Blizzard has released a fact sheet for StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm, which continues the story from Wings of Liberty with a campaign that focuses on Kerrigan, the former Queen of Blades.
According to the fact sheet, swarms with unique, campaign-only units and abilities will be included in the expansion, and this “evolution will happen in an organic manner befitting of the expansion’s zerg theme.”
Kerrigan will also play a major role in each of the battles, and over the course of the campaign, she’ll grow in strength and earn new abilities. Players will choose which of her powers to enhance and use from mission to mission.
New multiplayer units and maps will be included, and the expansion will include new features and upgrades to Battlenet.
Some of the features listed by Blizzard below were detailed in more depth during BlizzCon, and you can look over highlights from the panels here.
- Continues the epic story of StarCraft II from where Wings of Liberty left off.
- Approximately 20 new campaign missions.
- New campaign gameplay mechanics, allowing players to evolve new abilities and units for their zerg army.
- Go into battle with Kerrigan as she tries to restore her strength and regain control of the Swarm.
- New multiplayer units and maps, expanding strategic choice and gameplay depth for each race.
- Expanded features and functionality for Battle.net to improve custom-game search, and new tools for map authors to create even more epic custom games.
- New pre-rendered and in-game cinematics bring the story of Heart of the Swarm to life.
A release date for the expansion is to be announced, but it’s expected sometime next year.