Battlefield 3 patch to address tactical light complaints

Monday, 14th November 2011 00:26 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DICE plans to do something about the tactical light in Battlefield 3 before any more controllers are snapped in rage.

After discussing the problem in a podcast, gameplay designer Alan Kertz tweeted a couple of images showing the proposed change to the lights; the blinding effect remains in place, but won’t be effective at a distance.

Other proposed changes include rebalancing of mobile AA guns to be less likely to send airborne vehicles careening wildly off into the middle of nowhere, and some method of repairing jets.

Not date has been set for the patch. Battlefield 3 is available now on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Virginityrocks

The flashlight has serious drawbacks. If you use it, any player can see you. I’ve gotten so many retarded snipers and people hiding in bushes because of it.

2. OlderGamer

The flashlights are bad for me, but not because of gameplay. They can give me migranes. Not kidding, I can be somewhat light sensitive. Gameplaywise they are still a pain in the ass, they use a supression effect, so when you have a light in your eyes, your acurcy drops. Its a problem imo.

While they are tweaking thing how about some more freaking AA guns in spots where they could actualy be useful?

Also after a crapload of time play at this point I feel like the game has two classes. Engineer and Assult. I feel that the game needs a class redo. Heals on support, morter on recon for starters. I have grown tired of playing my engineer, but if I want to help my team win and score a solid amount of points, its all I can play.

3. Gekidami

I dont think i’ve ever actually seen any mobile AA.

4. NightCrawler1970

Why use a flashlight on bright daylight? i thought it was a flash-hider on a barrel.. Can’t believe why they don’t test the game out before they launch it????? 2 patches within 2 weeks… gheez….

5. freedoms_stain

@3, it resembles a light tank, the driver takes control of a full auto machine cannon. It’s probably one of the most dangerous vehicles in the game because it easily shreds aircraft to pieces, chews infantry and even does pretty heavy damage to armoured vehicles, including heavy tanks.

As for the classes, if you can’t score well as Support with a c4 kit you’re probably not very imaginative on the battlefield. Plenty of BC2 players forsook their assault rifles in favour if an all-kit weapon and infinite c4 and were perfectly effective at anti-vehicle warfare if not more so than engineers. To be sure I always feared the c4 ninja much more than any rocket firing engineer.

6. Gekidami

^ Are they only in Rush? I’ve pretty much only played Conquest, and i can safely say that at least on console, there arent any.

Though i do remember them from BF2, they were better at killing troops then aircraft.

7. Dralen

@4 You can turn the flashlight on and off you know?

8. freedoms_stain

@6, they’re defo on Caspian Border CQ. I dunno if there are maybe less of them about on console because there are only 12 man teams.

@4, Alan Kertz posted stuff about real tactical lights on his Twitter, they are actually effective in daylight, albeit not at the stupid ranges they work in BF3.

I wish they’d negate or reduce the effect from friendlies, irl I’d take care not to shine my torch in my comrades face, in BF3 the torch shines where you look simply because in games your gun is locked to where you look. Shouldn’t have to turn it on and off just not to blind my team mates.

9. DiodeX

They could do with nerfing the repair touch as well, far to effective. In BC2 they had it right that it would run out after a bit of use. It can take age’s to take down a tank unless there are 3 people hitting it(or kill the engineer is the other option)

10. notpill

@7 Yes, you can turn off the flashlight and actually the only way to play safe with it is turn it on only in CQC.

11. Iliad

@5 – C4 Ninjas – love it! Soooo many kills with C4, as in BC2 – especially enjoy placing C4 on the main road of travel if retreating to defend the next set of M-Coms, waiting for an enemy vehicle to drive over it and then boom!!!!

12. DSB

Really, they have a lot more to fix than just tac lights. The whole idea of being able to blind people with an attachment should’ve been seen as a stupid design decision from day one.

The major issues are with the class balance, weapon balance and seemingly rising number of cheaters. And of course battlelog instability.

