Blizzard believes players will “come around” to Pandaria

Monday, 24th October 2011 02:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Blizzard isn’t worried about a negative reaction to the World of Warcraft Mists of Pandaria expansion, announced at Blizzcon this weekend.

“I think people will come around once they start playing it in the game,” lead encounter designher Scott Mercer told GameInformer.

“You’ve seen in the demo that they’re so charismatic. Playing a monk is amazing. Pandaria is gorgeous. I think it’s just a matter of time for some people.

“They have preconceived notions about how cool pandas can be. But Blizzard pandas are awesome, so I’m not worried about that.”

Check out our full report on the news and announcements from Blizzcon’s opening ceremony, and the expansion announce trailer below.

1. DarkElfa

Oh come on! Who saw that trailer and didn’t immediately think, Kung Fu Panda?

2. Phoenixblight

Apparently someone has never played the original Warcraft games. The Pandaren has always had an asian theme to it.

3. Ireland Michael

@2 You still don’t get it do you, you blind Blizzard fanboy?

People are aware that they existed in the previous games (even though they were still considered a joke even then). That still doesn’t change the fact that the art-style is almost completely ripoff of Kung-fu Panda’s aesthetics on almost every level.

4. Erthazus

Michael, you are a bit mistaken here. It’s not a Kung Fu Panda art style, because that race was created before that famous CG movie.

and Pandaria art style was made by the WOW’s art style. It’s cartoonish so of course it really resemble something from Kung Fu Panda.

BTW, i’m also not the biggest fan of this addon. Because it is a typical Blizzard fat “milkshake” material after they joined Activision.

After Cataclysm i forgot about WOW and now playing World Of Tanks, waiting for Guild Wars 2, Firefall and etc. I’m sure you are exploring for new experiences too.

5. Ireland Michael

@4 It doesn’t matter when it was made. Just look at the visual designs for the locations for one. There’s a few scenes in the location real for the expansion that practically rip off Kung Fu Panda as well, includinga freaking scene with a barely clothed fat panda is fighting a monkey.

That’s not even subtle. It’s blatant.

It’s fucking lazy.

They could easily have made this expansion without making it look almost aesthetically identical to Kung Fu Panda, which they have. That’s a simple fact.

6. jnms

Michael, the entire Warcraft franchise is a total rip off of another franchise; Warhammer.

The artstyle is more or less identical. Blizzard don’t seem to have much imagination when it comes to art style.

And that’s before we even start comparing Starcraft and Warhammer 40k.

7. Gheritt White

This will appeal to Wow’s growing Chinese fanbase, no doubt.

8. Colin Gallacher

I think the need to tone down those colours a tad. My eyes are very nearly bleeding.

9. silkvg247

@3 – First of all calm down, you’ve been taking too many rage pills. Secondly, I feel the need to point out that you have things completely the wrong way around. I thought it was common knowledge that kung fu panda was inspired by the original pandaren monk?

I don’t like the sound of the pet thing. They should have done housing instead.

I do like the sound of the PvE scenarios, as long as I can do them duo that is.

And lol @ the giant turtle. Discworld homage?

10. Phoenixblight

Yes I am a fan boy because I knew that the Pandaren had already an asain theme to it. Even the fanbase that supports Pandaren support the asian theme with their art.

I am not sure why you are pissed did WOW take away your gf and have sex with her? WOW is clearly not built for you so just leave it alone and move on.

11. TheWulf

Sorry guys, Michael is right. Objectively right.

See, I played Warcraft III, so no one can pull that card on me. I had a Pandaren Brewmaster. I did that dance. The Pandaren then looked completely different, the art style was unique, and this was back when Blizzard actually had an imagination. And despite the Brewmaster being drunk, it really didn’t feel so… out and out racist, frankly. Though maybe racist is too strong of a term, but at the very least it is horrendously stereotypical in a way that might be offensive to some people.

And it’s Kung-Fu Panda. The Brewmaster in Warcraft III didn’t have any Kung-Fu Pandaness about him. Just take a look at the little guy right here. As you can see, the original design for Pandaren was completely different. What they’ve done here is traded that original design in for a shameless Kung-Fu Panda rip-off.

I didn’t need more evidence to add to the pile to prove that the post-Vivendi Blizzard is completely creatively bankrupt and incredibly fucking lazy, but… hey, this is more proof. So it goes on the pile with the rest of it.

12. DSB

Really, if you want to see the Kung Fu Panda, you can, but that’s just because you choose to.

It strikes me as stupid for several reasons. The original Pandaren obviously had a shaolin style. Shaolin style as in shaolin kung fu. The fact that they might remind you of a different kung fu panda isn’t all that weird, given the relative scarcity of kung fu pandas in the public domain.

The fact that someone goes and makes a movie with Jack Black in it with almost the exact same concept has no bearing on that, beyond peoples inability to see past pop culture references, which would be pretty fucking hard in Warcraft to begin with.

In terms of avoiding similarities, what was Blizzard supposed to do? Make a bunch of psychopathic worldweary pandabears who hate everybody? How would that make any kind of sense?

How anyone can feel for the sort of mythological pulp fiction that makes up Warcraft “lore” is beyond me. I enjoyed the plot, especially in WC3, but it was always borrowed or stolen, and that goes for all of the Warcraft games.

That’s not to mention the weird thing in pandaren being recieved quite well in WC3 (after a mandatory period of whining) whereas once they get dumped into WoW, suddenly it’s a huge offence again. As if WC3 didn’t have three times the story of WoW, and then some.

I think it says a lot more for WoW players generally growing a very solid stick up their ass once they play the game for 2 or 3 years. I left it for dead myself, but I wasn’t jaded by it, and I still don’t see why that world would deserve to be taken so seriously all of the sudden. Clearly the people who made it never did.

13. Hybridpsycho

Most arguments/opinions in this thread honestly made me dumber.