Carmack says patch coming to fix Rage’s blurry textures

Saturday, 15th October 2011 17:54 GMT By Andrew Groen

Some PC gamers were pretty disappointed with some of the finer points of Rage’s graphical presentation when it launched earlier this month after early hype about its visual prowess.Now id’s John Carmack is promising to patch the game to fix up some of those issues. A forthcoming patch for the game will add new options to PC gamers looking to boost Rage’s graphical performance.

Previously, players could only tweak VSync, Texture Cache and Anisotropic Filter to get the visuals they were after. The new patch adds a bicubic-upsample option as well as a texture detail option.

This information comes from a tweet John Carmack sent out yesterday, “We have a bicubic-upsample+detail texture option for the next PC patch that will help alleviate the blurry textures in Rage.”

Thanks, DSOgaming!

1. DSB

Vsync remains broken as well. I haven’t talked to anyone who’s made it work.

It does have a nice little box to check or whatever, it just doesn’t do anything.

Oh well, next patch. It’s not like they worked on this game for years and years.

2. Erthazus

After one patch Vsync is not broken (completely) just don’t turn it to “Smart”. That feature is not ready yet. They fixed textures at least.

for me they completely screwed the launch and game in the end.
    It’s even worse than Crysis 2 or Resistance 3 in terms of everything.

I don’t get it. Whats wrong with ID? Or Id is sucking Carmack’s 60 frames per second on consoles ass or Id just don’t know what to do anymore without old school designers.

3. BULArmy

For me vsync kind of worked. It increased the loading of the texures and made the game actually playable. But for me the whole game is kind of disappointing.

4. Erthazus

How they are going to make DOOM4?

5. Dralen

The game clearly needed another month in development to clean up some issues. It’s a shame alot of developers don’t have the balls to push back a games release to make sure the game has a smooth launch.

6. Phoenixblight

Its not a matter of “balls”, its a matter of resources. If they had the resources or if the Publisher was willing to throw more money at the developer to allow them to develop further, they would have, but that’s not the case here. Its not like the game could actually release in November when BF3, MW3 will be out. Their goal was to release it before those two games took their chance of revenue away. Unless the publisher knows for a fact that the game will sell enough to make up the development cost and then make a profit, they aren’t going to allow a delay.

7. OrbitMonkey

The ps3 could do with a patch too. My friend says it looks awesome so long as you stand still. Soon as you move the texture blur kicks in.

8. DarkElfa

*sigh* You’re doing it again.

9. freedoms_stain

Every time I read a story like this it puts me off buying PC games day 1. In the case of Crysis 2 it was what? Fucking quarter 1? Half year 1 before they put out the direct x and texture packs?

Paying the premium price for an inferior product is literally bumming your customers up the arse. The guys who wait a few months and bag it less than half price in a Steam sale are getting a better deal more than just financially, they’re getting a better product.

10. _LarZen_

There are only a few textures close up for me that are bad, running the game on max and loving it…so beautiful.

11. SplatteredHouse

:( Completely missed the opportunity for comedy that would have resulted from subbing out this header for the one in the previous article.

12. DSB

@3 As far as I understand, vsync isn’t supposed to affect the textures at all. It’s supposed to synch your monitor and your graphics card so you don’t get screen tearing.

The last patch has indeed decreased texture pop-in, although it’s still very much there, and also helped random crashes. That’s why I’m saying we’ll probably need another patch before they fix the vsync.

13. Phoenixblight

Correct vsync just syncs the GPU to the monitor. It worked for me but I had it fixed prior to that by forcing vsync through Nvidia Control panel. THe patch just allowed for the textures to cache so it doesn’t pull the textures every single time you move and you can also increase the size of the texture cache in order to get better resolution.

The drivers are supposed to fix the actual performance errors but if you have ATI or an outdated Nvidia card you are kinda stuck until the GPU manufactures put out the new drivers.

14. ultramega

Um… it was delayed once, and it could have been delayed again. You’re thinking about this too simply; in purely economic terms. A company must also understand that releasing an inferior product two weeks or a month earlier than it should be released can indeed hurt bottom lines far beyond the little bit of extra money spent in development costs otherwise. This sort of damaging of consumer opinion in a product or a company risks much more of their bottom line. Now they have to recover from all the damage to their image, AND fix the problems with their product.

Except for the fact that Crysis 2 on PC wasn’t broken upon launch. The game itself may have been hurt by being on consoles, but the PC version was by no means inferior to the console versions.

15. Phoenixblight

You forgot one thing, who are we talking about here not just ID but who was the actual publisher? What games have they put out? and what is their trend with their games? All the lines are pointing at one direction.

Bathesda writes the checks so if they say ship, the developer has no other choice but to do so.

16. DarkElfa

This isn’t some low rent dev group PB, this is frackin Id. I have a hard time believing that Bethesda would have much luck trying to muscle Carmack to do anything, check writer not.

