Activision donates $3 million to the Call of Duty Endowment

Friday, 11th November 2011 16:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

In its press release detailing the banner sales of Modern Warfare 3, Activision also announced that it had donated $3 million to the Call of Duty Endowment which supports American servicemen and women, by providing job placement and training services for veterans. The monetary amount was added to the $2 million already donated by the firm to the Endowment, which has provided “more than $1.5 million in grants and scholarships to veterans’ organizations across the country” since CEO Bobby Kotick started the non-profit in November 2009.

1. John117

Wow, I must admit that I’m a little surprised. Well, good to hear they dont squander it all away on making the next CoD games atleast.

2. alimokrane

Pffft.. what a joke these things are these days. A donation is being used for publicity purposes. You want to do good, do it quietly, no need to get PR from it. This applies to all PR-seeking donators not just Activision.

3. Phoenixblight

You jealous? Because of this I know multiple vets that have gotten a scholarship for school, along with internships within Activision.

4. alimokrane

@3 Jealous? please… I do know that donations are beig used for good purposes, I just dont like companies using them to get some good PR.

5. Ireland Michael

@2 Publicity? It’s named after their game!

As long as the money is being used for a good cause, it really doesn’t matter how they go about it. Full kudos to Activision for doing this, this is a great service, providing something to men and women who have done their part in life to deserve it.

It was barely a footnote mention in one of their press releases. They weren’t exactly running around telling everyone about it.

“A man who is good enough to shed his blood for his country is good enough to be given a square deal afterwards. More than that no man is entitled to, and less than that no man shall have.”
    – “Theodore Roosevelt”

6. Yoshi

No British love? FUCK YOU THEN XD

p.s @5 That quote is horrible XD So Hitlers men that killed hundreds of men, woman and child, died for their country and Hitler, so that makes it all right and worthy of something. How about we talk more recently with Iraq? XD

Terrible terrible quote.

7. DSB

@5 That’s a good quote, and I agree.

@6 Does it say “That includes war criminals”? I don’t see it.

Really, the German army was a lot more than the SS, or just random sadists. Members of my family were tortured and killed by those folks, and while I don’t have any problem with what happened to Germany in retaliation, I don’t hold any ill will towards those who simply fought for their country.

8. Ireland Michael

@6 Please, spare me. I lived in a country where, for 70 years, you risked being blown to pieces by religious extremists simply by walking down the street.

There’s a difference between people who fought to stand up for their country, their family, and their friends, and war criminals.

Not every German soldier was a Nazi. Some of them just wanted to keep the bread on their family’s tables and stop all the senseless death and destruction.

@7 Fuller respect for the fact that it simply a footnote in their press release, instead of some big giant publicity campaign. That would have just been tasteless.

9. silkvg247

I don’t think the recepients of the charitable donation really give a hoot that the source gets a little good PR out of it.

I don’t care if they only did it for PR, either; though it’s quite a skeptical way of viewing things.

Main thing is a worthy cause gets £££’s.

10. Yoshi

@7 & 8, that’s your views on them. Their views on America and British army could be the same. They believe they are/were fighting for their country, other countries may not see it that way. Either way that quote is terrible because it all depends on who says it.

11. DSB

@10 No it doesn’t. It says that every soldier is entitled to proper accomodation after the war.

It doesn’t say criminals, it doesn’t say Americans, it doesn’t say Germans.

Of course in the context it meant the American soldier, but the best quotes usually don’t need a specific context.

People outside the battlefield may have a certain view of certain soldiers and what they do based on the media, but for the soldiers themselves it’s just a battle. They usually don’t have the privilege of discussing the finer points of justice or right and wrong, before killing eachother.

12. Ireland Michael

@11 Well said.

I hate to take a page from a pseudo-intellectual farce like Metal Gear Solid 3 but here goes. Few soldiers have a say in the ideologies of their leaders, but that’s not why most of them are doing it. They just want to support their country and see that those close to them don’t suffer because of another country’s crimes.

13. Fin

NO POLITICS IN MY VG247 THANKS

14. Yoshi

@11, So when Iraq was fighting America and British armies they were criminals? Because technically they didn’t do anything it was the leaders of their armies that were the criminals, the rest were just soldiers fighting for their country and leader. You see those soldiers as criminals in your eyes! And they might see British and American armies as criminals in their eyes! We invade their land, bomb their houses etc etc.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Please point out where in DSB’s post he painted all Iraqi people and soldiers as war criminals. He didn’t even mention Iraq…

He’s referring to the kind of people who *are* war criminals.

16. ultramega

“Only very few corporations will ever try to better society for the sake of bettering society. Whatever compels them to spread the wealth for the greater good is pretty irrelevant, as long as the money is there, and is being used properly.”

Hmm. While I do agree this is a great gift to those receiving it, I very much doubt this is any attempt to better society. The point is is that giving money away randomly doesn’t please shareholders, and the main point of this seems to be some tax-deductible PR.

17. Ireland Michael

@16 Again, it was a minor footnote in a press release. It was hardly being “promoted” in any major way. Tax deductible, blah blah blah, it doesn’t matter. The money is helping people.

18. DSB

@14 What on earth does that have to do with the quote?

If a soldier commits a crime (violence and destruction with no military aim, or beyond the conventional rules of war) then he’s a criminal, no matter who he is.

You seem to want to paint everything black and white. That’s your own problem. Few things in war work that way.

19. ultramega

Did I say the money isn’t helping people? Of course it’s going to, no matter where it comes from. I’m not trying to belittle 3 million dollars of funds going towards a good cause.

I just think it’s foolish to write this off as altruism, especially knowing Kotick’s reputation as Activision’s head-honcho. Now if it were coming from his pockets, it would seem a little more kindhearted indeed. (Though, I could be completely wrong. Maybe he and his shareholders are just being nice people. But businesses don’t tend to run that way).

Besides, PR is still PR, and who knows, they could still promote it further.

By the way, I hardly think you’re doing much to support your argument, whatever it actually is (because I’m not disagreeing that the money is helping people. It is the right thing to do. I just don’t see Acti and their shareholders doing it out of the “kindness of their hearts”), when you’re just dismissing everything someone else says, and putting in comments like “blah, blah, blah”. But whatever. It’s just interesting when you pride yourself in being so rational.

20. DSB

@19 My point was pretty much the opposite. But whether it’s altruism or not, the money still does a bit of good where it ends up.

When faced with an alternative of nothing getting nowhere, and bettering nothing, I still consider that favorable.

How many people give to charity because they’re good people? Most people I know give to charity because they know they’re not, and they figure it’s an easy few karma points.

They don’t even have the slightest idea of where the money goes or what kind of organization they’re supporting. 50% to the management expenses of an NGO is not really my idea of money well spent.

People are hypocritical and shallow. You still have to take what you can get.

21. ultramega

I definitely agree with that sentiment. No worries.

22. Gama_888

Jesus Christ.

No idea what hell of an argument is going on above me but the fact that it started from Activision donating to charity bewilderes me.

23. ultramega

You can go fuck yourself? Try contributing something, maybe.