Bethesda: Doom 4 shelving report is “complete bollocks”

Friday, 21st October 2011 05:51 GMT By Staff

Bethesda has flat out denied that Doom 4 has been “indefinitely postponed,” saying any such report is “bollocks.

In a tweet, CC’ed to Eurogamer operations director Tom Bramwell, VP of PR and marketing Pete Hines bluntly said Kotaku’s original report was “complete bollocks.”

He added in a further tweet that “no title under development at id has been postponed – indefinitely or otherwise.”

The site was given the info by an anonymous source close to Bethesda, who claimed the decision was made at a “company wide” meeting in Dallas.

The game, first announced in 2008 and largely silent since then, was reportedly put on “indefinite” hold due to “the issues and reviews” of Rage’s launch, with Zenimax and Bethesda apparently feeling “a serious lack of confidence in the project management at id”.

RAGE currently holds a Metacritic average ranging from 79 on PC to 83 on PlayStation 3. The PC version suffered a number of GPU driver issues at launch which detracted from its claims to graphical prowess. The game has charted highly in all territories.

[Original story by Brenna Hillier, contributions by Johnny Cullen]

1. xxJPRACERxx

Since I’ve switch to nVidia the game is performing flawlessly. AMD should be blame, not id, for having very poor OpenGL drivers.

2. Big_Boss

Good news, they’re actually listening to their customers. Any game made with that garbage mega-texture technology is a failure from a visual and technical perspective. Rage is also just mediocre to begin with, the crappy graphics just adds to the failure.

3. BULArmy

Yeah I think no one saw this coming after the acquisition of id by Zenimax.

/sarcasm

If this is true the whole “we(id Software) are still independant and will do whatever we want” is over. But if Zenimax try to mess with id it will be a huge mistake. Rage is a pretty good game for what it is and it gave me much more pleasure moments than Oblivion or Fallout3/NW. Yeah it coud have been much better and the technology is not CryEngine 2 mindblowing. I think if id want to survive the harsh corporate enviroment they must became like Blizzard and even Valve of today, stick with their well-known IPs. Doom 4 can make the transition to todays standarts(unfortunately very low), Quake not so much, but it is also possible. Also i think Doom 4 can sell well only by it’s name.

4. The_Red

I think after the total freedom Zenimax gave to them and the time they had to make Rage (Seriously, not even Blizzard gets this type of free / long dev time to make a game these days), they were expecting a GOTY contender and not a game that’s kinda good.

5. OrbitMonkey

Literally just started playing RAGE this morning, so will be able to judge for myself. Not too bothered by the DOOM 4 delay. Fairplay for Id in trying something new.

6. Freek

If you don’t want Id making Doom 4, exactly what is the point of even having that studio anymore??

7. Patrick Garratt

@5 – “Indefinitely postponed” means “canned”. If it’s true, it’s dead.

@6 – That’s the billion dollar question, innit.

8. Phoenixblight

You haven’t been following the development of Doom 4 but Carmack already stated that Doom 4 would not be using megatextures. SO you sir fail.

9. bpcgos

pfftt… poor id, it looks like Rage didnt sell well on console !
    Carmack put its hope too high at console, but sadly there’s no room for average game like Rage to be sold well in console!

@freek
    Agree with that! What IP does rage have beside Doom 4 that guaranteed to sell ? The last wolfenstein also just another mediocre FPS!

Sign of nother layoffs?? I hope not !

10. Edo

The same should have happened to the PC version of Rage.

11. Blerk

Rage didn’t perform THAT badly at review. And people seem to be enjoying it. Seems weird to can a completely different game as a result, especially given that it’s a new title in a very famous series which would probably sell pretty well just off the back of its name.

12. Freek

It probably wasn’t the reviews as much as the delays and the technical issues of the PC version indicating poor project management. And if you have inside knowledge of the project, wich they obivously have, it probably paints an even clearer picture of a studio in need of some stricter rules.

13. Anders

@6: iPhone games.

14. minxamo

The only problem with Rage is the fact that people are obsessed with graphics, and don’t understand megatextures, so they shove their face up against a rock and then bawl that it isn’t high resolution enough.

15. silkvg247

I like RAGE. Not had any major issues either (using a GF580); just blurry textures sometimes, which I can live with because the main thing is the game is fun. It’ll be one of the few games I actually see through to the end.

I just wish Carmack hadn’t turned his back on the PC like this. If it’d been optimised for PC RAGE would have been AMAZING instead of good.

I also have to say I love the card collection / minigame. I like the racing. And I like the shooting. It actually feels like a good game to me, no idea why it had such bad press.

