Samsung bests Apple in Q3 as global smartphone manufacturer

Friday, 28th October 2011 15:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Samsung has overtaken Apple as the global top smartphone manufacturer. According to data complied by research firm Strategy Analytics published by Bloomberg, shipments from Samsung were up 44% for the July-September period, with a total of 27.8 million smartphones shipped. Sales for Samsung’s telecommunications division doubled year-on-year to $2.2 billion, or 60% of it’s total revenue. In comparison, iPhone sales fell by 16% to 17.1 million units during the quarter, which provided Samsung with a 23.8% share of the market. Thanks, GI.biz.

1. Tech-N9ne

Are you guys still a gaming website? What does all this kinda post have to do with gaming.

2. Razor

Oh, have you not heard?

Smartphones are killing gaming, therefore it’s important to write about them.

3. triggerhappy

I love my Galaxy S II :D

4. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Because people “game” on them, maybe? :p

5. DarkElfa

I translated this story as “Okay Apple, Steve’s dead, back in your hole.”

6. monty12345

I think its prob just because samsung phones are cheap as feck compared to a new iphone or something.. i got my samsung europa for like €80! mind you , it’s not great..

7. Christopher Jack

@6, But their flagship Galaxy S range are Samsung’s biggest sellers.

8. G1GAHURTZ

LOL @ #5!

9. Erthazus

Well of course if you sell Galaxy Mini and Galaxy S as a cheaper device.
    Galaxy Mini is crap while Galaxy S is not that bad for it’s price and it works really well.

Galaxy SII is just a modification with a little bit better features. I don’t like it very much because it costs a lot of money for no reason at all.

10. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t like it very much because it costs a lot of money for no reason at all.

What, you mean…

Like an iPhone?

11. Christopher Jack

Also the Samsung Nexus S is pretty good, $300 outright RRP in Aus, compared to the iPhone 3GS’ $400 while being more comparable to the iPhone 4.

12. Erthazus

@10, iPhone have at least App store that is full of some serious apps while Android lacks of decent app store.

So in my opinion Galaxy S is a sweet spot for it’s price.

13. pukem0n

oh you people who still think iOS has the better app store. they are both the fucking same.

14. Christopher Jack

@12, The hardware is incredibly similar for a significantly reduced price to the iPhone variants. (Although it’s clear that the 4S has a more powerful GPU than the GSII but the GSII has the faster CPU).

I also disagree about your app store comment. While it’s true that Android in it’s current form is lacking some of the AAA content you’d find on the iPhone like Infinity Blade, doesn’t mean that it doesn’t have any & support only continues to grow but it could be doing much better. Still, with Google being much more lenient, there’s also a much more varied selection of apps to choose from, not to mention all the free content that costs money on the iOS variant, like Angry Birds.

15. JackTheLittle

^at least both are pieces of crap from quality point & maybe even price! :P

16. Maximum Payne

So Erthazus is using some HTC a ? :) Some Sensation i bet :D
    I find HTC Desire S to be sweet spot.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

Dunno bout you guys to me Samsung is doing real good offering highend communication technology at a more affordable price point. It’s not Samsung’s fault that Android has no descent app store, which will get better in near future. Don’t blame Samsung for Google’s short comings and I’m a huge google fan but in this area they suck and android needs a lot of work to become something like iOS.

18. Gurdil

@Erthazus So you’re a troll on mobile topics now? Android doesn’t have a decent “app store”? Yeah, right, Android Market is so lame… -_-’ And Galaxy S2 is just a little bit better than Galaxy S?!? Now I know you’re joking! Or you don’t know what you’re talking about… It’s OK if you prefer iPhones, but cut the crap, you’re just talking nonsense here.

19. Erthazus

@16, I use crappy old Nokia for a phone calls and SMSing and thats it.
    But currently i’m thinking about getting some smartphone because i need multitasking, but now i don’t know what to get to be honest.
    I’m going to wait for the next Samsung Lineup of phones and will see if it’s better than the iPhone 4S.

also, i want to play Infinity blade II Ohh, yeah. I love Epic Games :d

@Gurdil, so i’m a troll or i’m talking a nonsence?! Decide already.
    Android marketplace is weaker than the iPhone’s App Store. It’s a FACT.
    Galaxy S2 is much more powerfull and have much better CPU, GPU, memory and some functions than Galaxy S, but for that outrageous price S2 is not worth money at all in it’s current stage.

@14, it’s not just about AAA stuff, there are a lot of stuff in which Anrdoid market place lacks compared to App Store.

20. Gurdil

@Erthazus now that’s your opinion and it’s perfectly valid (even if I don’t share it). What I was seeing as trolling was your denying of the hardware difference between S and S2 as well as the bit about Android not having an “app store”. You can think the App Store is better than the Android Market, I’ve got no problem with that. You can also think that S2 isn’t worth its price. I obviously disagree (well kind of… I DO think it’s overpriced but I think it’s better than the iPhone so… But then again that’s just my opinion)
    And about the difference between trolling and talking nonsense, maybe I missed something but I don’t see it. I mean most trolls ARE talking nonsense. Just go on fanboy sites and see what trolls are saying, most of the time it IS nonsense. Like “Windows always does BSoD” or “Mac OS X can’t run any applications”, that’s utter BS and forums are full of it.

21. Christopher Jack

@19, How else does it lack? It offers a much more diverse selection of applications such as live wallpapers, widgets & other crap Apple won’t allow, probably exceeded the quantity of apps that Apple’s store has, although I fully acknowledge that it continues to lack quality apps.

22. Gurdil

@21 Well I don’t really agree with you on the quality apps thing. Sure quality apps represent a small percentage of the whole offer but their number is quite important nevertheless. And I don’t see iPhone apps as better overall. Both stores are full of useless crap, but both contain interesting and well-crafted apps too. The main difference is on the stores themselves. And while I’m talking about that, I did like the old Android Market better. This WP7 look-a-like store is quite disturbing to me.