Report – Sony Pictures close to signing Assassin’s Creed deal with Ubisoft

Thursday, 20th October 2011 14:16 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony Pictures is “closing in on a deal to develop a film franchise” around Assassin’s Creed, Hollywood trade paper Variety is reporting this afternoon.

Negotiations have entered final stages, following a bidding war for the film rights that’s been going on for the past couple months between various studios, including Sony and Universal.

Through Ubisoft’s Motion Pictures division, which it launched last year, the publisher will keep creative control of the movie, a “key” point while talking with Sony, according to Variety.

Sony Pictures has refused to comment, but Ubisoft’s said it had “no specific news to share at this time.”

The next big installment in the Assassin’s Creed franchise, which first started in 2007, launches on November 18 with Revelations on PS3 and 360.

1. StolenGlory

I think they should cast me as Ezio. I have the build, the European features, the beard and… the beard.

Of course, it would have to be on the caveat that they don’t E-V-E-R allow my hood to fall back and expose my receding hairline, but then again, that’s what CG is for I guess :)

On a serious note though, i’ll be interested to see what an AC film turns out like.

More District 13 and less Prince of Persia please :)

2. Yoshi

@1 When was District 13 based on a game? :P Plus Prince of Persia wasn’t bad except for the extremely corny ending… it’s nearly as bad as “and it was all a dream <3" XD

It'll certainly be good to see this come into the movie scene. I just hope that they don't try and rush this. Plus they've already shown AC can be in movie form with the Lineage shorts.

3. StolenGlory

It wasn’t based on game obviously. Sorry, I didn’t really make myself clear at all; I meant in regards to quality of parkour on offer :)

4. Fin

Jason Statham as Ezio and Altair and Desmond.

I’d watch it.

5. StolenGlory

Quite the Statham fan aren’t you? :)

6. Yoshi

@3 Ahh okay :P Well in that sense yes a lot more District 13 haha :P

Jason Statham? wtf? He would never suit the role of Ezio, Altair and Desmond. XD

7. Gheritt White

There quite a well thought out dream cast list here: http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/TheFortress/news/?a=38813

That said, I think Jonathan Rhys Meyers might be a good actor for Altair/Desmond/Ezio and Christopher Lee would work well as Al Mualim.

8. StolenGlory

Good call on Rhys Meyers! I’ve been watching a hell-load of The Tudors lately and have been really impressed with his work.

9. xino

there’s already a assassins creed film:/
    i dunno if its out or not, but the trailer is out for the film
    i saw it on twitch

10. badboy_122

keanu reeves is perfect for this movie

11. Freek

So, will the first movie feature the same 3 scenes over and over and over again? :p

12. Yoshi

@7 That’s an epic cast list. Would be perfect.

@9 You’re getting confused with the Lineage shorts.

13. Erthazus

@Gheritt white, perfect list.

Agree with everything except for Maria Thorpe – Eva Green

14. 2plus2equals5

I hope this will end with a good movie, i want a good vg-based movie.

15. Maximum Payne

Al Mualim – Liam Neeson EPIC WIN!
    This could be potentially new Matrix :P

16. Ireland Michael

@15 An Irish actor playing a middle age Syrian? Please.

Liam Neeson can’t act, and he has the dull, quiet and monotonous voice I’ve ever heard too. He wouldn’t have any of the commanding presence required for a character like Al Mualim.

17. LOLshock94

@7 great list but i think dominic cooper will make a better altair then tom hardy.