16. viralshag

It probably sees Doom taking a similar route as Rage, as in being a pricey long awaited and very average game. Personally, I’ve never been a huge fan of Doom and Quake but if Rage is anything to go by, I would say that id aren’t up to the task of bringing something extraordinary to the table.

17. Kabby

It would be short sighted to can the Doom franchise. They would be better served trying to move some design guys from Fallout/Skyrim onto the Doom team and producing:

i) An awesome single player experience. A co-op story mode should be looked at as a unique SP.

ii) A quality MP Deathmatch/CTF/ mode. As in, make up for how shit Quake has been. Additionally, it could be prudent to make Doom the defacto Deathmatch game for the growing esports scene.

Whatever they do it will be a monumental task. As a team they’re simply out of touch and shitting on PC users with a shoddy Rage release was a mistake.

18. Maximum Payne

I think they learn their lesson with Rage and just as Carmack said they will focus development on PC first then on console.

19. SamOnYou

Probably the best results from Tech 5 are the aggressiveness of AI movement in Rage. Rage, for me, felt outdated. No minimap or radar or flashlight and just because id had invented the rules of the FPS genre, doesn’t mean that thay can break them

20. Kabby

That said. This story was taken from Kotaku so could well just be total bullshit to drive some hits.

21. Maximum Payne

@19 No minimap when you are indoor ? Is that hard for you to finish objective ? and why do you need flashlight when almost never is pitch black dark and there is no stealth so only shooting…
    I can say for sure Doom 4 will have flashlight :P

22. frostquake

Sorry..but I would have much rather have bought Doom 4 by now, instead of the Bore-Fest “Rage.”

23. DSB

This kinda had to happen, didn’t it? You can’t start tampering with your strongest property after a mess like RAGE.

I hope it doesn’t have too wild consequences, because obviously id software has a lot of resources to pull on, but it seems to me like they just didn’t care with RAGE, and maybe that makes it a good thing that they’re given a little pause before the next one.

Get your heads out of the engine code, and back in the game.

24. Erthazus

Carmack need to STFU already with his ambitions.

ID can’t develop shit with him. Yes, he is very smart, but because of his stupid ambitions like 60 fps per second on consoles… you get… Rage.

RAGE was a serious mess in every aspect there is. Even in visuals and of course engine.

MegaTextureFail.

25. Johnny Cullen

Boom. Not postponed. At all.

26. Frank17

Bethesda should close down and stop putting ur dirty fingerprints on games. We know all u can make repeative rpgs. Brink was awful. Didn’t play rage. Haven’t heard good things bout it. Doom 4 has potential. But if Bethesda is involved I’m not.

27. StolenGlory

“Complete bollocks”. Heh, if only all PR rebuttals where as straight talking as that eh? ;)

28. freedoms_stain

@26, your knowledge of the inter-workings of the zenimax studios appears to be woeful.

29. Kabby

#20 was right! Oh…

30. OrbitMonkey

@20 Good call :)

31. DSB

I kinda wish it was true. It’s not schadenfreude, it’s just wanting a better Doom 4.

RAGE was stuffed full of creature closets, which they claimed to be done with, so where are we headed, really?

32. Kabby

Creature file cabinets.

33. xino

thank god!
    now they can start making d00m 4:)

34. HeavyD-Love

Rage should have been titled Doom 4. Think about it. It would have scored much higher with some of the harsh critics. It would have been more easily forgiven.

The problem with Rage is, once again, expectations. It’s not Borderlands, it’s not Fallout 3, and it’s not an RPG. It’s a FPS. It’s a FPS that ADDS driving in an overworld, a bit of a story with characters and item system adding a very light RPG element, but it’s primarily a FPS. And a bad ass FPS to boot. That’s what id does. They make bad ass FPS’s with the latest greatest graphics engines. I think many people are incorrectly judging Rage for what it is not instead of properly judging it for what it is.

Had Rage been titled Doom 4, I think people would have viewed it more as an evolution and thus all mostly positive (cause your comparing it to Doom 1, 2, & 3). As opposed to comparing it to Borderlands and Fallout 3, thus pointing out what it’s missing in comparison to those games.

35. Noodlemanny

Maybe their just taking lots and lots and lots of time to make Doom 4 the bestest game ever in the world and even thought they’ve been working on it for like three years their still not even halfway through yet so there’s no point in releasing any new info on it and its not that its been cancelled or anything but rather they’re just taking so much time making it that they aim to actually bankrupt themselves before finishing it. Yes thats obviously what their doing, its a totally sound business plan.

36. Dralen

Thank god for that!!

