Joe Danger dev understands PS3 fan’s resentment over XBLA announcement

Friday, 4th November 2011 16:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Hello Games’ Sean Murray has responded to criticism over Joe Danger being released on XBLA, stating that he understands where PS3 fans are coming from.

Murray said when Joe Danger was originally conceived, it wasn’t for any specific platform, as the developers had “a PC version, a PS3 version and a 360 version running” that it used “kite around” to shows.

“It’s always weird when what you perceive is an exclusive title goes to another platform,” Murray told Eurogamer in an interview. “It’s part of the culture. I used to be a Sony fanboy myself – not cut me in half and I bleed Sony or anything like that, but just, I quite like the XMB, and telling people, I quite like Blu-rays. That was me.

“Before we managed to find a way to release Joe Danger on PSN, we didn’t know what platform we’d be on. It wasn’t like it was complete, but it was always there running. We used to say we had the world’s rarest game. Joe Danger XBLA had been played by four people in our office. Of course, when you’re in that situation you want to get it out. It had always been something we talked about with Microsoft every now and then.”

Murray said the studio finally got the go-ahead from Microsoft a few months back, and has been working on the XBLA version of the game since.

“It’s helped that Joe Danger has been a really popular game on PSN and has done well for itself… I certainly know when we dealt with MS before, right at the start of Joe Danger when we were originally doing it, compared to dealing with them now, we’ve certainly found a different attitude and more openness.”

Joe Danger: Special Edition, when released on Xbox Live Arcade, will contain “new environments, gameplay modes, characters” and more. There’s no date yet.

1. daytripper

these types of people are starting to piss me off, if that’s one of their intention then congratulations

get another petition going you ignorant, over the top self entitled twats

2. Joe Musashi

I’ve not witnessed any resentment from anywhere about this game going cross platform.

Seems like this is a non issue that folk are trying to make an issue out of.

JM

3. monkeygourmet

I grabbed Joe Danger as soon as I got my PS3 after seeing so many glowing reviews. Unfortunately I found boring, lacking in character and repetitive.

After playing trails on xbla, this was a real anti climax.

4. Razor

Let’s be honest, this isn’t exactly FF XIII level of controversy…

Think they’re just trying to get some publicity. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. They are indie after all, need all the publicity you can get.

5. Ge0force

I think it’s great that an awesome game like this goes multiplatform. The more people can play it the better. But what I don’t like is that this guy called ps3-owners “playtesters”. We payed for the game ffs!

Also, I thought this game was funded with Sony’s money. It’s very weird that Sony allows it to go multiplatform.

6. mojo

the games a blast, but the second to last level renders teh rest of the game pretty obsolete..
    i found that level double as hard as the redt of the game combined…

7. IL DUCE

Who gives a crap anyway…the only games that should be console exclusives are the one’s that are published/developed by the companies that own the consoles…if Sony doesn’t make it, it shouldn’t be exclusive to PS3…if Microsoft doesn’t make it, then it shouldn’t be exclusive to X Box…it’s really simple as that…so who cares, ps3 fanboys can get over it…