CCP to reduce its workforce by 20%, refocusing on EVE and Dust 514 development

Wednesday, 19th October 2011 16:19 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CCP has announced it’s to layoff approximately 20 percent of its staff, with most redundancies occurring in the firm’s Atlanta, Georgia offices, with select positions at the firm’s Reykjavik, Iceland studio also affected.

According to the official announcement, development on the EVE Online expansions, DUST 514, and its World of Darkness MMO have had overreaching effects on the company’s resources.

CCP’s plans are to “sharpen,” its focus on EVE Online and DUST 514, and continue development on World of Darkness with a “significantly reduced team.”

“As we reexamine our outward relations, we are also taking time to reevaluate our internal goals,” read the announcement. “In doing so, we have come to the conclusion that we are attempting too many things for a company our size. Developing EVE expansions, DUST 514 and World of Darkness has stretched our resources too thin.

“Rather than allowing this to persist, we have made the decision to sharpen our focus. Sadly, this means reducing our staff. We estimate that around twenty percent of global positions will be affected by this process. These will be predominantly in our Atlanta, GA office, although select positions in our Reykjavik, Iceland office will be affected.

“We are very sad to lose some of our talented and dedicated colleagues to this necessary process. Naturally we are making every effort within our means to help them find alternative employment. Decisions like these are difficult for all those involved and extraordinarily sad for all of those whose lives are affected.”

CCP went on to state the layoffs had nothing to due with any decrease in player numbers for EVE Online, as the game is in “good health,” and subscriber numbers are “higher today than they were a year ago.”

The game has continued to grow year-on-year since its launch in 2003, despite a recent decline in player numbers over the last two months from summer’s peak numbers.

The firm attributed the slight decline in the player-base to its “own mistakes,” and “poor communications” with the community, and said it’s correcting these issues now.

Thanks, Massively.

1. viralshag

So basically these guys are losing their jobs due to poor management from the top considering your money maker, EvE, is actually doing rather well.

That’s how that reads to me. Bit of a shame as they don’t stike me as being a large company and 20% is a pretty hefty number.

2. DarkElfa

That and they lost more vets, including myself than they expected to.

3. DSB

That’s usually how it goes. When times are good you can do everything, and when you see the bill, you tell some people to fuck off so you can keep more of what you made.

4. blackdreamhunk

This is bullcrap…..sorta!
    It’s good to see Eve Gamers standing up, being heard, and getting the respect they deserve from CCP and now CCP is rightfully devoting proper resources back to Eve and the Gamers that have basically made CCP rich.

But i am looking forward to World of Darkness. sure a bunch of other MMO’s are coming out so i’ll be busy but i want it now!!! World of Darkness has a great premise and as usual a HUGE CCP game world.

If anything screw Dust514 (Unless it’s the secret PC version) cause many have realized (Even CCP) that Dust514 is gonna flop unless it gets a PC version.

Glad to see CCP keeping Eve Gamers happy and I can’t wait for a Dust514 PC version as well as World of Darkness

5. viralshag

@4, I’m gonna agree with you. Dust 514 has a good idea about it but I can just see it releasing to a very mediocre at best welcome.

And to be honest, I didn’t even know thay had another MMO in the making. Maybe it would have been smarter to just finish on of those two games first before “attempting too many things”.

They have made a niche but seemingly very good game with EvE but from the cries of their main fanbases, aka people like DarkElfa, they seem to be making some really stupid decisions.

6. DarkElfa

Dust will fail. Why? Because they made it for the PS3 instead of the PC, where the entire base for EVE lies. I’m gonna go out on a limb and guess that maybe 20% of EVE players own a PS3.

Of course the only reason it’s going to PS3 is due to Sony’s financing. But it will fail. Nobody wants a half MMO integrated, MT FPS.

I was a bit of an EVE fanatic while I played but when they stopped listening and stopped communicating, I said enough is enough. I chose to vote with my wallet.

I’m sad for the people losing their employment, but sadder that it isn’t the people responsible for this fiasco in the first place like the CEO.

As far as I’m concerned, it’s all too little too late. I gave away all of my ships, my stuff, my cash, everything, then I melted my main. I wanted them to know I was thoroughly and completely done with EVE.