Ninja Theory’s Devil May Cry is set in an alternate universe

Tuesday, 1st November 2011 23:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The controversial redesign of Devil May Cry’s protagonist and backstory may not be canonical.

An article in Dengeki PlayStation, as reported by Siliconera, claims Ninja Theory suggested that the events of its game take place in an alternate universe.

If the reboot is set in a parallel world, then the Dante of the first four Devil may Cry games continues to exist in the canonical universe of the series, as well as in crossovers like Marvel vs Capcom 3, and may return elsewhere.

Ninja Theory’s Dante is a young, dark-haired asylum escapee with demonic and angelic powers courtesy of his mixed supernatural parentage. Since reveal, the design has been subject to vocal opposition from some fans.

DmC: Devil May Cry is expected on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

1. Kabby

Someone is scared this is going to bomb, huh?

2. triggerhappy

Ridiculous. Back tracking if ever i’ve seen it.

3. Ireland Michael

There is absolutely no back-tracking involved. They never said this was canonical to the existing games.

4. OrbitMonkey

@Michael, I thought they did? Wasn’t this gonna be the story of young Dante?

5. triggerhappy

@ Michael: OK so we’ll just assume the next Resident Evil is non canonical too. C’mon man.

6. Ireland Michael

@4 They’ve always stated it was a reboot. They’ve said its story is set before any of the previous games, but they’ve never outright said it was canon.

@5 I don’t see how that works

The Resident Evil games have all been set within the same universe, with the same series of characters and set around the same story. They’re all connected to each other directly.

This isn’t. And never claimed to be.

7. Erthazus

In my opinion, they made a mistake from the start for not telling everybody “that” before the TGS trailer, so in the end fans like me went apeshit.

Ninja Theory is a bit scared here, thats for sure.

I think i should give them a chance. I will try it, but for now, DMC remake is not my cup of tea. But who knows.

@6, Resident Evil:Raccoon City is the same thing… here.

8. OrbitMonkey

@Michael, Huh… Then why is everyone going apeshit over his hair? Its like raging over the differences between Ultimate and Amazing Spiderman o_O

9. triggerhappy

So a non-canon reboot… Ok.

10. Ireland Michael

@8 Because it’s the internet and that’s what people on the internet usually like to do?

Like the argument I made in the Rocksmith news story earlier today said…

Gamers scream about a lack of innovation or new things all the time, yet as soon as their favourite nostalgic franchise tries to change any element (see the new Hitman for a perfect example) in even the slightest fashion, they kick and scream like little children, begging for an identikit rehash of the very same game they played a decade ago.

11. triggerhappy

@ Michael: You didn’t just quote yourself :P

12. OrbitMonkey

@10, Yeah i gotta remember that peeps on the net are slightly more hysterical than the peeps on the street…

Lol, saying that, when Amazing Spiderman got that whole “bitten by a spider god and a new suit by Iron Man” storyline, i stopped reading….

IT WASN’T MY SPIDERMAN ANYMORE” ;)

13. Ireland Michael

@11 Yes I did. Because my quotes are just that fucking awesome.

@12 Good thing you didn’t keep reading then.

They essentially rebooted the entire Spider-Man canon shortly after, so that Mary Jane and Peter Parker’s wedding never took place, and he was once again an awkward, clumsy teenager.

That was when *I* stopped reading.

14. OrbitMonkey

@13, WHAAAAAA????? *Deep breath* Oh well, guess its their baby. Grant Ennis “The Boys” is a lot fucking better. Highly recommended… Though a little brutal and darkly comic.

15. YoungZer0

@13: Too bad, that’s when Spider-Man began being interesting again, talking about current teenager stuff.

Anyway, i don’t care what it is, just give me a fucking release date and MORE gameplay videos, with some cutscenes, maybe?

16. Ireland Michael

@15 Current teenager stuff? Peter turned into an asshole, a mean jerk who did things completely out of character, and every single girl that became interested in him was a vacuous slut…

Oh wait, I guess that is relevant and modern to teenagers after all…

17. YoungZer0

@16: Come on, Ireland, you sound like an old fart. Bet them old folks said the same thing about your generation when you were a teenager.

They didn’t change the character of Parker, but made him more current, you know, talking about Twitter and having Aunt May on Facebook, talking how he’s as hard as Chuck Norris beard. etc.

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I used to say that sort of thing about my own generation, never mind the current one.

All that stuff is fine, the stuff you listed, but they didn’t need to regress 20 years of stories, ruin one of the defining moments of his character, and de-age him in the process. And they *did* turn him into a jerk.

Peter used to be the “nice kid”. Now he does things that are just flat out jerkish and mean. He completely lost all his charm after the events of Brand New Day. Mind you, the character was going to shit for quite some time before that anyway.

P.S. I am an old fart.

19. Gigabomber

They’ve just confirmed re-release of the first 3 DMC’s in HD on one disc, so I barely care about this anymore.

20. YoungZer0

@18: But he needed to be. Dunno about you, but when i started reading Spider-Man, he wasn’t married, he was young, had the same problems i had (Without the Superhero stuff).

You could relate to him. But you can’t if you’re a teenager and he’s a married teacher or whatever he was before he got rebooted. There are more teenagers that read comics and less married men.

Anyway, if we’re talking about comic, i’d recommend “Scalped” and “The Winter Men”.

Two of the best comics ever released.

21. Ireland Michael

@20 When I was a teenager, he was already married to Mary Jane, I was able to appreciate, connect with and understand the character just fine, because even though he was older than me, there was an admirable person there with strong morals that I could appreciate and look up to.

I think it’s a misinterpretation that young people can’t relate to adult characters. If anything else, I think it’s the exact opposite. A strong adult role model is exactly what kids like. All kids want to grow up, and it gives them a good image for them to develop into as an adult.

Thanks for the comic suggestions. I’ll check them out.

And now we’re well off topic. But whatever. =P

22. neon6

I can’t believe the amount of anime they host on that site. It’s not human.