Batman: Arkham City ships 4 million units in first week

Tuesday, 25th October 2011 13:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Warner’s announced this lunchtime that shipment numbers of Batman: Arkham City have hit 4.6 million units.

The numbers, which come merely seven days after its US launch and four days after its European and UK launch, are more than double of what Arkham Asylum achieved in the same period when it released in 2009.

“The team at Rocksteady put every ounce of effort into making the best Batman experience we possibly could, so we are overwhelmed by the incredible feedback from the community,” said Rocksteady director Sefton Hill.

The London-based studio “went above and beyond in delivering an incredible game,” according to WBIE head Martin Tremblay, “and the support of the entire team at Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment and DC Entertainment drove the excellent campaign a game like this deserves.”

Arkham City is currently sitting on a 96 for PS3 and 95 for 360 on MetaCrtic.

The PC version launches on November 18.

1. GenericShooterSoldier

How long do you think before this gets a price drop and of how much?

2. FillRoyy

#1 – Well, considering the numbers its shifting at the moment, probably some time next year :(

I’m personally waiting for an ultimate or game of the year edition, there was just too much dlc and pre-order content for me to take the plunge in the first week.

3. GenericShooterSoldier

Yeah FillRoyy im in the same position but dont want to have to wait ages for a goty edition. Im guessing these editions will come out around June next year onwards? Thats a long time and will be more expensive than normal edition.

4. Kabby

It’s only been out a few days, gets rave reviews yet you’re whining about price drops and ‘goty’ editions. If you want to play it just buy it.

5. GenericShooterSoldier

Kabby dont get me wrong i agree its an amazing game but not one that at the moment im willing to spend £40 on when inevitably it will soon be less. Just look at Deus Ex Human Revolution, that got great reviews and sold well, yet you can pick it up only a couple of months after release for £15 pounds.

6. OrbitMonkey

Who said that single-player is dead? Good job RockSteady :D

7. The_Red

Hell yes. Go Rocksteady. Hopefully with sales of this and MK9, Warner avoids the path Disney chose (Destroying great games like Split-Second 2 and that Pirates title and then going full retarted / casual).

8. merseymal

Patiently waiting for the PC version. Though it comes out a week after Skyrim. Paid just over £20 for B:AC thanks to a combination of pre-order price reduction and a 20% off voucher

9. Gekidami

I havent beaten it yet, but as of now the only word i can use to qualify the games is ‘overrated’. Sorry but it just isnt blowing me out of my seat.

10. Phoenixblight

I enjoyed it for it was. I wouldn’t call it overrated because I got exactly what I expected, an open world playing as Batman. THats exactly what I wanted out of the game my only gripe about the game is the story is meh and just used villains as filler with no depth unlike Arkham Asylum.

This is just a perfect example of what happens when developers go Open world, the story becomes this huge fill in the holes to rack up the hours of gameplay.

11. Gekidami

I’m enjoying it for what is is too. But what it isnt is a game worth a 96 metascore.

12. Phoenixblight

I couldn’t agree more. I wonder what most metascores would be if people rated when the game was initially bought and then after completing the game.

13. DaMan

# 9 I know, I know, outrageous. A multiplat scored higher than an exclusive. The year is ruined.

Let’s just forget about this little embarassment and continue to use Metacritic scores in our arguments. They’re fine as long as we agree.

14. DSB

Hype breeds hype. People, certainly including reviewers, probably had their verdict all written up beforehand based on Arkham Asylum. If something actually didn’t live up to that, I doubt they’d be prepared to aknowledge it.

Of course I won’t be able to tell before I get it next month, but while I’m more than happy with some more of what Arkham Asylum brought, that wasn’t the pan-ultimate game of games either.

It was a very good game, but people certainly whipped themselves into a frenzy that went far beyond that. I think people might be so used to the monthly shovelware release that once someone actually does something right, they go completely bonkers for it.

15. Gekidami

Grow up for once.

Yeah, that wouldnt surprise me. When i think back to Asylum i do wonder at times what people -including myself- saw in it. I think what really pushed it was that it was unique and well executed, two things i really dont see in City.

The sequel feels like more of the same and the whole open world side just serves to dilute the experience, as Phoenix said it causes the plot to feel disjointed and a lot of the stuff comes off as filler, the overall world is also too small and what you can do too limited to give you any sense of freedom ala GTA. So to me it loses on both fronts there.

And i’m not feeling the same level of execution either. Besides the plot seeming weaker than that of Asylum, nothing else has really impressed me. The Al Ghul part for example just comes off as a cheap Scarecrow section knock off, its just so blatantly trying to be that awesome part from Asylum yet really falls short.

Like i said, i havent beaten the game yet, but right now, whilst the game is solid, it isnt setting my world on fire.

16. DaMan

^Admit the hypocrisy for once.

17. DSB

@15 To me Arkham Asylum comes down to the fact that it feels like you’re in a good Batman movie. It just gives you that mindset, which is something that I’ve only felt in the very best games I’ve played.

He slaughters bad guys, fights villains and shoots left and right with all kinds of gadgets. It just works.

It’s just the thrill of doing something that you never would or could, which used to be a big videogame design mantra. But of course today developers are busy taking all the fun out of things like that, in favor of social realistic drug slinging or faked warfare.

I just checked the Tom Chick review, which is one of the sources that usually helps to cut through most bullshit, but that’s like one long ode to the game. I’m sure it’s great, and I’m quite confident that I’ll enjoy it a lot, but you’re not the first I’ve seen to be a bit underwhelmed with it.

18. Takeshi

@1: Get it now and pay the price that it deserves.