Dark Souls trailer offers no assistance whatsoever

Friday, 14th October 2011 05:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

This new Dark Souls is called “Hardcore”, which is what you need to be to survive the game’s delights as catalogued within.

“I remember the first time I died,” it begins. Me too! Not so many of the three hundred times since then, although certainly the one where I fell in a hole and was eaten by curse frogs. That was memorable. So memorable I deleted that save file.

Dark Souls is available now on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, and is drawing critical praise along with a wave of snapped control pads and server overload on the many online guides, FAQ and Wiki pages springing up to fill a gaping, desperate need for help.

1. Stace Harman

As Brenna already knows thanks to my sorrowful lament on Twitter, I found that horrible hole with its friendly frogs last night – shortly after I’d beaten two mini-bosses but, of course, before I’d found the next bonfire.

My panicked flailing around as the chamber filled up with poisoned spores was not pretty (though admittedly, it was probably quite amusing to watch).

Someone should really put up a sign up near that hole, people could (and *will*) get hurt.

2. locus2k1

I finally rang the second bell last night! Although Blighttown was a nice place to gain souls I don’t think I’ll be going back so soon xD

Amazing game, although I have had some issues getting stuck in the environment a lot more then I did in Demons’ Souls, but that is my only quibble; I got use to the bumpers a lot quicker then I expected :D

Epic Game!

3. YoungZer0

@2: Tell me about it. I was stupid enough to go to Blighttown before even ringing the first bell. And i managed pretty good. Nobody told me that’s not the way i was supposed to go! :P

I even got myself some Crimson Red Magician Armor or whatever it’s called. Sometimes running like a fucking maniac into new places, avoiding confrontations, just to find loot really works out well.

4. locus2k1

@3 funnily enough I did the same for the Gold-rimmed armor past the Blighttown bell :D although I didn’t escape too well.. I didn’t catch its name but the Mah-hoosive boss by the item right-hooked me into Oblivion!

Still, its pretty damn good gear :)

5. YoungZer0

@4: Escape? Escape was never an option. I had no antidote for the toxic effect.

6. locus2k1

@5 nah, although I did not have as high HP regen as I did in Demons’, the poison wasn’t so bad once you find the bonfire at the bottom of Blighttown, Humaned up and kindled the fire for 10 potions. Then it was a case of going out to the swamp till I ran out of potions and headed back, once I had covered everything I headed to the boss with 8 potions to spare :D

Still, reminds me very much of the 5th world in Demons’ Souls!

7. locus2k1

But then you did it as your first bell, now that is one hell of an achievement :D