Getting more out of 360 is “a matter of code magic, time and effort,” says Bleszinski

Tuesday, 8th November 2011 14:36 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Cliff Bleszinski is of the opinion there’s more developers can do with Xbox 360, thanks to the six years studios have spent with the console’s architecture.

Speaking with Edge, Bleszinski said that since developers have had time to get familiar with 360s’ inner workings, it is easier to “squeeze” more out of the console despite its age.

“With creative programming you can squeeze anything out of any given platform,” he said. “Go back to the demo scene where these guys would take a 286 PC and in 38k make a demo that rivalled the most triple-A game of the time.

“It’s just a matter of code magic, time and effort. I don’t know how much longer the 360 will be around, but I’m sure that if we have a product coming out before the end of [its] lifecycle we’ll continue to try and squeeze more water from that stone.”

This is exactly what the team behind Gears of War 3 did, according to Blezsinski, who said Epic pushed the console “even further” than it had before.

“We’re kind of at that point where in the SNES [days] they started using Mode 7 in ways you never expected,” he said. “We’re now at at the point where it’s not learning how to use the hardware, it’s learning to trick the hardware into doing what you want it to do.

“The first thing I was ecstatic about was the new lighting…we’re at the point where an artist can just let the artist breathe, a nice brick wall can just be a nice brick wall; it doesn’t need 8000 pipes layered on it.”

Xbox 360 was released in 2005, and there has been many a rumor, especially of late, regarding the next iteration of the console.

The latest rumor has the system being cheaper and smaller with a Windows 9-based operating system.

1. reask

Funny I was playing gears 3 last night and I found myself comparing the graphics to UC2
    I reckoned myself that they were on a par actually.

2. OlderGamer

Would also be nice if “getting more” out of a modern day console included games with some color to them. I see a lot of games that, while high in detail, look completly washed out and devoid of color. Instead each stage has an over all color them, grey, brown, green, ect.

3. reask

Gears and uncharted look pretty good OG.

4. Quiiick

Getting more out of anything is a matter of time and effort. *duh*

5. Zana

@2 Especially Bleszinski’s games… This guy is all about technology but when will he finally care about art direction? Gears of War is extremely weak in that respect.

6. Eregol

@5 That MO is Epic in general really.
    4 Quiiick hit the nail on the head though. Time and effort is all any company needs. It’s just rarely are they given that resource.

7. Lounds

Most Developers know how to code for 360 seeing as they port the games to all the other consoles, how about you try and get more power out of the PS3 cause only first party titles have done that.

8. OlderGamer

They look washed out to me, tbh reask. And its not just those games. But a lot of games do. Go compare a game like say Dungeon Defenders to most big box releases, you will see what I mean. Its like a slider scale, the higher the res, the more detail in the game the less colors they can use. The truth is that that there is more color in the average SNES game then we have in most new releases.

Its not really that the games look bad, but they look washed out. As if someone tinkered with the picture settings on the TV. This is esp the case, I have found, in alot of shooters. Step outside for a bit. Look around, notice the colors. The different shades. Textures. Our games have a long long ways to go. I am hoping that next gen we get more color depth. I doubt the graphic leap next gen will be too significant otherwise. I just want smoother frame rates, smarter AI, and more colors.

9. OlderGamer

Just take a peak at these pics, and you can easily see what I am talking about.

And being fair, BF3 is no different.

10. Quiiick

@#8
    I don’t think that the lack of color variety in [some] games is forced by the amount of detail. It’s mostly an artistic decision.

In the real world, color is created by the reflection of light from object-surfaces. In 3d computer generated images and therefore also in video-games, it is among the most difficult things to achieve realistic looking lighting.

So, what you consider a “washed out” look may very well be produced by inferior lighting and not the kind of color palettes used.

11. minxamo

Who cares if they manage to squeeze another few polys out, it will make fuck-all difference if they continue to insist on making HURR SO REALISTIC graphics with the colour palette of a cardboard box.
    Okami rivals modern games in terms of aesthetic merit, because it has an amazing art style.

12. IL DUCE

You can dislike the game or its aesthetic but you can’t deny that the game is beautiful…I happen to enjoy all aspects of it, really good looking game and I think the 360 still has a couple of years left in it