Video: Vita was “never designed to be PSP2″

Thursday, 20th October 2011 21:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

John Koller, SCEA’s director of hardware marketing, has said when Sony first started conceptualizing Vita, the firm always looked at the device as something “so much greater,” than what a PSP2 could be.

Speaking in a developer diary for the handheld, Koller said that while Sony looked at “a really broad range of things,” for Vita, when discussing the final product it wanted Vita to be so markedly different than what mobile is, that Sony “stopped talking about mobile and other portable devices.”

“We left all that in the past,” he said. “[Vita] is kind of superseding the market with an entertainment experience.”

In the video posted below, various folks from Sony Worldwide and Santa Monica Studios chat about the development of the handheld, how it’s as close to having a PS3 in the palm of your hand as possible, how president Shuhei Yoshida evolved the entirety of the development studios in the creation of it, and just how awesome it’s going to be once you get your hands on it.

You can watch the video below, or through the US PS Blog.

Vita launches in the US and Europe on February 22.

1. Erthazus

Impressive, although i hope for a better and more original games than the launch lineup.

buying this 100%. the question is “when”.

2. daytripper

has it been clarified 3rd party memory works on vita? not paying sony’s rip off prices

3. Ireland Michael

+With the PSP, I was able to use nice, cheap micro SD cards by using a cheap adaptor which allowed you to simply slot the micro SD into, and then you put that into the PSP’s memory card slot.

I would be very surprise if someone doesn’t develop something like this for the Vita.

4. Razor

Vita won’t be a genesis, it’ll be an N-Gage.

5. polygem

i wonder if there will someday be a ms handheld beyond zuneish stuff. i would love some halo on the train. since the time i can spent for gaming seems to get less and less with every year i age a mobile device could be a great solution. my major problem with this device is that it will be dlc only. sony made a bad job with the psn store imo. i hate that store, it´s so badly designed it really hurts my eyes. also the pricing is all wrong. they need to fix that- at least they don´t have a stupid points system. psn store, rather boring (while stilish) overall interface, online functions and and the dualshock were the main reasons i gave up my ps gaming. i´m not a ps3 hater though. it´s a great console with awesome exclusives (though in my book everyone who has halo and gears wins – but thats just me again) and probably every serious gamer should have both consoles anyway, but for me it didn´t make sense anymore cause i wanted to spent my time for gaming AND other stuff. i prefer 360 for pad, design and online and just decided to continue my gaming life with just one console.

back to topic:
    i loved my psp. i like the idea to play great games on a smaller screen. i don´t think that´s a problem. it feels like playing on a big screen anyway because the screen is automatically closer to your eyes. when the psp came out and i watched the medievil cutscenes i was so impressed how crisp that looked. psp had some really outstanding games which i loved playing. had several psps -launch, slims, even the go (which i didn´t like)…i will definitely keep an eye on the vita. it could be a cool chance for me to avoid the dualshock but be able to play uncharted, killzone, resistance, ratchet and clank, wipeout, infamous, god of war and jak and daxter, final fantasy (DISSIDIA!!!)…holy shit that´s indeed a lot of freakin awesome exclusives! maybe i should rethink my strategy.

6. monty12345

#5 your totally gonna be able to get removable media for the vita, they’re making some new proprietary solid state memory for the games though- not battery draining umd’s again :)