Sections

Del Toro: InSANE is “really, really nasty”

Thursday, 17th November 2011 05:05 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Guillermo del Toro is gleefully excited by the prospect of mentally scarring you with his first game project, inSANE.

“We’re being really, really nasty in the game. We’re really trying a lot of stuff that I don’t think would even fly in the movies,” the director told Collider of his collaborative project with THQ.

Del Toro is currently shooting a new film called Pacific Rim, and as such, his role in the game’s development is on hold, but he had been participating via weekly conference calls.

“We exchange ideas about the design, the gameplay, about the models,” he said.

“It’s still two-and-a-half or three years away, though, because videogame development is so long.”

The filmmaker also commented that he came in to games development “with a lot of humility”, knowing he couldn’t rely on his established skillset.

“I came in trying to learn a new medium because I think it’s going to be very useful for me as a storyteller,” he said.

“With a videogame, you don’t have to solve one screenplay, you have to solve 20 screenplays, because you are giving the player the illusion of free will. If the character kills another character or destroys a building, the game goes one way; if the character doesn’t, it goes another. It keeps you very nimble.”

InSANE has been described as “Lovecraftian” and to feature a “sandbox”. It was first announced in late 2010 and is expected to be a trilogy when it arrives in 2013.

Thanks, Blue.

Breaking news

6 Comments

Sign in to post a comment.

  1. The_Red

    And I “really, really, really” can’t wait for this game. If they bring even a couple of nasty elements on par with those from likes of Pan’s Labyrinth, this is gonna be beyond awesome.

    #1 3 years ago
  2. TD_Monstrous69

    From the sound of things, I would not be shocked if this doesn’t make its said 2013 release. Mainly because of Del Torro’s seemingly busy work schedule, as well as Volition’s work schedule (last time I checked, they’re already working on the next Saints Row game). Though I would not be sad if it does miss its 2013 release. Mainly for the interest I have in this game, and Del Torro’s inexperience in games. I can only hope that both he and Volition take as much time as they can to make this the best game possible. Because I believe this could set a presidence for on how producers/directors transition their work from one medium to another, and make it work (though John Millius [correct me if I'm wrong with the spelling] working with Kaos on HomeFront was a noble try). Though I hope they show some damn gameplay soon, otherwise stories like this will start to get irritating.

    #2 3 years ago
  3. The_Red

    @2 I think the collaboration between Millius and Kaos was a complete failure because there was no sign of artistic visionary in that game. So far all of such collaborations have either been sub-standard (From that game to John Woo’s Stranglehold) or completely fruitless (Cancelled games from many Spielberg and other artists).

    Hopefully Del Toro and Volition can indeed show the world how this type of collaboration works by making a nasty good game.

    #3 3 years ago
  4. bryani

    the more i read about this game the more exited i get, BUT 3 years?? i cant wait that long :(

    #4 3 years ago
  5. DuckOfDestiny

    I wonder what he means by “nasty”. If it’s Lovecraftian inspired then I really hope he doesn’t mean “nasty” as in gory, because gore was never really a big thing in Lovecrafts work. However if he means “nasty” as in seriously disgusting/disturbing monsters, landscapes and psychological horror, then bring it on :D

    #5 3 years ago
  6. YoungZer0

    @5: Could go both way. But judging from his latest films i’d say disgusting/disturbing.

    #6 3 years ago