Study – 81% of kids aged five to eight have gamed

Sunday, 30th October 2011 22:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

According to research funded by Common Sense Media, gaming is becoming increasingly mainstream among young children.

In a survey of over 1,300 parenting figures in the US, 51% of children aged between birth and eight were found to have played video games, and over the age of five this percentage rose sharply to 81%.

Of those between five and eight who gamed regularly, 17% played every day, while 36% played once a week.

67% of all children represented by the study had a console in their homes, but even when you vut out family-shared devices, console ownership among kids is significant; 24% of children own a gaming handheld and 29% have an “educational” gaming device.

29% of surveyed families said their children use the PC several times a week, and 52% reported letting their children play with a mobile gaming device lik a smartphone or tablet.

Thanks, Joystiq.

[image]

1. Gekidami

Kids at that age should be working down the coal mines, not playing games!

2. Edo

Working down the coal mines is like sooo yesterday.

3. DSB

I am Jacks complete lack of surprise. My nephew was playing Plants vs Zombies at 4, and I dont know a single kid that doesnt go bonkers for Angry Birds.

@1 I tell my girlfriend the exact same thing. Except its saltmines, not coal.

4. kupocake

19% of five to eight year olds are uncultured swine? We must mend our society (oh wait, YOUR society) at the roots. Air drop some old DS stock into these homes!

5. Yoshi

90% of children five to eight year olds have watched television O.M.G they’ll grow up to be monsters!

6. The_Deleted

Hell, my five year old is better at some games than me.