Space Marine co-op DLC hitting Xbox 360 tomorrow

Tuesday, 1st November 2011 12:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

THQ has announced its free co-op DLC for Space Marine, Exterminatus, will be released on Xbox 360 tomorrow around 9am PST (noon EST, 4pm BST). Released for PC and PS3 last week, the DLC adds four-player co-op and along with the choice of three different marines: Assault, Devastator, and Tactical,  each with its own weapons and perks. More free and paid Space Marine DLC is planned for the future. Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. DarkElfa

Steph, are you as tired of the term “space marine” as the rest of us?

Not that you coined it or anything, I just mean I wish they’d let the classification die already. I mean Aliens came out when I was a kid and that was a looooooooooooooong time ago.

They’ve killed the term with so many games starring space marines already I just want them to try something new.

Maybe space ranger, though they may have to clear that one with Disney first.

2. revolting

So, there I was, about to launch into a massive “which Space Marines did it first” rant @1. I went to confirm my facts, though, and it turns out WH40k: Rogue Trader (i.e. the first edition) came out in 1987, a year after Aliens.

BRB, going to eat a healthy dose of humble pie.

I was fairly surprised, I was sure we were 40King it up as kids long before 87.

In response to your comment, though, yes, space marines are so heavily over-done, and need to be discontinued as a theme with the sole exceptions of WH40k and Alien games.

That said, though, there is plenty of other material in the 40k universe alone that is woefully under appreciated in (video) games, ignored in favour of the same old Space Marines vs Orks/Eldar/Chaos/tyranids theme time and time again. I’d love to see a massive epic space-faring rpg about an Inquisitor, for example, cruising the collonies looking for trouble Commander Shepard style. Or if you’re going for straight tabletop to screen game adaptations, Necromunda would make a great change of pace… gang warfare in a filthy hive city, yes please, original x-com or original syndicate style. (come to think of it, they were pretty much the same, one turn based and one real time, and both excellent.)

3. revolting

Regarding the article itself, Exterminatus is excellent on PS3, I find it far more enjoyable than the regular team deathmatch/domination styles. I wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone with the game on xbox who found the boxed muliplayer somewhat lacking. It’s a bit of a shame that Exterminatus games don’t contribute to multiplayer challenge progression, but it’s a free update, to boot, so you can’t go wrong.

4. DarkElfa

Very true sir and no worries, I keep at least 2 humble pies at the ready at all times. I tend to eat a lot of them. ;)

I do remember my 40k days fondly though. Painting the figures used to be a favorite pastime.

5. viralshag

@1, Surely though, they have more of a right to use the term Space Marine as what’s that were actually called.

Technically, Aliens had Colonial Marines. :P

6. DarkElfa

Well sure Viral, but us old guys remember these things pretty well. The term “Space Marine” was being used to describe the guys in Aliens before 40k came into being.

Though I do believe that 40k made much better use of it than Aliens did. That could also just be my nostalgia talking. ;)

7. viralshag

No, they do make better use of it. I know because I’m currently storming through the Horus Heresy books, on book number four now. And I recently had a first time weekend project of painting some models. :p

I finished three of them and haven’t touched it since haha.

8. DarkElfa

Well, keep going, it’s well worth it. ;)

9. Crab of Thunder

@7 I always drop in on these heresy comments, so here I am again :P.

Did you like Galaxy in Flames? I loved that one so much, another one that stands out to me is The First Heretic, though that is quite a way in. It portrays the drop site massacre amazingly, Corax (Raven Guard primarch) is just so epic!

10. viralshag

@ Crab, Galaxy in Flames was fantastic. It was like a much better version of Star Wars: Episode III: you know they’re gonna lose and there’s nothing that will change it but you just wanted them to be victorious.

Only about 40 pages in to The Flight of the Eisenstein and I’m already really liking Garro. From this and what little we saw of him in Galaxy. I’m really looking forward to reading Fulgrim next, I already have that and Descent of Angels sitting on my desk at home because I know as soon as I start getting into this I won’t put it down.

All the novels seem to build up slow but then when the major battles kick start time just fly by like the pages. They’re such good sci-fi books I can’t recommend them enough.

Edit: And also, I think I will always find it hard to play Chaos in anything from now on. :P

11. triggerhappy

@ Viral: Moving onto Galaxy in flames tonight, got 20 odd pages of False Gods left. Averaging out at 1 book a month just now due to a crazy work & personal life but thats all about to change. Looking forward to the Dark Angels ones but right now all I can think about is that im concerned for Loken’s well being… and I think I know who Abbaddon becomes… I think :P

Exciting stuff man :D

12. Crab of Thunder

Awesome, don’t read this trigger…

*SPOILER*

The desperate stand on Istvaan is captivating at the end, and I felt so bad for Saul, murdering his own squad and all. I will forever hate Lucien. Yeah Garro is epic too, pretty much the sole survivor for the loyalists.

*SPOILER OVER*

As for the chaos hate, wait until you get to some of the novels focussing on the traitor chapters, you can see the misguided logic and reason behind their turn and it evokes sympathy sometimes, they aren’t just “MURDER EVERYTHING!” .

13. viralshag

@ trigger, All three of the first trilogy are awesome but Galaxy is probably the best. It’s a close run thing but for me it went Galaxy, False Gods and then Rising. But there is barely any more favour in one than the other. All three are awesome.

Considering most of them are written by the same guys I’m confident I will like all of them. I think I’m averaging about a book every 2-3 weeks at the moment. Deciding to read or game in my free home time is one of the hardest choices to make in my total free time haha.

14. viralshag

@ Crab, It’s funny you say that. It’s quite clever how they put it down on paper. You know Chaos is evil, and I think it was in False Gods when Horus’ spirit is taken to that other world and Erebus is trying to convince him to help the chaos gods and at the time I even thought “when they put it like that, it’s an entirely believable story.”

I think there is a great game to be made based on the universe before it all goes to hell. Some of my friends that have an interest in 40k are put off a bit because they say it just sounds too depressing and war focused, which it is, but reading the books you see there is so much behind it and that it wasn’t always like that.

15. triggerhappy

@ Viral LOL same, last night I was like: controller or book, controller or book, Aagghhhhhh book it is :D

For me sitting down with a book has never been in the same league as playing a game but thats all changing now :P and once my house paiting is done I’ll have more time for army painting, i’d like to be proper back into 40K by december, I met a lot of good guys the last time did I it so hopefully this time will be the same.

16. Crab of Thunder

Erebus is a nasty piece of work, I think it’s him who instigated the fall to chaos in the first place. Horus is almost a pawn to several people.

40k is very grim, but the epic scale of the heresy is just irresistible. The actual year 40k books can be more light-hearted, such as Dan Abnetts Guants ghost series (Another fantastic series imo). The heresy is just how 40k came to be.

All though be warned, reading the heresy and a shit load of the other books will drain your money! :P Gaunts ghosts is 12 books long and counting.

17. viralshag

@ Trigger, I normally go through phases of reading nothing at all, to reading through an entire bookshelf in a matter of months. I use to get all my reading done on the bus to work but now I cycle everyday so I only get the occasional lunch break to read and any other time it ends up being a compromise of time!

There just isn’t enough time in the days or days in the week.