Naughty Dog: Uncharted’s online and offline would separate without PSN Pass

Monday, 17th October 2011 11:22 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Uncharted 3 director Justin Richmond has said developer Naughty Dog would need to separate the game’s offline portion if it didn’t come with an online pass.

Speaking to TSA, Richmond said Uncharted would have to exist as two separate products – one offline and one online – without it.

Richmond said PSN Pass needs to be part of the package “or we offer online completely in its entirety,” adding that a lack of online fee for used game buyers would result in a “complete offline package as well, so if you want to play the co-op with a friend, you can do that offline.”

Online passes have become increasingly prevalent in mainstream games since EA first adopted the Project Ten Dollar system in 2010, forcing buyers of secondhand games to pay a fee to access online play.

THQ, Ubisoft and others have since adopted the scheme.

Sony confirmed at the beginning of this month that it’s to introduce its PSN Pass program into all of its first-party offerings, including UC3.

Richmond further justified Uncharted 3’s online pass with the much-used reason of supporting server costs for used games.

“We give literally thousands of hours of content in our online stuff, and on top of that we give you not just competitive, but an entire co-op experience as well,” he said.

“There’s basically a whole alternate history, alternate version story in our co-op, and in this game they’re actually all tied together. All the co-op missions, of which there are even more, are all actually one continuous story, if you play them in the right order.

“We’re giving out a huge amount of content, and part of the reason for the online pass is that when that stuff goes online, it isn’t free. We have to pay for servers and all this different stuff to maintain it, and so at some point games have to make money. It’s a business, and we just want to be able to continue to provide that kind of content.”

Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception launches on November 1 in the US and November 2 in the UK for PS3.

1. Ge0force

So this means we can expect dedicated servers for Uncharted 3? It would be ridiculous to make people pay for p2p-gaming, isn’t it? Oh, wait…

2. Fin

Even if there’re no dedicated servers, there are other servers required to support P2P play.

3. Freek

The server cost vs second hand market thing does not make any sense at all. The audiance doesn’t multiply when a game sold second hand. The person who used to own it doesn’t play anymore so the server load hasn’t changed and the cost of the service has already been factored in for one person in the initial game price.

4. Yoshi

If your going to cry about multiplayer costs then don’t bring us multiplayer! Multiplayer is a design choice to further expand to a wider audience and get more recognition resulting in hopefully more sales so don’t start blaming second hander buyers… fucking idiots *facepalm*.
    And this is coming from someone who never hardly buys second hand games.

5. freedoms_stain

I think Pat tweeted something like “would you pay for a dedicated Online Uncharted experience” and although I haven’t tried it yet I reckon the answer is likely to be no. Battlefield ruined me for most other online experiences. If there aren’t at least a dozen guys in each team with infantry, vehicular combat in land air and sea, I pretty much don’t care.

6. Patrick Garratt

I reckon it’s the elephant in the room on major console releases at the moment. So many people say they don’t care about multiplayer, but triple-A games can’t leave them out or they get sold as used immediately.

7. viralshag

@Pat, Saying that though, would a tacked on, crap MP experience entice you to keep the game any more than if it didn’t have it all?

I’m not saying that’s what you get in UC3, as I haven’t played it. I use to be a notoriously bad game trader and always got rid of games once I was done. I tend to keep everything now unless it’s utterly shite.

Saying that, I still have a copy of Transformers: DOTM…

8. Patrick Garratt

@8 – That’s what I mean, yeah. Publishers and developers face a massive problem with it. Developing a fully-featured mutiplayer component might cost $10 million, or whatever, and there’s a real risk of no one playing it. So what’s the point in making it?

But then if you don’t make it, everyone canes the SP and sells it. And, obviously, moans about the fact there’s no MP. So publishers only get an initial sales hit and then everyone with a passing interest will just wait a few weeks for discounts and used.

Really tough call. Personally, I can’t wait for proper digital distribution for full console titles, because then splitting out the campaign, MP, new maps, etc, etc, into separate parts will just be normal.

The big problem with this right now is that big console releases are sold on discs as full-priced products through retail. That’s just how it is at the moment; all this stuff is teething pains related to the switch over to DD.

