Final Fantasy producer warns action RPGs can’t be dismissed

Tuesday, 15th November 2011 22:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Square Enix isn’t going to pretend the popularity of action RPGs will go away if it shuts its eyes and covers it ears.

“In the global market we see many players moving away from games that used turn-based systems toward what you might term an action-RPG,” long time series developer Yoshinori Kitase told EDGE.

“That’s a trend, and you ignore things like that at your peril.”

The battle system introduced in recent entries was much faster paced than those of FFIX and earlier, but Kitase reiterated Square’s commitment to refreshing the series with each release.

“FFXIII and FFXIII-2′s battle systems have those elements of speed and action that are the key words for us, though that doesn’t necessarily mean we’re going to stick to the same route in our next game. That’s something only time can tell. I think the nature of the franchise is to present something new each time.”

The next release in the franchise is Final Fantasy XIII-2, which arrives in the west on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 early next year. Recently released PSP title Final Fantasy Type-0 has not been confirmed for release outside Japan, and Final Fantasy Versus XIII is largely AWOL.

Thanks, IGN.

1. Edix

I play Action RPGs when I want to play Action RPGs.

I play Turn-Based RPGs when I want to play Turn-Based RPGs.

I do not buy Action RPGs franchises to play Turn-Based RPGS.

I do not buy Turn-Based RPG franchises to play Action RPGs.

Ignore that at your peril.

2. Cygnar

Seeing as Square Enix shuts its eyes and covers it ears in the face of nearly every other development in the RPG arena, I am sure its next daring innovations will consist entirely of the same old, tired mechanics as ever, repackaged in unpronounceable new names.

Here’s to another five years waiting for Versus to bring absolutely nothing new to the ‘action RPG.’

3. OlderGamer

I betcha Diablo III outsells anything SQE puts out during the same time period. Hell i will go so far as to say this entire generation. I used to love J-rpgs. Really. But as time goes on, and graphics have improved the art style has become harder for the average western gamer to sbuy into. When I played Dragon Warrior one on the NES, the char didn’t offend, put off, or turn the stomach of anyone watching/playing. He just looked like a little warrior dude.

It really doesn’t matter if they put it into a action rpg or a turn based rpg. If its too JP it is going to have an uphill climb in the west. Period. And until they figure that one out, they will continue to be clueless and lost in a darkend room.

Most western gamers want to play Skyrim instead of FF(versus or otherwise).

Jrpgs(action and turn based) are heading boldly into a niche western game. Sad too, because a couple of gens ago they were coveted and loved.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 Diablo 3 will probably outsell everything that Square Enix produces in that time period combined.

Square has absolutely no idea what they’re talking about anymore,. They’re just making it up as they go along at this point.

5. Clupula

Personally, I’m from the school that says Japanese developers should focus on what they do well, not on what is the current trend. I had absolutely no interest in Skyrim this week, since Oblivion bored the living shit out of me (except for the assassin’s guild missions and the shimmering isles stuff). Versus XIII, on the other hand, is still probably my most anticipated game this entire gen.

I think it’s a huge mistake for Japanese publishers to spend their time trying to focus so much on the West. The results are usually disastrous. I would like to see them just focus on what appeals to their region and if it sells here, it sells here.

The success of Halo and Call of Duty prove that as long as you market something enough, no matter how mediocre it is, it’ll still sell. They could make the most Japanese game imaginable (think God Hand as a turn-based RPG, with loli characters), and if there was a billboard on every other corner for it, it would sell millions in the West.

You want to be successful here? Have a big marketing budget and get some reviewers in your pocket. Don’t change your games to appeal to us.

6. Phoenixblight

“I would like to see them just focus on what appeals to their region and if it sells here, it sells here.”

That is actually wrong the numbers for JRPGs from 90s-2000 to now is abysmal. Most Japan developers are in this mentality of either they stick with what they know with little to no innovation from 20 years ago or they go and try to do what Square did and change the formula without looking at what people are actually wanting out of their games. This is why Square started by western developers because they have lost touch and believe this is only way to stay in the game.

Japan is not relevant to the industry anymore. The west has taken over and have won. Japan looks at what the west does and then make their own version of it, only one that is on top of their game for the most part is Nintendo.

7. Ireland Michael

The problem here solely lies with the advancement of technology.

The more powerful the technology gets, the more expensive the games are too much.

You could make a retail game for a 10th of the cost they are now, and still sell millions, meaning that the profit margins were huge.

Now? People won’t even give you a game a second chance most of the time unless it’s ridiculously shiny and impressive looking.

They’re trying to expand their because the option of simply “sticking to what they know best” is exactly what has these companies in their poor financial state in the first place.

But gamers will still demand more and more power, better and better graphics. Just try to understand the (literal) price that comes with that.

8. OlderGamer

PB and Michael +1

“only one that is on top of their game for the most part is Nintendo.”

Very true. While it may not be a JRPG, I am loving the new Kirby Dreamland game. I am a big fan of Nintendo games, just not always such a big fan of Nintendo hardware.