GAME reports sales decline due to “very challenging” market

Wednesday, 16th November 2011 15:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GAME has reported a year-on-year sales decline across the board, with accessories, hardware, pre-owned and software all down for the 41-week period ending November 12.

According to management statement released this morning via CVG, GAME and Gamestation sales were down 10.6%, but still a few percentages ahead of the overall market, which declined 12.3% in the same period.

“The performance of the market is below our expectations,” said GAME CEO Ian Shepherd in a statement. “Major software titles are launching in line with first week expectations, but are then seeing a quicker tail-off than historically experienced. Customer footfall and basket sizes are down reflecting wider consumer uncertainty.

“The overall video games market remains very challenging, despite strong title launches, and our guidance today reflects the extraordinary economic times in which we are operating. GAME has outperformed the market, reinforcing our position as market leader, and I am hugely proud of our teams. ”

Revenues from videogame sales in the UK last week were the largest on record, according to GfK ChartTrack, with Modern Warfare 3′s debut contributing to a massive £120.8 million in sales.

1. jnms

On Saturday in GAME, Battlefield 3, MW3 and Skyrim were all selling for £42.99 each!!

Greedy, greedy bastards!!

2. GrimRita

I cant speak for console games, or GAME being greedy but recently the price of PC games have shot up. BF3 is just under £40 on Origin, Amazon charge around £37 and the same goes for the majority of recent triple A releases.

With GAME moaning about demand tailing off with new releases, this is probably down to the fact that games are too short and/or people want to trade it in asap to get the higher value toward the cost of another game.

Either way, GAME are on their way out and I did have a good laugh at the idea that they want to become like the Carphone Warehouse and sell ‘contracts’ for GAMEs..lol

3. jnms

Who in their right mind would buy a game contract hehe.

And yeah, you are right on the PC front too. Even Steam is charging £34.99+ for all the recent big games.

4. aseddon130

GAME are robbing bastards with both price of games and trade in offers, so obviously people are going elsewhere. This comes as to NO suprise to me at all, only thing that people may go there for are for games when everywhere else has sold out or for new consoles.

5. Golden

Yesterday I traded in seven Xbox360 games with Amazon trade-in, together they came to £35.00. Just as I was about to send them off I thought I am right next to gamestation, I’ll pop in and see if they can match the same price near enough (£30.00 would have been OK), Anyway the chap in gamestaion told me all seven would come to £13.00.

No fucking wonder GAME. It’s robbery, it’s unfair and finally it’s catching up with you.

That said I wish no ill on GAME and Gamestation frontline employees, those dudes are just doing a job.

6. Kabby

- Prices are uncompetitive.
    - Service in store and on-line is poor.
    - Slow postal delivery.
    - Stores are full of second hand crap.
    - You can walk into a store and they will not have any copies of games on display.
    - It’s almost impossible to get PC games. Even on release day.
    - They don’t leave the games sealed.
    - High staff turnover. I like to at least recognise people when I go in.

Did I miss anything? Oh yeah, they’re still in business. Shows you just how much people will put up with to play their video games.

7. Sublimeone

Every time I see a GAME UK (GAME GROUP) news/headline topic, it makes me so EXcited and so HAPPY, because it always BAD news, which is good for me (reading about it, lol).

Their entire Senior Management Department should be FIRED. Jeez, talk about coming up with lame excuses, instead of implementing logistical strategies in sales, marketing awareness and customer service around the Numero Uno – alas Moi ‘Customer’.

I so cant wait for them to ‘file for a chapter 13′ anytime.
    (^.^)

8. BraveLilCrumpet

“GAME reports sales decline due to “very challenging” market”

So that’ll be the internet then….

Last time I went into GAME a guy started following me around. He asked me 3 different times if I needed help but the third time round he told me he wouldn’t leave me alone until I bought something…. I laughed and left.
    I would understand if I’d been in there for hours but all this took place within 10 minutes.

The time before that I went in for the Dragon Age Origins Collectors Edition with my girlfriend. The guy informed us they had none left because the staff secured most of the copies for themselves. He then went on to explain how “awesome” it is and what we were missing out on…. This was early morning launch day.

A time even before that I went in for Forza 2 (again, on launch day) and was asked if I was joking when I requested a copy. After that I was practically laughed out of the shop and told to pre-order in the future.

9. nikk900

Most people who have commented saying “greedy” don’t understand how much game/gamestation have to pay for games. I work in gamestation, and I know that they make almost no profit on a new game and because people are buying less they are also losing out on pre-owned games that lose value.

Most of the time you will get £30 back on a brand new game and we would sell it on for £35-£37 but if that game don’t sell, the game loses value and then drops below the price we have paid to the customer.

Before I worked at gamestation I had the same kind of attitude towards them, but once you’ve actually seen how things work, you see it differently. I can’t fault them on how much they charge when I know how much they lose. How they treat their staff though, that’s a different story…

10. revolting

Would be interesting to know how much of their completely botched website relaunch contributed to this. I personally used the old version for a lot of my physical purchases, for and had done for the last 5 years, but the spectacularly disastrous rollout of the new version a few months ago put me right off and I haven’t bought a thing from them since. I know quite a few others who were similarly put off.

11. freedoms_stain

@8, Hate that in Game, and Gamestation, and everywhere else that does it.

If I want help I’ll ask, I don’t need someone following me about. A lot of places are doing this American style customer disservice bullshit. The worst is Schuh where I actually feel like I’m having my privacy invaded by their staff who seem to want to know my life’s story. Buying shit shouldn’t feel like an interrogation.

12. DSB

I haven’t had any problems with service in the US. It seems to me like the customer is always right.

If anything the problem is people who hold up the service people, like the grocery store coupon lady who insists on getting her 50 cent discount, whether it costs everybody else an hour of their life or not.

I think the service is generally pretty good. They fuck right off if you want them to fuck off, and the rest are pretty much wage-slaves who are fine just hanging around until closing time.

I dig it. Except for the greeters. Where I come from, the only way a stranger will address you is if you’re on fire or being attacked by a bear. So every time I’m greeted by those weirdos at the door I immediately think I’m on fire and being attacked by a bear. It’s awkward for everyone involved.