RAGE demo goes live on XBL, launches December 6 on PSN

Tuesday, 22nd November 2011 14:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Bethesda’s launched a RAGE taster on Xbox Live Marketplace, nearly two months after the full game released.

The id shooter’s demo is up for 2.03Gb, so settle in for a wait. You’ll be able to try the Well mission, explore Wellsprings, do mini-games and try a couple of the races.

It’ll arrive on PSN on December 6, according to Bethesda VP Pete Hines.

The link to queue the 360 demo is here.

1. Lord Gremlin

Don’t feel like buying a PS3 game with 9 GB install. Besides had bad feedback from my friends, aka game is boring, NPC’s are all cluttered in towns Dead Island style and ending is rubbish – you kill some military guys and then game just ends.

2. DSB

At least they’re giving you a chance to pass on a mediocre shooter.

3. NiceFellow

@1 sadly your mates are spot on.

RAGE has the best 60fps engine I’ve seen on console, with the best character animation around (particularly during combat), decent driving physics and some of the meatiest gun combat for years…

…all wrapped up in a poorly designed gameworld with boring levels a weak plot and a terrible, out of nowhere finish just when it seemed the plot was actually starting to pick up. It also abruptly, towards the end, kills of a lot of secondary stuff you could be doing as you’re deemed to have crossed a point of no return and have to more or less follow the final levels to their conclusion.

Shame really as the engine is truly brilliant. Sadly the game built on it isn’t.

For RAGE the demo will be handy for those who want to peek at the wonderful engine without committing to the rather average full game.

4. joshua nash

@3 that is the best description of the game i’ve ever seen, it sums up exactly what the game is, though i was alittle pissed that the game end the way it did, the game is in a way like Xenogears as in the first disk is full of fun but the second disk is crap, though i was thinking while i was playing if they had made it more in line with borderlands as in give the main character a skill tree and lvls to grind, basically a FPS shooter rpg i think i would have been a little bit better imo, i actually like the gameworld sort of a post apoc old west thing going for it

5. Gheritt White

Also, there’s no proper map. Why give people the goodness that is Mutant Bash TV without giving them a proper way of returning to it?

6. DuckOfDestiny

No PC demo?

7. DarkElfa

@6, the whole game feels like a demo, lol.

8. DSB

@6 Darkelfa beat me to it, but yeah, here’s how you would feel at the end of the demo:

“I don’t want to pay for this crap”

You’re welcome!

I’m going to feel bad every time I see it on my Steam list, and that list also includes Duke Nukem Forever. So, yeah.

9. DarkElfa

@8, It really does just feel like the devs were going somewhere epic when the manager stepped in and said “Okay, time, let’s wrap this shit up, I have somewhere to be”.

Normally, I would feel bad for DLing a pirate version of a game, but after finishing this you just end up feeling like you dodged a 60 dollar bullet.

…not that any of us would every illegally DL any game, of course….

10. DSB

@9 It feels to me like the whole concept was simply “generic wasteland shooter”.

It had all the collective imagination of a City Interactive game, and it didn’t manage to run much better on the PC.

They should’ve killed it when they realized they had no clue what they wanted to do with it. There was absolutely no efforts made to make it special beyond the detailed environments.

I don’t like piracy myself, so I’d say just avoid it entirely, there’s nothing there. I wish I had dodged a 50 dollar bullet on that one myself.

I wasn’t even that impressed with the previews, I just figured it was id Software, and surely they’d know how to make a proper shooter.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.

11. DarkElfa

Well, they do know how to make a proper shooter, they just didn’t this time. What they made a was a technology demo.

The game did have a lot of promise though and if they had put about 6 times more story in it and a great ending, it would have been better.

Also, if God had given frogs wings the wouldn’t bump their asses hopping.

12. K-V-C

i quite liked it !!!! the only thing i hated was there was no indoor map aww that pissed me off so much !!!! was really hard to figure to go at time s

13. Phoenixblight

My Game scripting class calls it a Programmer’s love story because thats all it is, just a tech demo that proves you can make a single texture for an entire game and then have each model reference specific cordinates on that texture. Though I am not sure how efficient that is with it being 30 GBs for a possible of 10 hours of gameplay. SKyrim is 6GBs and I am at 70 hours so far.

If ID wanted to sell off this tech, they did a horrible job imo.

14. reask

As a shooter is it good?
    Just tried demo on hard setting and 3 attempts later failed.

OK I am in a hurry so just rushed in but is it a challenge or just plain rubbish?

15. Phoenixblight

THere is no real challenge even on the hardest setting. Its a real disappointment coming from the studio that created the FPS genre.

16. DSB

There’s no reason why you’d buy RAGE when you can have BF3, MW3, Borderlands or Fallout.

Even Fallout has it beaten on weapon feedback, which is really one of the biggest disappointments I had. The weapons are boring and you don’t get a lot out of shooting people with ‘em.

17. DuckOfDestiny

@8 So what you are saying is, I have to pay £25 for a shitty demo?

18. HeavyD-Love

Good. Now more people can witness the incredible idTech5 engine.

19. reask

Right I will pass so.
    Thanks guys.

20. DSB

@17 Well you can pay me 25 L’s (I’m guessing this is Lemmings, the official legal tender of Critterland) for saving you the trouble if you want.

But I was just describing how you’d feel towards the end. The demo would be free, but you’re never going to get those 30-60 minutes of your life back.

Ever.

Now that I think about it, you SHOULD pay me for saving you the trouble. That’s 30 to 60 minutes of time that you’re going to spend enjoying yourself, or at least doing something else.

21. HeavyD-Love

You’d be a fool not to at least check out this demo if you haven’t played Rage yet based purely off others negative opinions. It’s worth it just to see the engine run on consoles, looks absolutely amazing.

I can’t understand why people talk such shit about Rage. Not only the graphics, but also the gameplay, enemy AI, sound, and almost everything EXCEPT the story in this game is incredible.

All the FPS segments were awesome.
    All the racing segments were very well done (and they could have sucked) for a game that took a risk mixing two genres.
    This demo gives you a taste of both.

Don’t let others poison your opinion of this game due to it’s weak story and lack of ending. It’s id. They make first person shooters using the latest greatest graphics engines. They attempted to wrap this one up in a story, it was ok (rather weak) and the “ending” did suck, but from a technical perspective Rage is quite a landmark achievment. Id just needs to partner with a company who can handle the story, leave them to the tech stuff.

To imply that the game is so bad that even wasting your time on the demo would be a waste of your life is utterly ridiculous.