37. Fin

No, if Rage was called Doom 4, you’d have entitled-feeling fanboys on the internet yelling “THIS IS NOTHING LIKE DOOM DOOM IS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THIS IS JUST LIKE COD BOYCOTT ID SOFTWARE!!!!”.

38. Noodlemanny

I know, it might take a while for my previous statement to take effect but by the time it does Doom 4 should be bloody awesome. Provided Id don’t close before then.

39. DSB

@34 Really though, that’s a piss poor excuse.

“it’s not Fallout 3, and it’s not an RPG. It’s a FPS. It’s a FPS that ADDS driving in an overworld, a bit of a story with characters and item system adding a very light RPG element, but it’s primarily a FPS. And a bad ass FPS to boot”

You might as well be describing Borderlands. It has nothing to do with people expecting ridiculous things, and everything to do first with id software taking most of their cues from Borderlands, and secondly with them marketing it as the bees knees when they were releasing a run of the mill frag fest, long after the post-apocalyptic rush ended.

If you honestly think they just woke up and decided to add quest structure, bounty boards, driving, crazed club-wielding bandits and wild west themes without looking at ANY of the titles out there, then you’re just a tool. And it’s completely irrelevant, because whether they wanted to or not, they still ended up with a product that simply mimics whats already there, and doesn’t move a goddamn thing forward.

And what makes it a badass FPS? I’ve seen better shooting mechanics in Medal of Honor, which is the epitome of a middle of the road shooter, with the exception that that game didn’t bother me with meaningless quest screens and an “open world”, because it was quite comfortable fessing to what it was – A standardized, linear shooter. RAGE still has no clue what it wants to be, so it just halfasses everything.

40. HeavyD-Love

^And what makes it a badass FPS?

Ummm……only all the FPS segments. It’s so solid and fucking gorgeous. Every shot rings true. I feel like i’m IN the environments it’s so damn beautiful. The game is awesome and I prefer to judge on it’s own without having to compare it to Borderlands. I’ve never played Borderlands. I don’t give a fuck about Borderlands. I’m talking about Rage. Which yes, happens to have similar themes to other recent games. So does every other videogame released in the last 20 years.

If I’m a tool for liking Rage, then consider me a tool.

“They still ended up with a product that simply mimics whats already there, and doesn’t move a goddamn thing forward.”

You’re really forgetting graphics and gameplay? Rage is probably the best looking FPS I’ve played to date. And I haven’t heard any complaints about the controls. Even the driving segments are very well done. Therein lies id’s greatest strength. Graphics engines. All we need to do now is pair id’s tech people with Bethesda’s writers, then we’d have one helluva title.

41. DSB

The graphics are indeed great, but that’s just tech, it doesn’t move me beyond the initial “Wows”. The scenery is very impressive and the characters are great, but Borderlands looks just as good to me, perhaps with a bit more humor thrown into the world.

Personally I’m just not feeling the guns. Again (I can’t praise it enough) Medal of Honors shotgun blew me away. It gave a kick like your arm was about to be ripped off, along with the dust it kicked up, and the actual punch it delivered to any hapless Taliban it might touch. It was the perfect storm for a buckshot junkie like myself.

There’s just not enough kick to the ones in RAGE, they don’t seem very action oriented (The sawn-off is extremely slow, when it should be the ultimate berzerker weapon) and the sound feels kinda thrown together. It’s not that I neccesarily hate it, but I also don’t feel it, and that moves it out of the badass FPS category for me.

The driving is alright too, but it’s hardly amazing. I end every race half a course ahead of anyone whos behind me, and while rallies are a lot more interesting, it’s often the same story. Maybe it’s because I love actual driving games so much. I’m not sure I wouldn’t rather have a travel screen or a loading screen instead of driving through the same canyons over and over again, either.

I wasn’t suggesting you were a tool for liking RAGE, that’s totally legitimate. You can’t argue opinion. But if you don’t see the very blatant similarities between the two, then I would say it’s down to infatuation more than anything else.

42. IL DUCE

@9 pretty sure it mentioned reviews as the issues, not sales moron…and the worst reviews were about the PC version, console version was fine besides taking up 20 gigs on my HDD…

@4 so remind me how long has Diablo III been in development? And what about Starcraft II, how long did that one take?…not to mention the likes of other big names like LA Noire taking 7 years to make, 4 of them under Rockstar (same dev time as RAGE, and from scratch RAGE took 4 years…LA Noire already had 3 years of dev time under its belt)

43. Ireland Michael

Thought so.

But hey, why check facts first when you can just post over-sensationalist rumours to draw in as many hits as possible.

44. blackdreamhunk

they should self it it’s made id software and it will be consoletised. Coming near you with crappy graphics and hammered down with crappy game play.