New Medal of Honor teased in copies of Battlefield 3 – info

Monday, 24th October 2011 05:11 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Ahead of Battlefield 3′s release in the US tomorrow, media has started appearing online of a leaflet that seemingly teases the upcoming new Medal of Honor within copies of the shooter.

Not much is on it other than some sort of angry-looking face thing, with the initials MOH and the URL of the game’s website.

The leaflet is shown in an image from the PS3 edition in the UK, as well as a US 360 SKU in an unboxing video. Both have TBC or Rating Pending slots on the leaflet from the BBFC and ESRB respectively.

Its been known since early this year a new Medal of Honor game has been in the works since the series rebooted in October last year. Producer Greg Goodrich admitted developer Danger Close was working on a sequel in February in a blog post.

“Yes, Danger Close is currently working on the next Medal of Honor,” he said at the time.

“We can’t wait to tell you more about it, so check back often to the website and the fan page on Facebook.”

The first attempt – made by DC on the single-player side and DICE on multiplayer – hit 2+ million units sold soon after launch. As of February this year, it’s sold 5 million units, despite initial mixed reaction at release.

It ended with a 72 on PC, 74 on 360 and 75 on PS3 on MetaCritic.

Thanks, GAF.

1. Erthazus

Medal of honor 2010 in my opinion was a mediocre game with mediocre singleplayer and bad multiplayer.

I don’t know why they bother with this. EA should continue Bad Company series.

2. Yoshi

Whatever they do, I hope they don’t flush it out for next year *fingers crossed* Give us breathing space and don’t be idiots like the COD Series… just because you’re thinking of switching between MoH and Battlefield doesn’t make it any better.

P.S I didn’t think the singleplayer of MoH was that bad, I quite liked it. It took us on a bit of a different journey than the usual “kick ass whoopteedoo la la”

3. jacobvandy

I liked the single-player, too, but the multiplayer was a waste of time. I’m not going to play a COD clone online when I can play Battlefield instead. They should just focus on a long, well-produced campaign and leave it at that.

4. Erthazus

@2. “I quite liked it. It took us on a bit of a different journey than the usual “kick ass whoopteedoo la la””

I quite liked that too, with one exception. That journey was not well designed. I want them to continue going this road, but this time making it right.

but i’m not sure that they will make it right, because behind that “Danger close” studio is nothing special.

5. Maximum Payne

I didn’t finished MoH SP it was that bad for my just feel very doll.
    They already confirmed they will use frostbyte 2 engine.

6. TD_Monstrous69

I can’t say I’m too suprised, seeing as how Battlefield 3′s existance was unvelied with the Medal of Honor reboot. Though I only hope that the next Medal of Honor is built using FrostBite 2. Because it seemed like the game (which I thought was good) could’ve been better if it had had a clearer path techwise, as well as better marketing and multiplayer. The single player had a great tone with an excellent sense of place within it (namingly it captured the feeling of being a Tier 1 Operative fighting against the Taliban really well, seemingly at least). [Also if something as so insignificant as a label for the name of an online AI team is going to cause such an international incident as it did [one of the biggest bs moments in gaming history], at least answer it with some integrity, and be forthright with the decision, not bitch out during the final hours before release in attempts to appease people you’d scared away previously]. But by better marketing, I mean don’t promise an in-dpeth story which is what seemed to be promised when that trailer of a soldier calling his family came out, trying to re-assure them that they weren’t in any danger, when in fact they were lying. I’m not saying the story was bad, it just wasn’t the story the advertising illusion had promised. As far as multiplayer is concerned, this has more to do with technical problems. I believe trying to upload enviornments and textures built on a different engine into another engine just can’t work out too well, and Medal of Honor’s online is proof. Because everything felt a bit scaled back, and I don’t know if it just might be my connection, but the multiplayer was a little buggy. Anyway those are just my thoughts, can’t wait to hear more about it though.

7. swillo

Here’s the original source for the MOH Image above. It’s not linked in the article;

8. YoungZer0

Thank god. Don’t get me wrong, i think the game didn’t succeed in a lot of the things it tried. The squad i was working with? Don’t care. But i should, some of them are based on real people, but you never get to know them.

My character “rabbit”? They call him rabbit because he has 5 kids or so. They never mention that in the game.

I liked how the game had a much slower pace than the other games. I think that’s what most games are lacking today.

It’s always big epic moments with a lot of boom and bang. The first Modern Warfare had many silent moments, without the boom and bang and i loved those moments.

Medal of Honor had those moments and i also loved the game for it. I also liked how different Tier 1 was compared to other Special Forces you’d play in videogames. The beard, the clothes, all of those things made sense.

So i hope they concentrate more on the story and the games length. Because when i was really loving the action the game ended.

9. G1GAHURTZ

LOL!

EA have Respawn’s game, MOH, Crysis, and BF.

Too many shooters for one publisher.

10. Yoshi

@9 That’s why if they’re smart they’ll space them out perfectly :) *crosses fingers*

11. DSB

@8 It did a lot of things right, and if you look at it like an action movie, it really tuned into peoples idea of special forces in an almost perfect way.

That being said, as much as I enjoyed playing through it, I also felt like it straddled an uncomfortable place between reality and fiction. They did try to make it feel “real” in terms of the characters, but that also makes it feel very exploitative to me. Price, Soap and all the Bad Companies of the world are the disposable heroes we’re used to, but even if they weren’t, they aren’t engaged in a real conflict, unlike these guys.

I read a lot about war, and that personification in a game made me feel a little sick, because ultimately it’s entertainment, and nothing else. I think it’s important to tell soldiers stories and educate people on what war really means, but you’d need a far more serious game to do that sort of thing. Medal of Honor felt like it was just meant to get peoples rocks off based on a few well picked stereotypes.

I’m also glad that DICE actually took as much from the multiplayer as they did for BF3. It got a bad rap, but really, aside from DICEs trademark “Ooops”-maps and limited content, it’s the best I’ve seen from those guys since BF2142.

You shouldn’t stare yourself blind at the whole “tier” thing though. The US has more special forces units than any other country, and they all excel at different tasks. You wouldn’t be able to tell a Delta from a Ranger or a Seal from a Green Beret, when looking at them in the field. I once got told by a military intelligence guy that I’d fit in well with special forces in Afghanistan, because “after a month, they all look like ZZ Top”.

12. OrbitMonkey

EA have already stated that their gonna market MOH every other year in-between BF releases, so this is no surprise. Hope they turn It up a notch, MOH was enjoyable, just needed a bit more love & attention.

Lol @ DSB, so American spec-ops have 2 looks now? The other being Chuck Norris obviously :)

13. DSB

@12 I got your back man!

Managed to find some intel:

I would never let a man go into the field without a proper mullet on his head.

14. IL DUCE

Believe that’s the Tier 1 symbol/emblem…

MoH was fine it was just a bit rushed…definitely dug the lean mechanic in a console game since you don’t see it often…MP was pretty good, it was basically a Bad Company-CoD hybrid