HMV: GTA V will “inject huge excitement” into market

Wednesday, 26th October 2011 14:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

HMV games boss Tim Ellis has said yesterday’s announcement of Grand Theft Auto V will bring a new boost to the market. Ellis told MCV a new GTA launch is “a fantastic development that would inject huge excitement into the games market for fans, retailers and media alike,” adding Rockstar would “face the challenge of delivering another brilliant game that’s as good if not better than anything we’ve seen before.”

GTA V’s first trailer airs next Tuesday at 6pm BST.

1. Bluebird

Well, it shouldn’t be too hard to make something that’s better than IV. ^.^

/runs for cover

I don’t doubt the general media will enjoy it too. “Our children are corrupted by these newfangled video toy thing!”

2. Razor

But will it be on Wii U?

3. daytripper

@2 yes, so will max payne 3

4. Razor

Psst…Johnny….the trailer’s on Wednesday :P

5. Colin Gallacher

Don’t the clocks go back tho weekend? :D

Also…no shit HMV!

6. tmac2011

is #1 high or something? GTA is awesome, you don’t have to buy your kids the game if you don’t want them to play it. jeez and i hate poloticians who think that everyone doesn’t need to play a certain game! ii think it is on tuesday not sure it comes out on wenesday!!!

7. Bluebird

No, I just didn’t enjoy it much. ;)

8. Anders

Speaking of excitement in the games market, I’m starting to feel like it’s about time that we get a new generation of stationary consoles going. There are some great games coming out this christmas, but still, everything is starting to feel a bit… Stale.

9. Ireland Michael

@8 And a new generation of consoles would change this… how?

Boring ideas are boring, no matter how much horsepower is behind them.

10. Anders

#9 – New IP:s, crazy promises that the console manufacturers never will be able to keep, bashing of the competitors in press releases, sales comparisons, tech demos, etc, etc… From rumors, to announcement, to the first hands-on impressions to release.

Call me shallow, but I’ve always found console announcements and console releases the most exciting thing about the games industry. Even if they almost always amount to rehashes of the same old ideas.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Only one of the things you listed is a good thing. =P

12. Maximum Payne

@10 Agree at least graphic would be MUCH better.

13. Eregol

This has already injected me with apathy. Not excitement.

14. HeavyD-Love

I thought GTA4 was an astonishing accomplishment.

Hopefully GTA5 will build on the excellent tech seen in 4, and add more of the fun seen in San Andreas and Ballad of Gay Tony.

15. Kabby

Don’t let this GTA crap get you down bro. Think of Daytona and remember to fly sky high and go to the gay bar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14tqUAswZU

16. sg1974

I knew the review system was broken the moment I saw GTAIV’s metacritic score. But I digress.

Woohoo, more outrageous cultural and ethnic clichés, acting with more ham than a pig farm, and reviewers hailing the fifth coming. Can’t wait. NOT.

17. sb319

There are some right miserable gits commenting here tonight. Imagine failing to get excited about a new GTA! Imagine moaning about a game on the basis of no more information than a logo! Get over yourselves. GTA is a very big deal for a lot of people. If you aren’t one of them, shut up and move on.

18. sg1974

@17 I’m assuming you are utterly incapable of seeing the supreme ironies and hypocrisies contained in every sentence of that post.

19. Fin

Yeah, the same thing happened to me, only it was with Mario Galaxy.
    People liking a game I don’t like, giving it high scores?? That’s when I knew the review system was broken.

20. sb319

@18 And I’m assuming you don’t understand the difference between someone who likes the GTA games clicking on a thread about GTA, and someone who hates GTA games but insists on posting in every fucking GTA thread to tell everyone that they are wrong.

No, please do carry on telling me not to like GTA. I’m sure that’s a good use of your time and won’t at all get old over the next year or two.

21. sb319

@19 Mario Galaxy is fantastic. You’re the one who is broken if you think that just because you hold a view that differs from popular opinion, it must be everyone ELSE who is wrong

22. sg1974

@19 When reviews are based almost entirely on the good aspects of a product, with almost all its bad aspects arbitrarily excused or simply ignored (an honour not afforded to other products), then I decide that the review system is broken. I have no problem with games I don’t like being scored well, which is why I only complain about the Metacritic score of a single game (though I do believe some reviewers are inclined to add ten points for any game with GTA or CoD in the title).

23. sg1974

@20 Show me where I tell you not to like GTA and I’ll shut up. No? Then you can shut up.

Oh, and I know sarcasm is hard to represent in print, but Fin’s was reeking in it. You’ve every right to complain (as do I), but engage your brain first.

24. Edo

Never played a single game from this series but people seem to either think of it as a second coming or that it is seriously overrated.

25. Fin

Well I would consider the negative aspects of Galaxy to be archaic game design, a bad control mechanism, inferior graphics and generally unfun levels – I would consider the reviews I read on it not to have focussed on those points.
    Does it make the reviews broken? No. Does it mean I have a different opinion to the reviews? Yes.

26. sb319

@23 No, you

27. Maximum Payne

@24 Well GTA is like cod in FPS.
    Everybody loves if you like that genre.
    Also every Gta had big leep in gameplay mechanic almost like from AC1 to AC2 for example.

28. sb319

@25 Well I’m glad you’ve changed your mind about reviews being “broken”. Some people feel embarrassed about contradicting their own posts, but when trolling a moving target is always most effective. As for your views about Mario Galaxy…. bad control mechanism? Unfun levels? Are you sure you didn’t put the Wii disc in the drive upside down? Easily done.

29. Fin

Ur, I was being very sarcastic with post 19, like sg1974 pointed out.

30. The_Deleted

I don’t know why HMV are getting excited… they’ll be long gone by he time GTAV hits next year.

31. G1GAHURTZ

GTA peaked at 3.

32. Goffee

HMV really means “great, something else we can flog for 99p while ripping gamers off for trade-ins”… here’s hoping #30 is right!