Jaffe values gameplay over cinematic experiences

Wednesday, 26th October 2011 01:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

God of War creator David Jaffe has weighed in on the Uncharted 3 debate, saying he has learned to put gameplay ahead of cinematic experience.

“A lot of people ask me if I’d ever make another God of War and I always say the same thing: if it were God of War meets something like Zelda (formula wise), then yes. But if it were God of War using the current formula, I would not,” Jaffe wrote on his blog, responding to the controversy surrounding Eurogamer’s Uncharted 3 review, which praised the game but criticised its adherence to a trend toward cinematic experiences.

“For me – and this is just me personally – directing God of War made me realize that as a game designer and certainly as game director I want our games to serve the gods of gameplay first and foremost.

“My and the team’s desire to tell a story/make a movie may or may not get to be fulfilled, but if we do tell a story, it will never come at the expense of the gameplay – the thing that makes our medium matter and special. Games can have story (and many should, such as God of War) and most games – even pure play games – should have strong world and IP.

“But working on God of War made it clear that if we have to cut a set piece or bit of spectacle because of our desire to put play first, then so be it.”

Jaffe commented that despite the hype for cinematic games, its the “gamey” ones that sell best.

“Look at Guitar Hero, Modern Warfare 3, Angry Birds, Farmville, Mario, Madden, Wii sports, and on and on and on. Hell, even GTA sells to most folks because they just like to fuck around in the world (the game part),” he said.

“Look at the top of the charts: the game stuff sells buckets when it’s themed right and executed well. The experience stuff sells well too but not near as much as the gamey stuff and the experience stuff costs a hell of a lot more to make in most cases.”

Throughout the post Jaffe made it clear he was speaking in general terms, expressed his admiration for what he’d seen of Uncharted 3 so far, and made no judgements of his own on the accuracy of Eurogamer’s criticisms.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Ireland Michael

Not based on God of War, you certainly don’t.

2. DrDamn

/cuts and pastes comments from any other thread where Jaffe dared to mention the word gameplay like he might know anything at all about it … crazy fool

3. Takeshi

Lol, the only reason I bothered to play the early God of War games was because I wanted to play the third one which in my opinion was the strongest. It honestly felt a lot like filler most of the time. God of War III was a lot better due to better graphics and more cinematic sequences. There was just a lot more of the stuff that I liked.

4. DaMan

Number 1 is a heathen. Where’s our mighty Gekidami with their Jaffe’s Bayonetta quote, saved somewhere in a Word document and the 9.4 Metacritic ratio, readily bookmarked for times like this?

Oh, and Gta doesn’t sell because of gameplay, at least not the fourth one.

5. Gekidami

^ I think all of the crying you’ve been doing over Apple has snapped your mind. You need a vacation.

6. Erthazus

Halo and Apple fanboy says something about the gameplay?

Give me a break son.

7. DaMan

#5 , At least I don’t practice hypocrisy.

Erthazus, I have more to say than socially isolated 21 year old bolsheviks living on the internet, and that’s all that should matter to you. Ironically, being a fanboy of Halo would certainly make me more qualified to talk about gameplay.. You’re such an idiot, even for a sin polka.

8. Yoshi

“Jaffe values quick time events over cinematic experiences” FIXED ;)

9. DaMan

^Exactly.

10. Erthazus

@7 Everytime rednecks like you trying to say something it always makes people laugh out loud. Also, bolsheviks does not exist anymore retard, since Polish–Soviet War and WWII. You already showed your pathetic knowledge and hipocrisy here.

You should go and play with your pink gay space marine with your stupid online friends. They are awaiting you on Xbox live. :P

11. DaMan

Erthazus, Thank you for proving my point.

Unfortunately, bolsheviks do exist. They just happen to call themselves democrats now. Not to mention KPRF is the second largest party in Russia. You’re another excellent example, straight from Animal Farm.

Not only you’re not a bright one, but incredibly shallow at that.

12. Charlie Sheen

@10 worst insult ive ever heard.

13. Yoshi

*YAWN* Hey people, ever heard of the saying. Stay on topic?

14. Gekidami

Sure you do. You rattle on, negatively about the PS3 whenever possible, using childish terms like “PoS3″, then later moan about platform trolling to Pat. You’re one of the biggest hypocrites on this site.

In fact sheer fanboy rage has caused you to totally derail this article, and obsess over me. Like i said, you need a vacation.

15. Christopher Jack

I mostly agree with him, there’s nothing wrong with linear movie-like experiences like Uncharted & L.A. Noire, they’re some of the best games around, but they simply don’t make the big bucks despite their relatively high sales when compared to their development budget, don’t have as much lasting appeal & aren’t exactly easy to jump into when compared to the likes of simple FPS like CoD.

16. DaMan

#14, Taking things out of context they were originally put in doesn’t help you either, or selectively posting links at that.

I don’t really negatively comment, if I did, then I would follow your sad example and probably say how Uncharted 3 metacritic ratio is outrageously unfair. But alas, I hardly said anything about Sony in the recent months. At least not in the context or circumstances being brought up here.

