Quick Quotes – Tempers fraying at DICE

Thursday, 27th October 2011 03:53 GMT By Brenna Hillier

“You’re on crack, there’s been no controls changes since the beta.”

DICE gameplay designer Alan Kertz responds to an unhappy Battlefield 3 gamer’s complaints of post-beta control switcheroo. The developer’s staff have been under siege through social media since the game’s staggered global launch kicked off.

Thanks, Carl!

1. G1GAHURTZ

Oh dear…

What a mess.

2. Ireland Michael

@1 Or as the reality is, the media making mountains out of molehills.

As usual.

This is the most needlessly overblown and sensationalist title on here in a long time. You’re smarter than this, Brenna.

3. muffinmn100

What the fuck? Why the hell is this news? Gives journalists a bad name. “Tempers fraying at dice” How does saying that the controls haven’t changed imply that shit is going to go down at DICE.

4. G1GAHURTZ

Telling one of your consumers that they’re some sort of crack addict is a no-no.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 Seriously, what regressive, politically correct backwards hick town did you grow up in?

The guy he responded to was a total idiot anyway.

6. KAP

I dont usually but I have to agre with you on this mate, most gamers nowadays a complete dicks and think they know it all even so this is refreshing for DICE to say it how it is.

It just makes gamers think twice on what they comment I guess, and I think that’ll be a good thing moving forward.

I mean having a fight with someone who created the game is what crackheads do right? right?!

7. The_Deleted

This is not news…. :(

8. Freek

It’s a Twitter faux pas, sure, but if you want more honest commentary from developers, a more naturual dialogue then you are going to get some bad stuff aswell.
    You want them to act casual sometimes they’ll tell you shit you don’t want to hear, almost as if they were human….

9. SplatteredHouse

I have to agree with #7, I’m not sure I see the story here. It’s an off-hand comment intended to show disinterest in investigating the complaint. It’s also Kertz’ own account, anyway, not that of DICE. I think in that case, care should be taken before barreling in like the questioner did, and have respect for the house rules before posting in that way.
    It’s good that staff are more open than in the past to (like #8 said) a more natural dialogue, but that will sometimes be shown to work both ways.

10. DarkElfa

@ everyone, Because, like it or not, he’s a representative of his company and not some ass on a forum. He doesn’t get the luxury of being a dick to the customer base.

Regardless of how you all think he should respond, he WILL get at least reprimanded for that sort of public outburst. Neither EA or Dice are in any position at the moment to need further bad public opinion.

11. Droid

Bah … I still wish it was out in my country. Want to judge it for myself. :( From all the youtube videos its making me really want to play.

12. GrimRita

I love when developers are ‘outspoken’ – good for them! But in other news, Mario and Wario have become ‘friends’

13. endgame

Brenna u might as well delete this. It’s of poor taste. Alan Kertz is an awesome guy! If he said that he did it for good reason.

14. viralshag

What has changed since beta? I haven’t noticed any change in controls? If anything it’s a little better than the beta.

15. OrbitMonkey

The lesson here is that after crunch time, publishers should take the devs away someplace quiet & remove all communicative devices… For a wk or two at least :)

16. manamana

Not VG24/7 worthy. Not good.

17. mojo

i dont exactly see what the point of this news is.

someone got told that hes a moron.
    MASS PANIC!

18. DSB

Social media or anti-social media?

19. deathgaze

@18: I see what you did there.

20. tmac2011

wow i skipped battlefield 3 because i already have alot of games coming out and i got batman, going to get mw3,skyrim, assassins creed. Battlefield it’s just not for me, i played the beta. the fans i think can be big cry babies, i’m just saying come on it’s an fps! what do you expect it to be the holy grail of gaming? stop fighting over which game is better on any console and JUST PLAY!

21. OwnedWhenStoned

People have obviously forgotten that it’s a tradition for EA and DICE to have a bug ridden nightmare at launch. BF2 and 2142 were the same if I recall. Especially BF2. And then after they patched it they broke it again.

But it still turned into one of the best multiplayer games I’ve ever played, so I’ll be patient.

22. xino

lol…I agree with the DICE spokes man.

those fans are annoying!

23. raoullduke1984

I would have told that kid to stop talking muck or I’d break his knees. What would the headline have been then?

24. Len

Who really cares, it plays magnificently. I just can’t get enough of it. Truly amazing, overwhelming piece of software. I will play this for years to come… :)