Final Fantasy XIII-2 screens and trailer bring back Snow

Friday, 14th October 2011 04:24 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Square Enix has released a seven-minute trailer and a collection of new screenshots for Final Fantasy XIII-2, showing off returning character Snow’s redesign along with some monsters and battle scenes.

Head on over to Famitsu or Neogaf to see the screens; the trailer is embedded below thanks to IGN.

Final Fantasy XIII-2 releases on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early 2012, with a Japanese release in mid-December.

Thanks, Miladesn.

1. Brenna Hillier

Updated with trailer.

2. JimFear-666

i cant believe how gay snow looklike… and a guy with the name snow doesnt sound really heterosexual.

3. Erthazus

to be honest, looks alright. I guess they are trying to fix it, but i don’t know. I will probably check it out, but i think story will be shit.

@2, well obviously, Snow must be a redneck. Seriously.
    and his name … hmm probably BOB

4. silkvg247

Looks shiny, but do not want.

The real heartbreaking thing abotu FFXIII, for me personally being the oddball that I am, is that I was actually enjoying the story and the characters and the cut-scenes. But I just cannot stand the combat, and it’s such a large part of the game it’s a deal breaker.

If only there was a “traditional combat” mode on the menu for older folks like me who miss the good old days. i.e. full party control, no paradigms, no game over on leader death, and the option to change battle speed like the older games (and have it “wait” when menus are open).

It sounds like such a simple change, I’d go back to the game in a heartbeat, complete it AND buy the sequel.

5. Kingdom_Key

@#4 All those changes are confirmed to be in the sequel except for the option to change battle speed. If you watch the trailer during the battle segments, you can even see that the bottom option if for Party Leader Change or somethingoranothers:)

6. Clupula

I wonder if Snow’s hair looks like that because he wears that ski cap all the time or if he wears because it looks like that otherwise.

Anyway, as someone who really liked FFXIII (I’d go so far as to call it “very good, but not great,” and my third favorite of the series, behind IX and X), I’m actually not that excited about XIII-2. For one, I’d much rather play as Lightning. I don’t like this new Noel character. He looks whiny and Serah was just a secondary character in the first one. Lightning, on the other hand, was the first FF protagonist in a while that I actually thought was pretty cool.

Still, as long as the battle system is somewhat similar to XIII, I’ll be happy. Absolutely loved the battle system. Of course, it takes 20 hours to get to where you have enough of the battle system to love it, but still, it’s probably the second best in the series, after X-2.

7. silkvg247

@5 So you have full party control and there’s no AI?

Meh in either case no point me jumping into this when I haven’t completed first one.

@6 – Got 26 hours clocked and still hating it.

8. Ireland Michael

This game’s story reeks of “we have no fucking idea where to go with this, so lets just make a load of shit up.”

And Snow’s redesign is fucking terrible. Seriously, that hair? It’s sad, because his design in the FFXIII was one of the few I liked. It’s also funny because Hope’s new look actually looks pretty cool.