Microsoft offering $20,000 for Kinect development

Monday, 21st November 2011 13:55 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft’s offering a $20,000 investment to developers who want to work with Kinect under a new initiative known as Kinect Accelerator.

Out of all applicants, only ten companies will be chosen for the three month program, based in Seattle.

“We’ll take companies starting with fully developed products and funding,” reads the official FAQ.

The reward package on offer is pretty impressive for the chosen ones, although TechStars will take up a 6 percent of common stock in return.

“Every company participating in the Kinect Accelerator will receive an investment of $20,000, an Xbox development kit, the Windows Kinect SDK, office space, all the resources of BizSpark, technical training and support, and mentorship from entrepreneurs, investors and Microsoft executives intensely focused on making their business a success.”

The deadline for applications is January 25, 2012.

Thanks, GI.

1. SplatteredHouse

“Kinect Accelerator”. Well, at least they’re being transparent about it!

2. Psychotext

I suspect that’s going to make for some very excited hardware hackers. I’ve already seen some projects which I suspect will be a shoe-in for a spot.

3. Deacon

‘We’re failing miserably at producing any decent games to offer all the millions of people we conned into buying one, so here, have some cash, now drag us out of this hole’.

Nice incentive, but massive fail.

4. Phoenixblight

MS has had incentives like these going for a while. If your game used Kinect you were put at the top of the list. THere is nothing wrong with this tactic and Kinect actually has been doing relatively well. Look at Just Dance 3 and Dance central.

5. Deacon

I am looking at Just Dance 3 and Dance Central. The fact is, that’s ALL THERE IS to look at.

In who’s opinion has Kinect been doing well?

To sell as many as they did was a good effort, though there’s really not much that can’t be sold given a £20m marketing budget.

They have yet to fulfil their promise of ‘being the controller’ on anything other than dance and party games.

And for that reason, I’m out. (hint: I was never in)

6. Phoenixblight

ANd whose fault is that honestly? Its the developers that don’t want to develop for the device other than the devs that are selling to casual. Bioware is trying something new with it and it will only be a matter of time until other devs will jump on ship.

7. Deacon

And why is it that most developers aren’t going near it?

Because the only games tailored to it ARE party and dance games!

Do you honestly think it’s only a matter of time until someone releases a must-have CORE game on Kinect?

The blame here is entirely on MS.
    You can’t blame devs who are completely unassociated with MS for not supporting their latest hardware money-machine. Expecially when every attempt at anything more than a party game turns out to be some laggy arm-waving shitfest.

The devs aren’t to blame. MS are to blame.

I used the word core, but what I really mean is traditional.
    I’m a traditional gamer, and I always will be. I’m sure a LOT of the people who bought Kinect are the families, the casuals, and the people who simply got sucked up in the hype. There are, however, loyal Xboxers who bought this under the promise that it wouldn’t be used solely to push casual tripe. It’s those guys that should be angry.

8. Lounds

Atlest the PS move can do shooters.

9. pleasant_cabbage

No it can’t. Cursor drift and shift means move fails hard with fpses. Unfortunate as the motion sensing is pretty great in it.

In fact I think Sony (unless I and tons of other people can’t calibrate it properly – I’ve really tried everything though) have gotten away with murder regarding move’s tech problems. Please someone ask them why move doesn’t work.

10. manamana

Still keen on Steel Battalion…

11. Psychotext

I’m guessing no-one here has realised that this isn’t just about games.

Kinect is actually far more useful outside of the gaming space (perhaps ironically).

12. DaMan

Did anyone play Gunstringer? Seemed like a decent one to me.

Project Draco looks great. A few more ones, and I ‘ll be getting the thing.

13. manamana

^ only as demo but couldn’t convince me. Hopefully Project Drako delivers. Child of Eden is boss on Kinect. With headphones on its a blast. Its a little cheesy storywise though…