Volition: “Logically assume” more SR pending 3′s success

Tuesday, 15th November 2011 18:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Want to see more Saints Row beyond 3? It’s plain obvious: go and buy The Third.

A success with Saints Row: The Third, which released in the US today, will bring more from the series, Volition lead designer Scott Phillips has told VG247.

THQ core boss Danny Bilson has already suggested that the Chicago-based studio is already working on a fourth game in some form. But Phillips was more cautious on the series’s future.

“The only announced project we have right now is inSane. I think, depending on, of course, review scores and on sales of Saints Row: The Third, you can logically assume there might be future projects in that franchise,” he said, speaking to us as part of a phone interview this evening.

“We’ll see. There’s nothing I can say, but I think everyone can assume what will happen based on the success of Saints Row: The Third.”

As Phillips mentioned, the only other announced project coming from Volition is inSane, the 2013 horror collaboration with director Guillermo Del Toro. He admitted he hadn’t seen too much of it due to being on another floor within the Volition building, but dropped a small hint.

“I don’t know,” was his answer when asked when we’d start seeing more on it.

“We have two floors in the building, and they’re on the other floor, so I don’t get to see what they’re doing too often. I get to see concept art, that’s for sure, and I think the concept’s art looking fantastic,” Phillips added, before THQ PR interrupted and cut us off on the topic.

See the full interview with Phillips for Saints Row: The Third’s European release on Friday. The game’s out on PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Talkar

Saints Row: The Third is already released in Europe. I’ve been playing it all day, and i’m from Denmark. I think it is only the UK that gets it on friday if i’m not completely mistaken.

EDIT: I’m pretty sure of it now: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saints_Row:_The_Third

2. DSB

Yup, ’tis out and being played. Borrowed a french VPN to unlock it from the states.

I don’t see how THQ is going to survive long enough for the next one, but I hope Volition get the chance.

3. The_Red

Why did they have to release this gem in such a crowded season? Along with Rayman Origins and Dark Souls, this is the only game in Q4 that I care about and yet it will probably end up overshadowed by the likes of MW3, Skyrim, ACR and Zelda.

4. fearmonkey

I really wish that Volition would make a new freespace/Descent style game. We have no decent space titles for the 360 except for one Pc port, and nothing like Descent at all.
    Yet we all need more GTA clones….

5. DaMan

I just hope this game does well enough, wouldn’t want to have Gta as the only sandbox around.

6. Talkar

Why the need to compare this game to GTA? The only thing they have in common is that they are both sandbox games. Other than that, they are completely different games o.O

7. Jackie

I would really like to buy this game but i really can’t bring myself to buy anything related with this Online-Pass Madness.

8. Christopher Jack

@7, Doesn’t make a difference unless you buy preowned. Publishers just need a scapegoat to explain poor sales & unfortunately for those who buy preowned, they’re the targets this time. I disagree with it considering that most people who sell their games just do so to buy new games, recycling if you will.

Really the entire industry is going down hill, you either have to go big or small, average games just don’t belong here anymore. Unfortunate, considering that’s where most the gems come from.

9. DaMan

#6 Because Gta used to be similar until recently. besides they’re the same game anyway, one is a fun take on it, the other is boring.