Report – Specific Vita games to require memory card for saving

Friday, 21st October 2011 09:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to a Japanese report, some Vita games will require a memory card for saving in-game, regardless of if they’re bought at digital or at retail.

Via a tweet from 8-4′s Mark McDonald, some of the games that will require the feature include Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Ridge Racer and Hot Shots Golf.

Kotaku Japan has listed which launch titles can be saved to Vita’s internal memory and which titles will require a card. The lists are broken down below, and there’s no word on whether the listings are official or not, so we’ll send a mail.

The following games can saved to the internal memory:

• Asphalt Injection
  • Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
  • F1 2011
  • Dynasty Warriors Next
  • Shin Kamaitachi no Yoru
  • Dark Quest Alliance
  • Army Corps of Hell
  • Shinobido 2
  • Power Smash 4
  • Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend
  • Michael Jackson
  • Mahjong Fight Club
  • Let’s Try Bass Fishing Fish on Next
  • Lord of Apocalypse

The following titles require a separate card:

• @field
  • Uncharted
  • Dream Club Zero
  • Disgaea 3 Return
  • Hot Shots Golf 6
  • Monster Raider
  • Ridge Racer

Andriasang reports that Katamari Damacy’s save status “is currently TBA.”

The handheld releases in Japan on December 17.

Thanks, Miladesn.

1. Bluebird

It’s the N64 all over again. :)

Do they at least come with a memory card?

2. Christopher Jack

The PSVita MUST come with some form of storage, as we’re all lead to believe, there is no internal storage & the memory cards are expensive as fuck! Our only hope is that it comes with at LEAST a single 8GB memory card. Bare fucking minimum, if it doesn’t come with any storage solution what so ever at launch, I’m out, simply can’t afford the extortionate prices on their memory cards as well as the PSV.

3. moargamezpleeze

Surely there must be some kind of internal storage for FW update data. Anyways personally I’m not bothered I need a memo card because I’ll be DL all my Vita games.

4. Fin

It doesn’t come with a memory card, and there’s no internal user-accessible storage (as far as I know).

5. Ireland Michael

Does the Vita use the standard Memory Stick Duo cards, or is it a new format?

6. Fin

New proprietary format :(

7. daytripper

cant game saves be done on the games flash card?

8. Fin

Some can, but some can’t (hence the headline of this story).

9. daytripper

i’m disappointed in this, the whole memory stick status looks a big rip off. i’ll wait for a price drop

10. Christopher Jack

@7, Yes, but it appears that specific games require external storage.

11. freedoms_stain

Weird, I mean we’re talking a few hundred kb max here, no more than a meg, i’m finding it hard to believe they can’t keep one megabyte free for save storage.

12. AxMxH

hmmmz , I wonder if 8GB card will be able to handle almost a PS3 Graphpic games…… PSP games were like few hunderds MB up to 2GB. Lets hop that Technology will provide bigger memories with low cost or good games with small size.

13. PEYJ

I’m out then. This is both too expensive, too old fashioned and I’m quite certain they said to begin with that it wouldn’t need memory sticks to save the games and now this!?!

14. Vitanimus

I get the feeling people are basing the memory card prices on Yen -> USD conversions. While the conversions are expensive, Sony aren’t going to make you pay $114 or so for a 32GB memory card. IIRC, Uncharted is approx. $70 in Japan whereas in the US it’s selling for $40. It honestly won’t be that bad, I hope.

15. Ireland Michael

@14 Sony’s memory car format’s have always been exorbitantly expensive for very little storage anyway.

This right here is going to kill it for a lot of people. Unless someone releases some sort of adapter for other memory car formats, I’m not interested either.

16. Christopher Jack

@14, I’ll still end up paying the same price as Japan unless I import.

17. Stephany Nunneley

Reported list of games requiring it and not requiring a memory card has been added.

18. Gama_888