EA confident BF3 DLC will retain players despite impending MW3 release

Wednesday, 2nd November 2011 14:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

EA executive vice president Patrick Soderlund is confident the firm’s content plans will keep gamers interested in Battlefield 3, even with the deluge of titles releasing over the holidays.

Speaking with IGN, Soderlund said he’s also pleased at the number of new players the firm welcomed into the Battlefield fold. This helped the title achieve a banner 5 million sales in its first week, making it “the fastest selling game in the history of EA” despite a few launch hiccups.

“The fact that we’re seeing a lot of new Battlefield players come into the franchise means a lot to me,” he said. “That’s been something that I’ve been trying to push on for a long time, that we wanted to go wider, become a broader, established IP, and it seems like that’s really working for us, so that’s cool.

“Given the unprecedented user volume that we’ve seen, we have obviously had some hiccups during the week, and we’ve been working very actively on solving those, and most of the issues are behind us. The game is performing a lot better. Most people had a very smooth weekend, and we continue to improve the service as we go, basically.”

With the upcoming holiday season pressing, Soderlund is confident consumers will continue to show interest in Battlefield 3, even with seasonal juggernaut Call of Duty releasing next week as its biggest competitor.

“The holiday season is clearly very competitive, as we know,” he said. “We all respect what Call of Duty brings and what they’re going to come with, and I think that we have an industry-leading multiplayer game that will make people want to stay with us, frankly.

“If you look at all the reviews that we’ve gotten, not a single one that I’ve seen has been negative towards the multiplayer. In fact, many state that the multiplayer is the multiplayer experience to have, the best in the world. And if I can continue to harness that and work on improving that and give the consumers more of that, then hopefully they’re going to feel loyal to us and stay.”

“My focus has got to be on our product, and not necessarily on the others. And right now we’re out in the market, and that’s all I know. When they come out, they come out, and I wish them the best of luck. They’re partners in this industry, and I play all their games and I look forward to many of them, and all I can do is try and make sure that people stay interested and want to have more Battlefield.”

The first bit of content to arrive for BF3 is the Back to Karkand pack, which will be made available in December. It will be free to those who pre-ordered and £11.99 for those who didn’t.

1. tmac2011

i’m skipping battlefield. for now

2. DarkElfa

@1, your loss, it’s actually a brilliant game, technical issues not withstanding.

TBH though, they ought to release the Back to Karkland map pack for free to everyone as an apology for the launch issues and as a show that they they care more about customer loyalty than cash, whether that’s true or not.

3. viralshag

@2, They might well do that but I imagine they will want to get all the issues ironed out first. I imagine people playing the new maps with no problems would be better than “great map pack, shame I can’t play it” sort of replies.

I’m kinda glad they’re not out yet as I’m still slowly digesting all the maps we have at the moment in both Conquest and Rush modes. I think they said December for release? I think by that time B2K will be a nice refresher.

4. Ireland Michael

Frankly, I’ll be perfectly happy when all the noobs run off to the kindergarten shooter Modern Warfare 3, just so those of us who actually know how to play Battlefield will be left to enjoy it together.

5. DiodeX

@4 +1

6. StolenGlory

I know what you mean.

The amount of players that i’ve been squaded with, who during Rush games, fail to defend or attack the objective effectively in favour of getting kills has been pretty fucking frustrating to say the least.

Still, it’ll work itself out in the end like you say i’m sure.

7. Ireland Michael

@5 and 6, In fairness though, Bad Company 2 had the exact same problem at the start as well.

Once all the ADHD kiddies with short attention spans moved onto their latest fix (whatever Call of Duty was released that year), the game became infinitely more enjoyable.

8. Iliad

@4 +2

9. Yoshi

2 & 3 I doubt they’ll give it all for free, but possible one map like Wake Island seen as that has been in every Battlefield sequel (Not including the prequel BC)

10. viralshag

@6, Last night was the worst I’ve seen it. I ran a few games on the same team in a server and the attackers just set the charges within minutes. Why? Because the majority of the team got flanked and left 10 feet from the attackers spawn point wondering where everyone was…

“They’re here you morons!” is pretty much all I was screaming at my screen last night.

@9, We’ll have to wait and see. I’m sure someone mentioned to me that EA have already said something along the lines of “no compensation” but I’m not sure of that.

