Mass Effect 3: “Multiplayer is very optional,” says BioWare

Friday, 28th October 2011 13:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

In a video interview with CVG, BioWare Edmonton studio GM Aaryn Flynn has sought to allay fears that there’s any kind of compulsory element to Mass Effect 3′s multiplayer component.

He said: “There was a statement made that the better you do in multiplayer, the better you are at single-player – and I don’t think that’s right.

“The approach we’re taking is that multiplayer is very optional for all of our fans and players. It’s a way to achieve certain things in a different way then you could if you did just the single-player campaign.”

His remarks apparently contrast to those made in a previous media release, in which the studio categorically said that success in multiplayer will bring a better single-player ending.

Who knows. Watch it below, then have a read of Stace’s recent go with ME3 co-op. The RPG releases on March 6 next year.

1. Kabby

Big up the new feature. Get some backlash from nerds. Play down the new feature.

2. DX2Texas

I cant wait to try Multiplayer I love mass Effect

3. Thalius

Lets see how optinal it is when the trophy/achievements list comes out…

4. Gurdil

@3 Cause it’s mandatory for you to get all achievements/trophies? Of course there will be multiplayer achievements/trophies but that doesn’t mean this part of the game is not optional…

5. OrbitMonkey

Although I like the ideas behind the multiplayer; I don’t think It should have any bearing on the single player game… kinda takes the fun outta things.

6. hitnrun

Multiplayer changes the game, even if you don’t use it. That’s just reality. You can’t optimally design a game world for singular and plural use. Everything changes – balance, geometry, space, story.

Either the single player experience will be lacking something, as it is with most partner-games, or the multiplayer will feel poorly supported and tacked on.

7. Mineral4r7s

Yeah I would like to play Mass Effect 3. I liked the previous games, not bad. But EA just doesn’t want my money. I can’t think of any other reason why they force Origin upon one. They just don’t want my money.