t they look at the horrible pc ports they’re making?

20. TheBlackHole

If this is how you speak to people you want to support PC gaming with better quality products and better customer care…

“I really hate ubi ”
    “F.U.C.K. Y.O.U. Ubisoft. Just go away from the PC market completely. Just get the F out. No one needs you. Just fuck off”
    “Ubisoft. The worlds worst publisher. ”
    “It’s hilarious to see Ubisoft throw away the majority of their PC business ”
    “Obviously I’m not going to buy a game if a publisher is going to punish me for it. ”
    “here we’re talking about Ubisoft and its typically French way of avoiding problems”
    “That’s why i always call them: UBISUK!”
    “F you ubisoft maybe stay out the pc market!!!”
    “here will be a closure announcement after a short while, because seriously why would someone encourage such fools?”

Yeah, with this kind of attitude I wouldn’t want to do anything for you fuckers either. PC gamers are some of the most ungrateful, self-righteous shits. And while, yes, that’s a broad generalisation, the prevalence of piracy (which is destroying the triple A PC business – Just look at ELSPA figures if you’re in the industry if you need proof) along with this arrogant, self-important, all-knowing attitude that you lot emulate so brilliantly, is putting publishers off spending time or money on producing anything remotely worthwhile on PC.

For every genuine gamer who would happily buy a PC game if it didn’t have restrictive DRM and was of sufficient quality, there are ten more of you asshats trolling forums saying how bad the game is if it doesn’t do EVERYTHING you demand from day one, and then you go and pirate it anyway, using the insanely retarded excuse that ‘if it wasn’t so shit, I wouldn’t steal it’.

Quite frankly, if I was Ubisoft, I’d tell you to go fuck yourselves and stop wasting my time.

21. Edo

#20 Cool story bro.

22. loki

Again respect Ubisoft. PC sucks and fail. Game industry will been better without PC ports

23. NeoSquall

@20 I would just say “shut the hell up”, but I’d like to give you my opinion, if it may serve you in looking at these comments under a different light.

The comments from these “arrogant” and “self-important” people is the product of a videogame developer, associated with a big and historic publisher like Ubisoft, who described them indiscriminately as pirates and thieves.
    Now, I don’t know how do you normally react to people that call you pirate and thief, nor I don’t know if the commenters are indeed pirates or not, but you have to convene that such insults are indeed harsh and undeserved.

Given the veil of anonymosity from being on the Internet, then, these people can “freely” express their righteous angst againts Ubisoft in the way they wish. A company that doesn’t respect its customers in the first place deserve no respect in return.

24. TheBlackHole

“who described them indiscriminately as pirates and thieves.”

No they didn’t.

They said that 95% of consumers would pirate it. Now, if they sold (for example) 50k copies of a game, but saw that it had been pirated a million times (not unusual for a game these days), then they are 100% correct.

They acknowledged that they have a loyal, honest user-base, it’s just very small compared to the amount of people that are ‘pirates and thieves’.

“I don’t know if the commenters are indeed pirates or not” – so your point is moot anyway. I admitted I was making a generalisation, but it’s based on solid evidence. A game will almost always be pirated an order of magnitude more than it is legitimately bought, hence why companies like Ubisoft are choosing different ways to tackle it.

Don’t like DRM? Here’s F2P. Although I see they still bitch about getting something for free.

25. GrimRita

@24 – Solid evidence? From whom? Ubisoft?! Do me a favour. I’ve never seen a publisher so out of touch with consumers, it stuns me.

Maybe if they actually looked at the real reason why they might sell ‘only 50k’. Maybe, its because their ports to PC are shit. Maybe its because no one wants to buy their games.

There’s a whole host of reasons aside from calling every PC gamer a pirate. Ubi just cant(or wont) face the facts. Other publishers dont have any issues and sell bucket loads – Skyrim had over 250k people PLAYING on Steam – so if they can manage it, why cant Ubi?

If they dont want to support the PC as a platform – fine, but dont release yet more PR bullshit stories like this because it stinks, much like their games.

26. TheBlackHole

“Solid evidence? From whom? Ubisoft?! Do me a favour.” – Are you trying to tell me that games sell more copies than are pirated? I’m going to presume you just didn’t read what I said as you can’t possibly be that naive.

“There’s a whole host of reasons aside from calling every PC gamer a pirate.” – They didn’t, like I explained above. Again, I’m assuming you don’t read before you rant.

And I’m not saying they deserve to sell more games – If the games are shit people shouldn’t buy them. But saying that you’ve pirated a copy because you didn’t like the way they made it is grade-A bullshit.

This isn’t really PR bullshit though, is it. Actually, you’re arguing quite the opposite, as they’re actually being quite open about what they’re doing – “we can’t afford to make a game that people pirate rather than buy, so we’re making it free-to-play and hoping the added content will be engaging enough for people invest some money in.”

