WoW: Mists of Pandaria announced, Annual Pass introduced

Friday, 21st October 2011 19:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard’s announced the next expansion for World of Warcraft, subtitled Mists of Pandaria, at Blizzcon’s opening ceremony this evening.

The new pack will mainly focus on the oncoming war between the Alliance and the Horde, according to Blizzard VP Chris Metzen, with the Pandarens the key to the conflict.

They will also be the brand new race within the game, alongside its home of Pandaria. A Monk class will also be introduced in the expansion.

Also included will be Challenge mode dungeons, PVE scenarios, pet battle system, a new talent system and a level cap increase to 90.

“Players have been asking to see the Pandaren in World of Warcraft since the game’s launch, and we’re excited to finally be able to give them a proper re-introduction to Azeroth,” said Blizzard CEO Mike Morhaime.

“In addition to the new playable race and class, Mists of Pandaria contains a huge amount of new content, and we’re looking forward to sharing more information about all of it at BlizzCon and beyond.”

There’s currently no date as yet. It will be playable on the Blizzcon showfloor, though.

Morhaime also introduced WoW Annual Pass at the beginning of the conference. When you buy a pass, you’ll get with it a 12 month subscription to World of Warcraft, as well as access to the Pandaria beta and a Tyrael’s Charger mount.

Pass owners will also get a copy of Diablo III for free.

You can pick up the Annual Pass from the WoW website today, but fair warning: the website is getting hammered right now following the announcements.

The official announcement video for Mists of Pandaria is posted below, along with enough screenshots and artwork to do you a lifetime. Enjoy.

1. Dralen

So Pandarians are the new playable race. Interesting.

2. Dugstar1

Kung Fu Panda ! !

3. Erthazus

@1, it’s confirmed that it is for both factions.

I remember that in the past Pandarians as a race should be with Alliance in Burning Crusade addon.

things have changed since than i guess.

4. The_Red

LOL
    So true. Seriously, there should be a commenter award for this.

5. spikefail

@3 They don’t care about lore.

Annual pass is a nice touch.

6. blackdreamhunk

kung fu panda + plus guild wars cantha LOL

7. Stephany Nunneley

RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! an absolute F***ton of shots have been added. Please look at them. It took me about 45 minutes to download, and add them.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 *looks*

They couldn’t have ripped of Kung Fu Panda any more if they tried, could they?

This is horrible. Pandarens were never intended to be anything more than a humorous in-joke in World of Warcraft. Making them established canon is stupid.

Then again, I guess they don’t have any other lore left to suck the life out of.

9. Mineral4r7s

@5 Pandaren been in the WoW Lore a long time already. Its about time they make a debute.

Makes me even try out WoW again. Monk Class sounds interesting.

10. Erthazus

@8, actually you are not right about Pandarens.

Pandarens is a very important race with very big lore about them since Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.

there are a lot of people that wanted this race since Burning Crusade.

11. Ireland Michael

@9 They’ve been in the lore an extremely minor capacity, and were never really meant to be taken seriously in any capacity, to the point where they’re most disregarded as being part of canon lore.

This makes me want to go back to World of Warcraft even less, frankly.

@10 They appear in like one battle in the whole game, and there isn’t a single Pandaren character directly involved in any major plot events. The race has almost no established characters with actual names.

12. Phoenixblight

Pandaren were a joke race and never intended to be anything but. Blizzard decided to include them not complaining about it. People have wanted them since vanilla.

13. Daodan

Really ballsy move, this expansion, IMO. I don’t play WoW anymore but I’ve kinda followed its progress. This looks really cool and I would definitely appreciate it if I still played. People have always been very divided on the whole Pandaren front though, and now it’s actually happening, I suspect there will be a lot of quitters too.

14. LOLshock94

FAPFAPFAPFAP PANDAS FAPFAPFAPFAP WORLD OF WAR CRAFT FAPFAPFAPFAP WORLD OF WARCRAFT LORE SAYS PANDA WERE WAAAYY BEFORE DRAGONS FAPFAPFAPFAPFAP

15. DSB

The thing that always made me ponder when I butted heads with the really hardcore nerds in WoW is why the hell anyone would care about that lore?

I can understand the attachment to the old games, and they did have great stories in and of themselves, but every part of the lore itself is ripped off from some all too obvious off-the-shelf mythology. They literally didn’t give a fuck in trying to support that world at any point.

I always thought Blizzard were at their best when they could apply some humor and real imagination to what they were doing. Northrend and the Cataclysm zones weren’t the most accomodating places for that sort of thing. I think this’ll be a lot better for someone like me.

Not that I’m going back, but I’d have no beef with it.