9. Quiiick

Stop doing online-passes. Start selling two separate products! There’s nothing wrong with that.

And since the industry is able to sell the online part (multiplayer) via online store(s) there is no confusion at retail. The retail-disc only contains the single player (which in turn should cost less than the combined product as now).

10. MFBB

I rent most games which i wont play for long, something like Heavy Rain/Alan Wake or recently Rage etc are done after 1 playthrough.

2 games or movies delivered to my home for 7 days cost me 4,99 Euro.
    7 days is enough to finish most games.

Makes me the worst nightmare for the game industry i guess :)

I buy stuff like Dark Souls/Skyrim etc which i will play for months and years.

#8 I am sure they will abuse it and not make the packages a fair price, as they do with most DLC.

They wouldnt sell Uncharted 3 single player for 20-25 Euro.

11. viralshag

I still don’t think that selling two separate components would eradicate the pre-owned market. I think as long as there is retail, you will always have that. Like everyone always says, people are on a tight budget so getting something cheaper (pre-owned) or get some value back (trading in) will always appeal to certain people.

If they sold a single player only disc, just because it’s cheaper doesn’t mean they will keep it. Most likely, they will still trade that in and give retail stores an even cheaper pre-owned game to re-sell, as the already lower price will push pre-owned title prices down.

People will always look for a cheap deal.

12. varsas

@10: Heavy Rain had multiple endings; did you just complete it the once?

13. DuckOfDestiny

I don’t mind this system. I just wished they’d make it so the code isn’t included with the game, and then go and make the price cheaper.

I don’t really care for online multiplayer and if given the option of paying cheaper prices but not being able to play the game online, that would be fine by me.

14. PowerT

The majority of people complaining about an Online Pass (that comes free with original purchase) are people who rent or buy used. Those same people are not the developer’s customers so why should they care about the complaints? Most, if not all, of that customer’s dollars go to rental stores or second hand stores.

15. Lounds

Uncharted series is all about the Single player story anyways.

And I think games developers have the right to charge new comers to play online. It’s a good business model. Activision will be next on the bandwagon.

16. FredEffinChopin

No, you’re giving us an experience that one could theoretically play for a thousand hours, that’s not even close to the same thing as a thousand hours of content.

I know it’s a minor point, but when a developer starts using deceptive language like this, it’s usually the beginning of the end for me. I love my Uncharted games, but this might be the first time I tell them to go fuck themselves with this online pass and leave it alone.

17. monty12345

You know uncharted is going to sell millions of units when it launches right?

They’re actually just being really greedy. I can only assume they’re being made do it by sony though, the ND fellas seem pretty sound.

I don’t like this whole thing at all- I mean you don’t see this sortof thing in films or books or anything. They let them be sold second hand.

I hate the bullshit that this industry has, just because gamers love they’re products so much that they will buy and put up with anything.
    We pay too much for video games as is. That’s the reason so many people pirate in the first place.

18. Lounds

Moan moan moan, get a job.

19. monty12345

@18 I can’t really, I am in college 9am to 6pm most days, then studying on weekends, studying computers so I can get into making games. Even though that is completely irrelevant to my point. In Ireland, games are much more expensive than they are in the UK or other parts of europe. If you want a new game, it’s €60.

20. Lounds

To pay back the money you owe us. BOOSH!

21. Teabag

Let’s take server costs.

It’s a bullshit reason. Let’s take its cost to factor ONLY. Not revenue generated by sales of new copies.

If 50 players buy the game, a piece of server is dedicated them for free, let’s assume. If those 50 players sell that game, an additional 50 players will REPLACE them for that piece of server. So the costs and usage remain same, it’s just that new players are playing with the same copy. Old players now have no way to play the game.

Then, server costs don’t factor in AT ALL.

I want an honest developer saying ‘hey, we don’t you to buy our game second hand’. That would work. I would appreciate it.

With the online pass, you just leave gamers will less and less money to buy other games.

22. silkvg247

If it means I can get it even cheaper second hand, due to prices decreasing from a devaluation as a result of the online pass system, then it’s a win win situation for me. I don’t play multiplayer on console.