Producer calls Deus Ex: Human Revolution a “nightmare”

Wednesday, 2nd November 2011 23:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Eidos Montreal seems to have had a hell of a time reviving one of the most venerated PC franchises of all time.

“It has been a nightmare, to be honest. We started from scratch. From recruitment to release date, it’s been a nightmare,” producer David Anfossi told EDGE.

Anfossi reiterated this message in a panel delivered at the Montreal International games Summit, as reported by Gamasutra.

“It was the most challenging project I’ve ever had to manage,” he said, before adding that while not perfect, Human Revolution achieved its goals.

“It was a solid game, with areas of improvements. I’m very proud of the team. I think we answered the mandate.”

One of Human Revolution’s most criticised “areas of improvement” is its boss fights, and Anfossi admitted to EDGE that he woudn’t do it again if given the chance.

“We knew that it would be a weakness for the game, that we had to make a compromise to deliver it [on] two levels. First, the boss fights were forced, which is not the Deus Ex experience. Second, there is no mix [of] solutions to tackle the boss fights, which is not Deus Ex either.”

The team went forward in this knowledge, because “there had to be some compromise”. While not defending the decision, Anfossi was very clear that Eidos Montreal takes responsibility for the boss fights, and that no blame should be attached to Grip Entertainment, which developed them.

“The problem was not the supplier, it was what we did with them,” he said.

“The boss fights were too much for the team to do internally in the time we had. We totally underestimated the effort to do that correctly. We had to work with an external supplier with that, but the design and everything is from the team at Eidos Montreal.”

Deus Ex: Human Revolution currently holds an 89 Metacritic average on consoles, and 90 on PC.

1. Night Hunter

That was … honest. Feels kinda strange to read when normally all you hear is PR Bullshit.

2. fearmonkey

The bosses were the weakest points of a overall great game.
    I had a tough time at first with the first boss, but the others I beat no issues, and I never used the typhoon the first play through.
    I recently finished a 3rd playthough, my first on the 360 version, and used the typhoon alot. That made the game too easy imho, that was way too powerful of a weapon. The grenade launcher was also a bit too powerful as well, but not nearly as much as the Typhoon. The crossbow was kind of useless, never used it much. Stun gun was my favorite weapon, the tranquilizer the 2nd best, and for stopping power Shotgun.
    The machine gun, sniper rifle, revolver (with mods), rocket launcher were all interesting, but not as useable as the above in my case.

3. DSB

For me the bossfights paled in comparison to the poor AI and the lousy writing.

I guess if you’re dealing with setting up a new studio and you have a deadline to make, then you may wind up settling for the team you have, rather than the team you want, but then that would still be Square Enix fundamentally not understanding the franchise.

If there’s one thing you need to get right it’s the choice factor, and the story factor. HR failed on both counts, even though it’s fair to say that they came close to the real McCoy in a lot of regards.

It’s not that Deus Ex was an epic, but at least to me it’s never been a straight parody. HR seemed like nothing but. Everyone was a parody of a cliche of a stereotype, and the plot was just ridiculous. Changes versus fear of changes. Just more worn out tripe.

4. Freek

You know developers; if you can’t do a good bossfight or can’t do amazing multiplayer? It’s okay not to include those and focus on making the rest of the game better.

5. Edo

Better AI,and somewhat better graphics and it could have been one of the best games ever,it’s still great though.

6. YoungZer0

Don’t care about Ai or bossfights. You can see past that.

You can’t see past a boring story and stupid characters.

7. viralshag

It was a good game, a 90 on Metacritic? Not in my eyes.

It was certainly a solid game and I had a lot of fun with it. But as people mentioned above: AI, boss fights, story, characters, *some* voice acting… was pretty damn poor.

Some major rose tinted nostalgic reviews came out for this one.

8. OrbitMonkey

Well I thoroughly enjoyed this and appreciate all their hard work. Looking forward to a.sequal and stun gun ftw!!

9. Shonak

@6: Yeah, I agree. The story wanted to have a few twists, but fair enough, if you have played the first deus ex you already knew how most of the things would turn out (e.g. Picus). Also the characters were truly not developed. Heck, the arms dealer at UNATCO told you more about his life and than Adam Jensen did throughout the game. But at least the writing was pretty solid, and good atmosphere, as well as okay gameplay. Just could’ve been so much more.

10. endgame

still, I think it was a really good game. I’ve had a blast with it. the story was really really good. kept playing just to see what was going to happen next. :)