Quick Quotes: Sledgehammer on making life hard for campers in MW3

Tuesday, 8th November 2011 20:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“I think that the person who plays the sniper on a team can have a ton of fun, but one of the biggest criticisms you always hear is about campers, right? We don’t want to emphasise that dynamic so much that the other people in that engagement aren’t having fun. We have less verticality in our maps, there are less camping points. And so the challenge for snipers is to hang back on the perimeter or the periphery and pick people off – the maps aren’t set up to really capitalise on that, by intention. Unlike other games, where you’re going to be sniped from across the map by a guy you can’t even see, and then respawn and you’ve got to run for five minutes to get back to the battle, right? That’s not the Modern Warfare 3 method. This is about getting you in the action, you’re pulling the trigger fast, you know what I mean? That’s the essence of it.” – Sledgehammer’s Michael Condrey to OXM on camping.

1. Hcw87

Yes, we’ve all seen the youtube vids allready popping up with quickscoping kids running around getting easy kills like CoD4/MW2 all over again. Is this better than having real sniper play like BF3? Hell no. Glad i’m staying away from this.

Watch that and it’ll make the decision to skip this game that much easier.

2. Ireland Michael

“Unlike other games, where you’re going to be sniped from across the map by a guy you can’t even see, and then respawn and you’ve got to run for five minutes to get back to the battle, right?”

So much for the other teaming playing nice.

In Battlefield, you’d have to be a completely tit not to be able to take out snipers. You can get in a vehicle to get across the map faster, or simply change your class to recon and snipe them back. Only an idiot of a player is going to keep getting sniped by the same person again and again.

Then again, it’s Call of Duty. Expecting players to use skill to deal with campers is clearly expecting too much.

3. GrimRita

Then the question arises – why bother having a sniper in the game in the first place, if you want to be arseholes about having them in the game?

“A sniper is a marksman who shoots targets from concealed positions or distances exceeding the capabilities of regular personnel”

So if you dont understand the role of a Sniper Sledgehammer – dont put it in your game!

This ranks up there with DICE being stupid about going prone. Claiming that the army hardly go prone. In other words, their shitty game engine couldnt do prone in BC2

@2 – too true. However, I have seen snipers(myself being one of them) not being dealt with and racking up huge scores. If players are too stupid to go back and kill the sniper, they should expect to be killed!

4. Peetry

Have watched my flatmate play a lot of this over the last day and I have to agree most of the maps are useless for snipers (hard scopers at least). As for the thinly veiled BF reference of getting sniped across the map, well tbh that doesn’t happen very often. If it does happen then that sniper has had to adjust for insane dip and movement + a headshot with a non-silenced rifle to achieve a one shot kill. In that case I’m ready to congratulate said sniper and not cry about it.

That said to each his own, my flatmate is certainly loving MW3

5. Talkar

I think you might want to refresh to BF3 instead of BC2 since BF3 is the latest in the franchise ;)

6. DarkElfa

@3, I get where you’re coming from Grim, but sometimes I really hate the prone in BF3.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Why? All it does it make someone an easier target 90% of the time.

8. GrimRita

@5/6 I havent and wont play BF3 until EA remove Origin as a requirement. I even gave my pre-order gear away! BF3 prone in beta(and alpha) was ok but seriously – if you are going to include this class in the game, there is no point trying to make life a misery for them.

Two silly developers with below average games imo

9. DSB

I don’t think being sniped from across the map is all that bad. I’m glad that DICE finally made some sniper rifles that aren’t apparently powered by a paintball gas canisters. The bulletdrop is far more realistic (and thus fun to play with) this time.

I think the worst is being sniped from across the map by a machinegun. That’s pretty damn stupid.

No matter how much the BF faithful want it to be true though, you’re still gonna tab vast distances across those maps, which isn’t super great when you just want to capture that fucking gas station once and for all.

10. absolutezero

Implying the snipers in CoD are actually sniping instead of hanging about on top of things to jump off of and spin about exploiting the hit detection.

You don’t know how to phaserrr shot man? You is rubbish man!

11. OrbitMonkey

I’ve nothing but a grudging respect for the guys who can quickscope In CoD, its not something i practice, but its a attacking style of play I can respect.

I’ve even played as a sniper class myself on BF3. Very effective when you remove the scope & use it as a high powered assualt rifle ;)

12. GrimRita

@9 or by a shotgun. The amount of times I saw that on BC2.

13. DSB

I wish, I haven’t found any slugs for the ones in BF3 yet, and that’s kinda silly.

Shotguns are awesome and they could certainly stand to be slightly less contextual.

14. OlderGamer

Slugs are in there DSB.

15. IL DUCE

Yeah this guy’s a dick…any non-retarded person would grab a vehicle, spawn on a squad mate or spawn on a captured flag (if playing conquest)…no need to run all the way back to get shot again

Unfortunately I have some friends who don’t play Battlefield for the same reason…the concept of choosing a spawn point and the use of vehicles must be too complicated for them