Seems pretty reasonable to me, whatever you think of the quality of the products they make.

27. DaMan

Somewhat related: http://www.thatvideogameblog.com/2011/11/22/the-pirates-and-legitimate-buyers-of-arma-ii/

28. GrimRita

@26 – I did read what you wrote – three times because I cant believe someone can be so naive.

Ubi are blaming pirates for poor sales when the truth of the matter is, all they do is port shit to the PC, meaning the majority of PC gamers wont buy it.

Its just another excuse from a lame publisher. And one thing you didnt read from my ‘rant’ is that other publishers are managing to make a good return and not just in sales – so what makes Ubi different?

Si Games(Football Manager series), Creative Assembly(Total War Series), Blizzard(Starcraft), Stardock(Sins of a Solar Empire) are PC only developers and all have managed to shift huge amounts of their games – so if they can do it, why cant Ubi? Perhaps they need to look at their business model first before blaming external factors.

29. NeoSquall

The silly fact is that the recent PC only titles released by Ubisoft (Anno 2070, Might & Magic: Heroes 6 and, to some extent, The Settlers 7) are some of the best and/or most original products from Ubisoft (no matter what GrimRita can say about Anno, it’s the best of the series ATM), while the multiplatform ones are suffering from stale ideas (AC: Revelations), lack of interest in the franchise (Driver) or have just shitty PC ports and other design flaws (From Dust), plus the godawful DRM menace for the latter 2.

It seems to me that Ubisoft is like a Hydra, where one of the heads doesn’t know what the others are doing.

30. TheBlackHole

“I wanted to buy Anno 2070 but after the demo failing to impress me, it was still on my radar but when it released at £35 – they can shove it. £14-£20 then maybe.”

That’s fine, unless you pirate it, in which case you have no credibility within this discussion. If you don’t, then I don’t disagree with you.

“other publishers are managing to make a good return”

You know full well that good sales are not necessarily driven by good products, or vice versa. Yes, some titles are successful on PC. Those games are ALSO pirated.

And I really don’t understand the basis for the argument anyway. They’re basically saying ‘look, you don’t want to pay full price for our games, MOST of you would rather steal it, so here it is (or something similar) for free. Go wild.

Where’s the ‘beef’?

31. Maximum Payne

@29 to be honest every game from Ubisoft is creative and unique Assassin Creed,New Driver,Far Cry 2,Prince of Persia 2008… Some of them are maybe broken but they are still unique.

32. viralshag

@29, Agreed, Anno 2070 is pretty damn good.

@30, I’m pretty much with you on this one. I think me being a console-gamer-gone-PC might have something to do with it as I often don’t agree with half the things PC enthusiasts say.

I have never really had any issues with DRM and a lot of the time I can’t understand why it’s considered a “punishment” to gamers.

33. GrimRita

@30 Not paying full price is about value for money. Why should a PC gamer(or even a console gamer) pay full price for a half baked shoddy ported game? I personally refuse to. So Ubi have NO arguement because thats what they do.

Yes, games are pirated and those that do need their fingers cut off, or worse – forced to watch an episode of Eastenders. However, a good game still sells in big numbers – something Ubi cant do. So why are Ubi claiming they will only shift 50k units? Naff product = naff sales.

Your point about crap selling is valved – Blizzard have cornered that market but to make that happen, you need to have a good track record for polish – something Blizzard do and Ubi dont.

When pirating console games becomes more wide spread it will be interesting to see what happens then. Who will they blame then?

I simply have no time for lazy publishers/developers who shit out lazy ports and expect a PC gamer to pay full whack for it.

34. viralshag

@33, Depends what you mean by “pay full whack” considering PC games are almost always cheaper than console games anyway. You could argue that the reason you get a “lazy port” is because PC gamers always expect to get a lower price.

Even when games are good on the PC, in my experience I have heard the line “I will wait for a Steam sale” more times than “this is a day one for me”.

As you mentioned, PC devs sell a lot of games but then they are PC only, which Ubi are not. Maybe they should do themselves a favour and just can PC development completely if PC gamers are continuously not happy with the product they get.

So in my opinion, I probably wouldn’t spend a shit load of money on making a top notch PC version which will be sold for less, bought by few and pirated by more.

35. NeoSquall

@31 The first two Assassin’s Creed, yes, but Brotherhood and Revelations are a bit more than a rehash of the same game structure.
    The new Driver may be a good game, but sales seem to be pretty poor.
    Far Cry 2 is… I don’t know how to describe it.
    Prince of Persia 2008 is a linear action game that shares its name with a great acrobatic action game and NOTHING ELSE.

36. GrimRita

They dont need to spend a shit load of money but lazy porting will turn alot of people off buying a game – Ubi have a superb track record in that area.

