Kojima: “We’ll probably have to make” Metal Gear Solid 5

Monday, 21st November 2011 15:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Hideo Kojima has given the clearest indication yet there will be a Metal Gear Solid 5, saying the sequel is something that Kojima Productions will “probably” have to develop.

Speaking as part of Official PlayStation Magazine‘s special cover piece of the series’s creator, Kojima said his involvement, if it happens, will be limited.

“As far as my involvement in the project is concerned, [it] probably won’t be as much as it was with MGS1 – maybe I can do just one stage,” he said.

“For MGS1 I made the maps myself, laid out the enemy routes myself, did everything hands-on – that level I can’t do again.”

Since Metal Gear Solid 2, Kojima’s vowed that every game would be his last in the series. But MGS4: Guns of the Patriots didn’t quite work out that way.

“I intended to take it to a certain point and then hand it off, but that didn’t work, because it’s hard to convey the concept to other people then have them take the reins and carry on and preserve that vision… That’s why it’s easier to have them come up with everything from the start and then take it to the end.”

Kojima’s next game is something called Project Ogre, which the magazine promises more details on as part of its cover feature.

1. Erthazus

2. WFMMK

I hope it’s PS3 exclusive.

3. G1GAHURTZ

Maybe they should finish Rising first.

4. Zana

@3 Rising is being developed by another team anyway.

5. Superfrog

@2 Why?

6. DuckOfDestiny

Oh god why? MGS4 was a good place to leave it.

7. LOLshock94

if he wants to end it then he should kill snake

8. Panipal2005

Project Ogre? Could he be doing something that isn’t fuckin’ 1TP (1 trick pony) sorry MGS?

Naaaaah.

9. Razor

Last week it was confirmed, now it’s “we’ll probably make”, next week it’ll be, “nah, we ain’t making it.”

10. osric90

@6 Totally agree. Hope this doesn’t end up like Silent Hill or “DmC”. If his involvment is not as much as with MGS1, I hope at least he gives the thumbs up to what it would be the LAST MGS game EVER… or at least for let’s say 10 or 15 years.

11. YoungZer0

@9: Let’s hope so. I’m sick and tired of Kojima bending to Fans wishes. Let it be Kojima. MGS4 ended like 5 times before the credits rolled. Dunno what you’re trying to do, but you can only make it worse.

You don’t “Have” to do anything.

Let. It. Go.

12. HeavyD-Love

What he should do is remake the original Metal Gear (not Solid) using MGS4′s engine. That’d be pretty cool.

13. spiderLAW

im all for MGS5…just dont need Snake to be directly involved anymore. War continues on and never ends so there are always more places to go.

@Heavy D,
    a Remake of Metal Gear 1-2 and Solid in MGs4 tech would be great!

14. manamana

Really, Kojima should think about making an animated movie instead of a new MGS title. MGS4 was unplayable for me – jump in and dive into some tactical stealth action? No way! For every time I got into something, epic cutscenes comes along.

MGS1 reboot, I could live with though.

15. tatsujin

I also hope this is a PS3 exclusive. I’ve seen enough watered down games because of the 360.

16. TraceableX

Sequel to MGS4?

/facepalm

17. bryani

maybe it’ll be announced along with PS4!!

18. Dimaco

Hell, this is good news!

19. GenericShooterSoldier

War has changed.

It’s not about nations, or ideologies.
    It’s not even about profit, resources, or ethnicity.

It’s an endless series of proxy battles,
    fought by mercenaries and machines.

War, and its vast consumption of human life,
    has become a rational, well-oiled business transaction.

War has changed.

ID-tagged soldiers carry ID-tagged weapons,
    use ID-tagged gear.

Nanomachines inside their bodies
    enhance and regulate their actions.

Genetic control.. Information control..
    Emotion control.. Battlefield control.

Everything is monitored, and kept under control.

War has changed.

The age of deterrence is now the age of control,
    averting catastrophe from weapons of mass destruction.

And he who controls the battlefield, controls history.

War has changed.

When the battlefield is under total control,

war becomes routine.

20. HeavyD-Love

^ I read that entire post with Snakes voice narrating in my head and it was awesome lol.

21. brotherhoodofthewolf

@19, change ‘battlefield’ with ‘workplace’, and ‘war’ with ‘work’ – the prologue to a modern economy ;-)

22. spiderLAW

Dude where is the like button?
    GenericShooterSoldier +1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

23. GenericShooterSoldier

@ 22

I’m no hero never was never will be, i’m just an old killer hired to do some wet-work

24. tmac2011

MGS 5 has to be ps3 exclusive , they can keep gay raiden all they want

25. manamana

@21 nice one

26. Ireland Michael

Yay… more pretentious pseudo-intellectual waffling to look forward to… Whooo…

27. OrbitMonkey

@26, Yeah Hideo has made games that are loved by a fair few folk, but man can he waffle on! The idea of 10+ min cutscenes make my balls shrivel & I know I could skip them, but then i’m missing out on plot -_-

Oh and Raiden ain’t so bad!!