I don’t know why they always use the M249, but I’ve been in two games now where guys have run around firing a single shot, and headshotting whoever happens to be in front of them, no matter the range. The fact that they’re only shooting once seems to indicate either some kind of glitch or at least a cheat.

Assault is massively overpowered due to the unbalanced XP you get from touching a guy that’s dead on the ground. There’s no way that should ever pay the same as an actual kill, or even worse as a vehicle disable, which is vastly more work. That’s two RPGs, a lucky hit on a mine, or a good run with C4, just from touching a guy on the ground. Ridiculous.

And then there’s the AEK 971. What a douche-weapon. I honestly feel bad for playing with it, because it’s so unbalanced compared to pretty much every other rifle. You’re never going to lose a duel with it, even to an engineer carrying a SCAR-H, which is pretty much why half the assaults I see are running around with it. It’s like the AN-94/M60 fiasco all over again.

This time it really sucks. I wasn’t surprised to see that sort of thing in BC2 because it wasn’t a very clever design, but this time around they have it so nearly right, and those things ruin a lot more of the experience.

13. Ireland Michael

“Assault is massively overpowered due to the unbalanced XP you get from touching a guy that’s dead on the ground.”

Wait, what?

14. DSB

@13 With paddles, shocking him back to life and claiming the same ammount of XP that you would get from actually killing someone.

If you stand around a doorway just ressing people who are mindlessly taking grenades, you will get far more XP than you ever would killing the enemy and taking a flag.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Well, in fairness, keeping the team alive can make our break a victory. It’s an incredibly important role.

I do agree though, the XP for resuscitation could be at least halved.

16. DSB

@15 That depends vastly on the circumstances. If you’re just standing around grinding guys who are dying pointlessly in a doorway shootout, instead of being aggressive and trying to win the game, then you might be limiting the damage, but it’s like plugging a sinking ship.

When I do that I’m usually fully aware that I could do way more for the strategic game by pursuing the flags instead of ressing the idiots, but ressing the idiots just gives more moolah.

In a tight game, it could possibly make all the difference. But then so could killing a lot of their guys in a hurry.

17. silkvg247

@16 aggressive medics are dead medics which defeats the object of playing a medic.

I’ve turned so many games around by letting my team take point, covering the rear, and rezzing where needed. Also hiding if need be so I’m a mobile spawn point.

I’m crap at actual inf combat anyway, so at least this way I’m contributing to a game.

18. jamied_uk

hi i want ps3 buttons changed so that R1 AND R2 are swapped and aim is L2

ALTERNATIVELY JUST ALLOW CUSTOM BUTTON SETUP

19. ManuOtaku

Well i am not agaisnt the flashlights because more often than not, it reveals the enemy position just lik the laser guide attachment, but i grant they have an excesive suppresion effect on the accuracy, most of the time i point to the center of the light, where the body should be and nothing, that i do find it irritating but is not that often really.

The thing i hate the most is the Shotguns with the frag grenades, it can erase two teams on a few shots, i know is difficult to handle it right, but once you figure it out it can be a game changer, and should be tuned down, especially if you took into consideration that should be for suppresion purposses only, not like a rain of rocket bullets, but i did never tried myself that, i am only good with the DOA shotgun, the others not so much.

20. freedoms_stain

@19, they discovered that the USAS wasn’t receiving the drop in ROF it should with frags and that’s the setup most people are complaining about, it is getting fixed.

21. ManuOtaku

#20 yes thats the one, man those are killing machines, they can erase and entire platton, i hate those USAS With the Frags, the thing is that i dont use it, i dont like to take advantadge of this things, i mean this glitch on some weapons, even if i die a lot, i done see it like fair play.
    P.S Thanks, i didnt knew they are on their way to fix it, thank god

22. DSB

It’s gonna take a good bit of balancing. I’m disappointed that it wasn’t more rounded at launch, I sense a rushjob. It’s still fun, but competitively it has a ways way to go.