Battlefield 3 is biggest EA launch, sells 5 million

Monday, 31st October 2011 19:52 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Based on internal estimates, Battlefield 3 has sold more than 5 million units in its first week of release, making it the fastest selling game in EA’s history.

EA’s also released some interesting data to go with this news: so far, Battlefield 3 gamers executed 73 million savior kills, 48 million revives, and destroyed 67 million vehicles.

“From Tokyo to Los Angeles, Sydney to London, millions of fans have been playing all weekend long — we are overwhelmed by the global response to Battlefield 3,” said Patrick Soderlund, EVP of the EA.

“It is extremely gratifying to deliver an entertainment experience that delights our fans, and to have the opportunity to introduce new people to the franchise. Already, we are seeing unprecedented play times and online activity which is very rewarding. This launch solidifies Battlefield as a leading entertainment brand,” he said.

EA also revealed that the Battlefield franchise has now sold over 50 million units life-to-date, with the first release being in 2002 – Battlefield 1942.

The DICE-developed shooter released on October 25 in US, and October 28 in the UK. It’sĀ debutedĀ at the number one spot in this week’s UK charts.

1. Gama_888

All the 3 highlighted stories are now about battlefield 3 :)

Great Stuff battlefield, ill be picking mine up next week hopefully

2. Debabrata Nath

I wouldn’t be surprised if it crosses well over the 8 million mark by year end, which EA is aiming for.

3. Shokaku

Battlefield 3 will be the best-selling EA game only for 49 days 8 hours and 43 minutes from now.

4. Erthazus

I just hope that EA won’t turn DICE after this to another Activision peasent aka Call Of Booty “City Interactive” kind of studio. I hope EA will leave them to innovate with the technology in the future again.

this time they surpassed a lot of expectations with great new engine that is based on the first one, great sound effects and better destruction tech.

and don’t forget for MIRRORS EDGE 2, peaches. :D I still want that one, you know? good shooters are always good. But some variety i want too.

Aso, fix these damn bugs and fuck ORIGIN.

5. YoungZer0

Too sad i can’t play it.

First the problems with the registration, now i the lagging. I had not even one problem with the pirated version.

It never pays to pay, i guess.

6. Erthazus

I had problems first day with Origin only. I could not install it. LOL.
    I hate it so much. My mind is blown away by how bad it is, although to it’s credit, it’s much more intuitive than STEAM and less laggy.

7. YoungZer0

@6: Yeah, i was equally blown away by how bad it is.

It’s weird. The game is not lagging in the sense that the FPS drops, the controls are lagging. I thought it was the multiplayer, until i played the singleplayer.

Having played the pirated version of the singleplayer, i see a huge difference. Whatever it is that’s causing this, i hope they fix it, otherwise the game is unplayable.

8. Yoshi

‘Based on internal estimates’ *yawn* Give us facts and figures or stfu :)

9. Anders

@6: Sounds like when players were forced to install Steam in order to install Half-Life 2 in 2004.

@8: Companies can tell definitive shipped figures, but sales figures are always estimates.

10. YoungZer0

@9: The difference is: Steam was the first one to use it. If you want to compete, you’ve to do better, not the same.

11. OrbitMonkey

Well I’m know very interested in what they will do with MoH. It’s MP was seriously undercooked, but with the BF3 engine & some tighter maps they could make something very tasty :)

12. Patrick Garratt

I just said this on Twitter, but I reckon MW3′s been robbed of the “biggest launch ever” badge. Which’ll make Black Ops the largest ever. Not long to wait and see, anyway.

13. Erthazus

@11, it’s not just MP. Singleplayer was also undercooked, although that direction they went is a really good idea. Slower, somewhere closer to reality and not some Michael Bay “ESPLOSIONS”.

Maybe, just maybe this time around it will be better.

14. DSB

I don’t think it’s gonna affect this years CoD launch, it’s too late in the game. But I think it’s going to provide some interesting numbers for BF3, especially after launch, and it’s definitely changed everything going into next year. Even more so for the next Battlefield launch.

15. minxamo

inb4 MW3 sells 20 million

16. DarkElfa

I’ve had a few disconnections, crashes and server issues, but no more than at the start of any other major release in the last 5 years. This is just the way it is now. The publishers keep pressuring the developers to release before they’re ready and so you wind up with launch day patches and server issues.

One more month and this would have been a much tighter launch but EA wanted this out before MW3 in order to shock and awe the FPS gaming audience.

Instead, the bugs and general instability has actually shocked and awed us all in a very different way.

One can hope that in the near future, large publishers like EA and Activision will stop rushing devs and allow them to do it right.

17. Johnny Cullen

Whatever it’ll beat MW3 remains to be seen – although I reckon it won’t – but the fact is with BF3, the series as a whole has seen big, big growth thanks to EA’s big marketing offensive. I mentioned this on Twitter, but you only need to compare the first month sales of BFBC2 to BF3. BC2 sold 2.6 million in its first three weeks, while BF3 had 5 million units in its first six days.

I think EA’s aim, at least for this and maybe next year, isn’t to beat CoD, but to gain some massive market share and continue eating at that market share with BF or Medal of Honor (although its main priority will be with BF) until it has a majority of it. Right now, EA couldn’t have asked for the much perfect start.

18. DSB

I think the critical difference is the fact that DICE are massively improving, where CoD is relying on people wanting the same old thing Johnny.

As long as DICE can keep getting better, it stands to reason that CoD would be in trouble sooner or later for staying in the exact same spot. I didn’t see BF3 coming, after having played BC2 though. I’m gobsmacked.

19. darksied

I’m happy for DICE and EA on this one. Regardless of whether people hate EA or whatever, I think it’s cool that they finally released a game continuing the BF tradition.

Like others have said, I’ve had a few server issues, but that’s to be expected. But it’s NOTHING like the launch of Black Ops on ps3, which was f’in pathetic. I couldn’t get into most games for weeks on that (so it goes without saying I won’t be trying many CoD games in the future). So I’m happy with BF3 so far. I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed in most games, TBH, but that’s because this is my first BF game, besides Bad Company 2.

20. Machinetti

i feel happy when i know that these are the guys that created Battlefield that makes it unlike what Activisions Ceo Robert Kotick did with the Original developers at the old Infinity Ward that was fired because sued that bignosed midget!

21. JGaLaXY815

Yea some people complain about the glitches and server issues on BF3, but i also had blops for the ps3 and it was the worse launch id seen for a fps…i haven’t had any issues with bf3 on my ps3, it will be interesting to see what mw3 will do…i think im done with cod, bf3 you have the freedom to do WHATEVER you want, one rush map is 3 cod maps combined…okay, hope everyone has fun running and gunning 11/07/11 , im going off to parachute out of a helicopter while my team controls the ground with tanks…