11. DiodeX

DiodeX xbox 360, always squad and play so ;)

12. Se_7_eN

@4 + 10000000000

13. silkvg247

Do you guys have a platoon? I’d love to play with some “clued up” folks in a squad. it’s so much easier to win a game with a good squad or two working together.

Edit: On PC version this is.

14. viralshag

Silk, check out the forum post:

Few of us have already partied up from the VG247 platoon. You can find me as Viralshag on there. ;)

15. silkvg247

HOOAH! Application sent. Thanks. :)

16. YoungZer0

Count me out. I came to my senses and realized i have to give it back as long as ORIGIN is attached. It’s ridiculous. I can’t properly play the game with it. I can only play it with a crack. And by using the crack i run into a chance of my account being banned.

Getting my money back and going to give it to them folks at Activision. I love BF3, i really do. The 3 hours i played yesterday were fantastic, but i just don’t understand why i have to waste 40 Euros for Spyware.

17. YoungZer0

@4: Sounding a lot like Erthazus here.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 Yeah, except I don’t play 500 hours of games I dislike.

19. G1GAHURTZ

@17:

“@4: Sounding a lot like worse than Erthazus here, as usual.”

Fixed.

20. DSB

I’d say the more maps they load onto it, and the sooner they do it, the better.

I’m gonna have to pay for them too, since I only got suckered in by friends after launch, but keeping the game interesting by having a lot to choose from has a pretty huge bearing on how likely I am to keep playing a game.

If anything, the biggest realization I get out of BF3 is how halfassed it makes BC2 look. There’s actually been a bit of care put into the maps, the guns, the fundamental gameplay mechanics. It’s an entirely different league.

21. YoungZer0

@18: Dunno about you, but i know i’ll enjoy MW3 for what it is. Hope EA changes its way soon, because the only thing standing between me and Battlefield 3 is ORIGIN.

@19: Thanks, but i like my comment better.

22. Ireland Michael

@20 For me, the one thing that stood out for me the most is how incredibly diverse the approach to every single map is, especially on Rush. Every single one seems to have its own completely unique concept, which completely changes up the tactics.

Daravand Peak is a constant downhill approach until the last point. Caspian Border is a huge, open area with focus on vehicle warfare. Seine Border has a big focus on defence, with open areas and tight alleyways. So on and so forth.

It’s glorious.

23. viralshag

The Seine map is by far my most favourite. In both Rush and Conquest I think.

24. Ireland Michael

@23 It’s definitely one of my favourites.

I had one of my most enjoyable matches ever there recently. I remember one part near the end distinctly, where were doing a terrible job trying to cap the point at the bridge in Rush. We were down to about 20 players. Kept getting shot down like flies every time we approached it.

Me and one of my friends had a brainstorm at that point, and we both slowly crossed the along the side of bridge while proned, whilst the teams at either side of the bridge were busy trying to slaughter each other. They didn’t even notice us.

Suffice to say, we got the point, and went on to win the match.

About the most exciting thing that happens in Call of Duty multiplayer is someone getting a lucky knife throw or headshot from a long distance near the end of a round.

25. sk4r

What are your thoughts on Metro Conquest? From what I’ve seen so far, the Americans never win.

26. viralshag

@25, Metro conquest at anything lower than 44 man is ok, more than that and it feels overcrowded. I have seen the US win, holding the upper station is really the decider in a lot of matches from what I’ve seen. If you can hold the Russians at the station entrances you’re sorted.

27. polygem

@1: i´m skipping too – at least for now. i am losing interest in this modern warfare realistic setting fps shooters recently. i can´t say why really, but the more realistic these games become the more i get a bad feeling playing them. i prefer more artistic/ fantasy/scifi oriented settings for sure. it´s more fun for me. that being said i was/am a huge bf fan but right now i enjoy halo reach again after not playing it online for quite some time. this game is so brilliant. one of the best console games ever. i finally started my legendary campaign and it is great fun. it´s the third time i play the campaign and i rareley do these things. halo is one of those rare gamplay beasts. it´s just fun to play the game. there´s halo ce anniversary coming out in a few days which means 7 old/new maps and another playthrough of the campaign and that is just awesome and will keep me busy. gears 3 is a masterpiece as well and sucking a lot of my time too. lots of sp and mp dlc is coming – bought seasons pass. and then there will be skyrim AND last not least my social life! there are too many games this fall/winter. i seriously can´t handle more than mentioned above. BF3 will have to wait.