Schofield: Modern Warfare 3′s engine is “a Porsche”

Tuesday, 18th October 2011 06:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sledgehammer Games general manager Glen Schofield has responded again to criticism of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3′s ageing engine.

“I’ve worked on a lot of engines over my lifetime and spent a lot of time putting graphics in to them and this thing is a Porsche,” Schofield told CVG.

“And what I mean by that is that it is stream-lined, everything in it is perfectly freaking clean. You can tell it’s been worked on for years. It’s easy to upgrade.

“We worked with engines before that are like fucking spaghetti. You can’t work on a part and put it back in without messing with everything else.

“I’ve said this before – I’m not shipping an engine, I’m shipping a game. So that’s why I’m going to talk about the game. You can talk about your engine all you want. It’s not fun.”

Schofield said that despite utilising the same engine, the upgradable nature of the tech means Modern Warfare 3′s levels are much bigger, and have greater verticality, than Modern warfare 2′s – on top of graphical improvements.

“If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3 you would see a huge difference. Look at all the character models, look at all the gun models, look at the reflections, look at the water.

“There is so much that we’ve added, so when someone says ‘cut and paste’, I don’t even want to talk to them because they don’t know. They just don’t know. They have no idea.”

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 arrives on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in November.

Thanks, GameFront.

1. Talkar

That may be, but it is still a very old and outdated engine. And maybe the models of weapons and characters, the things you see up close, are good enough, but the levels, are very very ugly. Frankly, i’ll rather play DOOM, get some proper gameplay and graphics that are just as good xD

2. Erthazus

Porshe from 1999 year.

“If you put Modern Warfare 2 next to Modern Warfare 3″

Sorry Sherlock, i can’t see the difference. Your difference is another color pallete and slightly better character models that looks like from 2006.

3. JimFear-666

is this the same guy who never heard about battlefield before bf3 ? if yes… this guy should shut his fanboy bullshit mouth.

The mw engine was good on cod4 but its now bullshit… this engine is too old and ugly to compete with beautifull game like battlefield, uncharted, gears of war…

4. Dannybuoy

I see it as an aging Ford Escort. Still runs but parts are going wrong. It swallows your hard earned money and it feels really uninspiring to drive.

5. Takeshi

If I can run this on my laptop then I’m game. Graphics aren’t really that important to me. Though I would like to see the engine upgraded for the next game. And I think we can all agree that graphics aren’t COD’s strong side.

6. Maximum Payne

Well one thing is def true that they can easy develop because they are using it for long time now.

7. DarkElfa

I’m still going to play the single player campaign on MW3, since the action never disappoints, but beyond that…

8. endgame

LOL!

9. K-V-C

i couldnt care less about the graphics !!!! just hopefully mp is balanced

10. S0meRand0mN00b

IT IS STILL SHIIIIIIT!!

11. GrimRita

According to Top Gear a Porsche is a VW Beetle

12. manamana

Always good at this point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFZrzg62Zj0

13. viralshag

“THEY JUST DON’T KNOW, MAN! THEY HAVE NO IDEA!”

/Goes back to losing his shit – http://bitURL.net/b9c8

14. NeoSquall

Yeah, like the Porsche they used to give on some kind of Pandoros raffles here in Italy.

15. OrbitMonkey

Well i’ve only got a 5 year old ps3, so i’m betting MW3 will look just great… Don’t know what the rest of the console crowd are using to be complaining about the age of the CoD engine… They bring out some new 360/PS3′s with a DX11 or something?

Still its true that *other game* looks great on the ads… Wait thats pc footage? Whats it look like on console? Oh same as it ever did it :)

16. SaintRasmus

But Porsche has made the same car for 30+ years now.

17. DaMan

I think there’s a chip implanted by soviets into certain users heads which prevents their psyche from functioning. A victim of brainwashing campaign indeed.

There’s about as much left from Q3 engine in MW3 as there’s Quake1 in Left 4 Dead 2. Unless someone is that mentally handicapped as to think of an engine as something other than code.

18. bluffbluff03

For me 60 fps are more important than an engine. The 30 fps of bf3 (on consoles) make the game incredible slow. I would be more pleased about Frostbite1.0 but a doubled framerate. Can´t understand why Dice didn´t reach the 60 fps with their Frostbite2.0. With 30 fps I don´t see any technical advantages of bf3 (on consoles, of course).

19. OrbitMonkey

@18 I believe Dice keep the framerate at 30fps to compensate for the amount of destruction; players & vehicles. Our poor old consoles just can’t handle their mighty tech!!

I’m surprised my ps3 can even play all their pc gameplay adverts without crashing tbh o_O

20. DSB

He probably should’ve gone with vintage Porsche.

@19 I reckon they did it for scale. That’s the major beef I still have with the DICE-men. They sacrifice way too much just to make things bigger.

21. bluffbluff03

@20 Yes, that is exactly what I meant.