PC gamers dont always expect a lower price, I certainly dont. If a game is worth it. Theres no way on gods earth Anno is a £35 game. Not a chance.

Maybe people waiting for the Steam sales have their reasons. Money is tight for a lot of people, clearly people are saving their money for something they want/will pay top price for.

Personally, I love buying the collectors editions if its a game I want to play or can see myself getting alot of replay value from. Empire Total War springs to mind, Football Managers, hell I even spend a fair amount of cash playing League of Legends getting new champions.

Until the announcement of Origin,I had BF3 on pre-order, which I cancelled,otherwise I probably would have bought that from Amazon for £30(pre-ordered it early!).

With more and more games being released in the final quarter of the year, an empty summer of big releases(talking about PC here and probably console to some extent) is it any wonder sales of certain games fall below expectations set by the publisher?

As I said earlier, theres many more reasons then just blaming the pirates for poor sales because in tough times, other developers/publishers are doing better than others and their games are most likely getting downloaded by the pirates as well.

37. DSB

TheBlackHole obviously isn’t in touch with reality.

If Ubisoft are failing to sell, then they can’t just turn around and blame their customers, for several very obvious reasons. One being that far more competent companies have been turning, and even doubling profits on the format within the same period that Ubisoft have halved theirs.

Before Online Services Platform they were still losing business, which again is hardly surprising given the fact that Online Services Platform was really just the next step after years of using the equally heinous Starforce DRM.

It’s been quite obvious from the beginning that those systems don’t suit PC gamers at all, and they make buying games a hell of a lot less attractive, when pirates are perfectly able to provide a better product, without the hassle, for no cost.

Ubisoft chose not to listen to their intended audience, and instead created a new kind of hell in Online Services Platform, which lost them 60% of their business over roughly two years, far more than they ever managed to lose in any preceding years.

This halfassed trolling, suggesting that the market is somehow suffering on the PC, and that PC gamers are indeed to blame for Ubisofts complete disregard for their audience, is obviously not based on any of the facts available.

Piracy is more rampant on the PC. How is that a surprise to any halfway informed human being? You can do whatever you want on a PC, where as a console is locked up tighter than a nuns asshole. The fact that the PC is and has remained a viable platform for business over several decades of publishers singing the same sad song of imminent doom at the hand of software pirates pretty much says it all.

Good faith should not be wasted on bad faith. Ubisoft’s bad faith approach to the PC market has earned them the same in kind. Most of the publishers who do pull the piracy card are also public companies, which means that you’re quite free to call their bluff, on their very own websites.

38. Ireland Michael

You know, the idea of this is fine.

It’s the snarky, condescending attitude of this guy that’s the problem. Talk about unprofessional.

39. YoungZer0

@38: Definitely. It’s not enough that we had to deal with gamebreaking DRM or lazy ports coming from Ubisoft in the past few years. The problem is that they keep blaming us for their incompetence. If you give your customers lazy ports, horrible DRM, useless services that make things more complicated (Still not able to play SCC without lagging) and call them criminals, you’ll lose them.

Did you ever walk into a supermarket, asking for tomatoes and the employee would say: “Tomatoes are there. But you won’t get them. They are for the ‘better’ costumers, you however are shit, so you get the shitty Tomatoes there, in the dark, smelly corner. Be glad we even sell Tomatoes to you, you criminal arseface.”

Would you ever go there again? No? Oh, your such a spoiled brat.

40. NeoSquall

@37 “which means that you’re quite free to call their bluff, on their very own websites.”
    until they delete your posts and ban your account.

@39 lol, you made my day!

41. DSB

@40 That’s not what I meant :P

Publicly traded companies usually publish their quarterly and annual earnings reports on their own websites.

So it’s really not a mystery who earns what, or where that money comes from in terms of platform.

You can’t argue with a corporation, they’ll never allow any sort of criticism to be levelled against them if they can help it. But you can educate yourself and call their bluff on websites like these.

Here are the exact numbers for the most recent three fiscal years.

Ubisoft PC Revenue:
    2008/2009 – 9% (of 1057 million) = 95 million euro
    2009/2010 – 8% (of 857 million) = 69,5 million euro, down 27% YoY
    2010/2011 – 4% (of 1039 million) = 41,5 million euro, down 40% YoY

Online Services Platform was launched shortly before the fiscal year of 2010/2011, which went on to become their worst year in recorded history of selling games on the PC.

In the same period, Activision has gained more than 200% in PC revenue, not counting MMO income, and EA has lost just 4% leading up to the launch of BF3, which I reckon will win them a customer or two.

42. NeoSquall

@41 well, I misundersttod what you meant then. my bad :D

43. Kabby

They need a new corporate slogan.

How about “Ubisoft, Doing it wrong.”