DICE: Shooters are becoming services

Tuesday, 18th October 2011 05:55 GMT By Brenna Hillier

DICE’s Patrick Bach has said the shooter genre has room for more than one juggernaut, as the market evolves to see games as services.

“I think this year will see a huge growth in the total FPS market,” the producer told IndustryGamers. “The market can grow and include several titles as long as they complement each other and add quality and value to the players.

“I also believe that our free social platform Battlelog will make a huge difference in how people perceive where the game starts and ends. Games, especially FPS titles with their deep persistence and team play are no longer just hard-coded discs. They are transforming into a service.”

Asked to comment on Battlefield 3′s emphasis on reality, Bach said authentic graphics isn’t the only path to success.

“Different companies have different takes on what they want to do and where they want to take the genre. I don’t see it as a race to be the most realistic shooter – realism, as opposed to grounded in authenticity, is not our end goal with Battlefield 3 and probably never will be,” he said.

“Having said that, with greater graphics capabilities comes a greater need to focus on visual details.

“We are not trying to create a simulator. But the feeling that what happens in the game is plausible and looks real and authentic is important to us.”

Battlefield 3 releases next week on all three major platforms, ahead of rival Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3.

1. MegaGeek1

Services? No no no no no… Nothing good ever came out of a company declaring their property a service. Its entertainment, leave it at that.

2. Kabby

The service that CoD and Battlefield provide is keeping all of their players away from everyone else.

3. Talkar

I will give him that shooters require teamplay (thinking of clan matches etc.) but i can think of a few other games where teamplay is more important.

4. DarkElfa

I would like to see better death animations and graphics personally. They need to work more on realistic body damage and physics. I want to shoot a guy in the head and get a realistic result and shoot another guy and get a completely different result.

There just isn’t enough realistic blood and guts in modern FPS games. Hell, even when there is, it’s pre-animated. I want to shoot someone’s gun and break it or knock it out of their hands. Maybe shoot them in the knee cap and see them try to limp away or wet themselves in agony.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not looking for sick thrills, but you get much more realism from the interaction with your enemies than with the environment. Speaking of environment, they need to work on that too. Nothing like not being able to get over a gate or fence or wall higher than jump level.

They work so hard on the graphics that I think think they sometimes forget they need to keep pushing the boundaries of character and environmental reaction.

5. triggerhappy

I wish I liked COD & BF. Everyone seems super pumped for these. Kinda feel like im missing out here :(

6. Maximum Payne

@4 Play RAGE.

7. endgame

“Games, especially FPS titles with their deep persistence and team play are no longer just hard-coded discs. They are transforming into a service.” Uuum NO! maybe BF is but the others r not evolving. u look at CS where it was a few years ago, u look at it now and then u look at all those other shooters and there’s almost no difference. hell some didn’t even improved the graphics..

8. GrimRita

Clearly he hasnt used Battlelog. Its a pointless pile of shit. Why on earth you have to tab into Battlelog to create a new squad kind of sums up DICEs approach to this – insane!

Alt tab/alt tab – lets see how long Windows lasts before it crashes!

9. polygem

@5: i kind of feel the same too. i´m a cod, bf player for years though…but playing the bf beta really disappointed me and all the mw3 footage shown just left me super unimpressed. it will sure be a fun game. but i played the hell out of these games already! yesterday evening i thought about maybe skipping both and maybe play them later or maybe not. i´m just not buying the hype this time. not at all. there´s the awesome gears 3 for online mp and then there will be halo ce which looks like fun too…i will keep my bf3 preorder but will cloesely watch the reviews first. cod i think i´ll skip this time.

10. OrbitMonkey

I wish they’d do more *fan* service… Release some vids of some bikini clad beach babe laying down surpressing fire with a well oiled M60… mmmmh

*goes to his happy place*

11. DSB

Service = Monetization.

I wonder how long it will be until they launch Battlelog: Elite.