Quick Quotes: Infinity Ward dismisses “silly publisher talk” over BF3 vs MW3 rivalry

Tuesday, 8th November 2011 13:59 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“When both games succeed it’s better for the industry as a whole. It’s not just us – we want the gaming industry to succeed because the better the gaming industry does the better we all do. We root for everybody. Honestly, it’s the fans you want to listen to. They’re gamers, they’re going to play both games, both games are great. Much respect for everyone involved on the DICE side and I think they feel the same way with us. We’re friends with them. It’s not what they portray on the EA side.” – Modern Warfare 3 executive producer Mark Rubin to Eurogamer.

1. YoungZer0

If EA would’ve listened to the gamers, they wouldn’t have released Origin. Still can’t believe they fucked up the release of BF3 just because of their stupid greediness.

2. UKTomm

It was EA most of the time being immature and throwing quotes out like ‘want Call of Duty to rot from the core’.

3. DSB

Sounds like that guy didn’t have a PR minder sitting behind him. Either that or a significantly better one than the DICE guy Pat interviewed.

4. GrimRita

After all these years, EA still dont ‘get it’ about managing the community. Although I am not a CoD fan, clearly yet again, this has overshadowed BF3 as expected.

If EA want to claw back market share, then they will need to stop acting like spoilt Labour voting twats and remove its spyware Origin from the world.

5. YoungZer0

@4: The only thing that bothers me about the videogame industry is that they’ll never admit a mistake. If they do something wrong, like fuck up a release by using some weird DRM, they will never re-release it. Instead they’ll try to make up with a new release.

Or actually make it worse.

So i guess we will see spyware Origin for a long long time.

6. DSB

@5 Very true.

But what bothers me especially about that, is that games is still a pretty special medium. I couldn’t give less of a shit about whether it’s art or what it’s “place” in society might be, but I do think it ties people together better than most movies or books ever could.

That used to extend itself all the way to developers as well. Publishers were always killjoys, but now it’s just completely enveloped every part of the process. Back in the 90′s, you could feel a real sense of understanding with developers just from reading a (PAPER!) magazine article.

Today it’s all PR drivel. They might as well use preprogrammed robots. Look at the interview Pat did with the guy from DICE. He’s apparently not allowed to talk to people without a guy from the publisher sitting behind him. You’d almost think it was a joke.

7. OrbitMonkey

I really.do love this whole good guy vibe Activision have going on, in regards to all the smacktalk. It’s like their channling David Grohl :)

8. YoungZer0

@6: Yeah, it’s definitely sad to see just how much power publisher have over developers. It’s a trend i hope will change in the near future.

9. GrimRita

@6 totally agree. I think the ‘fun’ has gone out of gaming thanks to all these ‘suits’ who demand huge amounts of money in the name of ‘PR’.

A title I worked on moons ago came to us as a ‘Mad Max esq’ online persistent world racer game full of guilds/challenges etc against a backdrop of a limited well know resource. Instead it turned into a generic, dull and extremely poor racer thanks to the PR/Marketing folk simply not ‘getting it’.

10. G1GAHURTZ

Class.

Get some, EA.

11. Ireland Michael

Kudos to Infinity Wad for being the bigger men. E.A.’s Modern Warfare pokes have always been extremely juvenile.

12. absolutezero

What gets me down is gamers themselves buying into the whole analyst predicts sales numbers and fucking NPDs as if they mean anything.

Remember when people cared about how many games Sonic and Knuckles sold? Yeah me neither.

13. YoungZer0

@12: Because you were a child.

14. DSB

Well I was a child too, and I remember the Nintendo kids being total assholes for not realizing that Sonic was a million times more awesome than Mario.

It certainly is true that people are buying into the commercial side of it a lot more than they ever did, though.

15. viralshag

Yeah, well, Optimus Prime would bitch slap both Mario and Sonic… in one motion… while on Cybertron… and he didn’t even need a videogame to be cooler.

16. absolutezero

Maybe its just something your meant to take forgranted, an interest in game sales numbers like it somehow reflects that you made a wise decision in purchasing a popular game.

Or re-enforcing your choice in an under-appreciated classic. I bought ICO on launch and never really cared how many discs it sold. See it has no baring on what I think of what I play. Im guess im now in the minority.