17. Phoenixblight

Believe whatever you want but Bathesda BOUGHT ID out they own them and before that ID was owned by Activision. They run on what money they get from Bathesda. If they had their own money there would be no need to be bought. ID is not running on its own resources, its running on what the publisher tosses at them. ID was once a great company back when they created Wolfenstein 3d and Doom, the game has changed. ID may have started the FPS genre but they are not on top anymore.

Carmack has other gigs that he does. He doesn’t rely solely on making video games.

18. ultramega

Well, of course. But Bethesda usually seems to be more in touch with gamers’ mindsets than what we’ve seen during the launch of Rage (Or, at least they know how to make a fun game which pleases gamers, even if their games often end up having technical issues). Hopefully this isn’t foreshadowing things to come with Skyrim…

19. DarkElfa

I’m not saying they don’t have pull PB, I’m just saying that Carmack is still a star and when he wants to do something, his publisher normally listens.

20. Phoenixblight

Of course but they aren’t going just let him run the show ID is playing with their money and they want to make a profit so if ID was to delay again that’s more months of wages and marketing which in turns creates a need for bigger number of units sold. TO be honest this game is not that great, its a perfect “screenshot engine” but the game play is just a Linear Corridor shooter in a post apocalyptic world. The gameplay is really really shallow. They put way too much focus on the new tech and not enough in the actual design of the game. THat seems to be ID’s trend even Doom 3 had that issue.

21. DarkElfa

I agree with your assessment of the game completely.

22. K-V-C

can this be fixed on ps3 ????

23. xxJPRACERxx

Had tons of problems with Rage on an ATI 4890. Yesterday I bought a nvidia gtx 560ti. The game is running perfect in 1080p at 60 fps with vsync and 4x AA, high AF, with large texture cache. The graphics are amazing and the control is perfect. I should have learn my lesson with ATI and Doom3 but from now on it’s nvidia only.

24. blackdreamhunk

also so a good reason not to buy anymore too. A good reason to not support publishers and game devs. I am been buying less and less games. Mass effect 3 maybe the last game I get!

25. Christopher Jack

You’re that upset just because the game doesn’t look as pretty at launch as it could have been? Do you have a theme song to go along with your drama?

You sound like that girl who doesn’t want to ever show her face in public again because of a small blemish.

26. Phoenixblight

So that means you won’t be commenting anymore right? SInce you aren’t part of the demographic that plays videogames and would other wise be a troll. Oh wait….

27. DSB

I’m no tech wiz, but I’m running a GTX 560 on this computer, and I’ve got the newest beta drivers from nVidia properly installed.

It seems to me like they added the option for vsync, but for some reason it doesn’t write to whatever file is supposed to register your choice in the menu. I set vsync on, and the minute I apply settings and leave the menu, it goes right off.

Maybe there’s some kind of corrupt shit in there, and maybe a reinstall would fix it, but in my case it would be the third install, and I’m not super thrilled about that.

28. Phoenixblight

Did you do a clean install and used Driver sweeper when you installed the new driver? Once I did that all my issues went away.

29. DSB

I’ve installed it twice, and there are no problems with the drivers. I have no problems with vsync in any other game.

30. Phoenixblight

Not sure then, I was having issues with the game but once I used Driversweeper and did a clean install. Everything worked as intended. All the settings are left as I put them previously.

You can always go to COntrol Panel and force Vsync.

31. DSB

@30 That’s what I’m thinking. Probably the install has been fucked up. Still, all those workarounds just leaves me pretty apathetic to the whole thing. I don’t like cleaning up after developers.

32. Phoenixblight

THats why Devs focus are the Console over the PC, less of a headache for them. Its all because ID assumed the GPU manufacturers would put the correct drivers. You know what they say about assuming

33. blackdreamhunk

please I am a genre jumper, I have must likely played a lot more videos than you did in your life. Personally I feel the gaming Industry has gone down hill. frankly there is not a lot games worth my time or playing lately.

I am not going to support loser publisher or game devs. I am not going to take their garbage either. frankly the crappy games coming out lately and disrespectful game devs is enough to turn a person off.

Save me more money to other things. I am personally so glade I never bought rage. It would have been a waste of $60. I am not going disgraceful game either.

I am into qaulty games not garbage game devs or garbage games. If you want to waste your money on garbage then that is your business not mine.

34. lonewolf

yeah it sucks to clean up after developers!
    but go to control Panel and force Vsync on (dunno know why it was forced off in the first place!) and also turn triple buffering on for better performance

35. viralshag

For some reason I don’t have the profiles option in my nVidia control panel. I did a brief search and apparently it might have something to do with haveing multiple monitors.

Either way, I’m pretty sure it’s not there, I have looked all over the control panel for it.

36. blackdreamhunk

oh nice list of pc games i forgot about