Instead, all I recall from my recent Sony related posts is how I stated that 3ds looks visually more appealing to me, and little Gekidami instantly appearing. As I said, perhaps you should revaluate own perception.

Besides, there’s consistent, continuous platform trolling, and random snide remarks. More so circumstantial.

I call you a hypocrite because I’ve lost count how many times you ‘ve used Metacritic to validate something, yet instantly dismissed it the moment it doesn’t help to prove any of your points. Either you use it as a viable source or not.

I’m not obsessed with you, I made an observation.

17. viralshag

I thought Space Marine balanced the two quite well. I think there is room for both story and gameplay heavy games in the industry and I have a feeling we’re only around the corner from someone striking that balance just right.

18. Joe Musashi

Jaffe’s God of War was fantastic. There’s no more QTE in that game than, say, Bayonetta which I also adore. The latter often sees you finishing off a boss (and in-game combat) with pure button-mashing though.

I’d go as far to say that the story (or more specifically, Kratos’ backstory) was one of the strongest motivators of the first God of War. I can’t say the same for Bayonetta.

Still, Jaffe has as much right to express his opinion as anyone.

JM

19. Gekidami

Source me commenting on UC3′s metacritic score.

And pointing out an instance where i called you out on your platform trolling is a poor example.

20. DaMan

#19 I was saying how you recently commented on Arkham City, and if I were the same, I would surely make one or two remarks about Uncharted 3. Alas, there’s none.

Again, there’s the trolling and the random snide remarks, besides I ‘m hardly ever the origin. I just happen to troll back at times.

21. viralshag

I borrowed a friend’s PS2 to play GoW1 & 2 before the launch of 3. I have to say after the first game I was too burnt out to even finish 2 let alone get into 3. Boring repetitive gameplay imo, don’t think I will ever bother going back to GoW.

22. Christopher Jack

@20, You’re trolling via derailing this thread, Geki is almost as bad but in his defence, you started it all.

@21, Agreed, not a fan of repetitive gameplay unless it’s not the only point of the game, for instance I can handle RPGs having basic combat mechanics but there should be much, much, much more depth in a linear combat game.

23. Gadzooks!

I agree with Jaffe this one (and likely only) time. Gameplay is king, it is as simple as that.

Glossy but shallow, gameplay-lite, QTE-ridden dross is the reason I abandoned the PS3. I like to play. Movies are for watching.

24. DaMan

#22, Fine, although I’ve made an observation.

25. Christopher Jack

@23, Video games are interactive entertainment, there is nothing else that truly defines a video game. Although I also agree that game play is almost always king, then the story tends to be the next most important factor followed by visuals but they all work best when blended together with nice doses of each component, although not every game needs a good story or high visuals but good gameplay is what makes a good game, a good game.

26. daytripper

i think 8/10 is a great score amongst a pit of even bigger scores, i class myself as a big fan of the uncharted series and i will be buying this, i like to support developers who’s products appease to my taste.

as for all the moaning about certain reviews, this would not be as bad if the game was multiplatform, this is sonys biggest exclusive of 2011 – with that there is going to be people who will always scream and whinge if anything negative appears and will patronise and gloat as if the product was produced by themselves if unified praise is given. that says more about what type of person they are than to get annoyed about them. leave them be, like it or not, whatever platform, there will always be people of this kind, next generation and generations after that. it’s just the way it is.

I thought the Gears 3 8/10 reaction was bad, twitter especially, cringeworthy shit writtten, then i saw the likes of neogaf after eurogamers uncharted review and i was glad, being a member, of the reaction in a way as it gave a guideline as to who to avoid and who’s opinions you should flush down the fucking toilet.

27. triggerhappy

@ Viral “I have to say after the first game I was too burnt out to even finish 2 let alone get into 3. Boring repetitive gameplay imo, don’t think I will ever bother going back to GoW.”

EXACTLY my feelings towards GOW. Each to their own but im not into button mashing. I bought 1 & 2 for PS3 in preperation for 3 but sacked it after 2. I kind of liked the story though and was surprised how much I ended up liking Kratos as a character.

28. Ireland Michael

@7 Erthazus would shut up sooner if you simply ignored him. And sorry, but it takes two to tango. You’re both derailing the thread.

@25 Well said. *claps*

29. viralshag

Don’t get me wrong, I like the character and the setting, even the story at a push. But generally, it was always going to end in Kratos slicing, dicing, chopping or maiming someone. I don’t mind some mindless fun, like I mentioned earlier, Space Marine, that’s pretty repetitive, I guess. Maybe I’m not so harsh on that because of the setting.

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one that felt like this. A lot of people banged on about GoW being the next best thing since sliced bread. I would happily take the other GoW exclusive any day, tbh. ;)

30. triggerhappy

^ Yeh it’s always kind of been a bit bigged up. I was expecting something more epic from the titles that supposedly pushed the bar on PS2 twice. My friend from work loves them and told me I missed out not playing them when they first came out, I suppose theres the whole nostalgia thing to factor in.