Bilson: “A lot of different models” in mind on how Dark Millennium Online “can be monetized”

Friday, 14th October 2011 08:34 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ core boss Danny Bilson has said that the comapny has “different models” thought about in terms of how it can monetize upcoming Vigil MMO Warhammer 40k: Dark Millennium.

“We have a lot of different models about how it can be monetized,” Bilson told Shack, mentioning that THQ will rearrange the game’s content that best “represents the gamer” nearer release.

Bilson als touched upon recent remarks by SOE boss John Smedley that BioWare MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic, launching in December, will be the last MMO of its kind, giving his personal opinion on what he said.

“I believe that the content can dictate what’s worth subscription, or not. I think a lot of [the MMOs] that go ‘free-to-play’ go secondarily ‘free-to-play,” he said.

“What I’m seeing from Dark Millennium Online’s development is that it’s extremely premium. But, really, the whole online culture may shift and [Smedley] may be right. He may be wrong. [Dark Millennium Online] is set up for all kinds of monetization. We’re going to move it into whatever makes the most sense for its launch.”

Recently, it was thought Dark Millennium was down for a March 2013 launch, with additional info on it coming out yesterday. THQ has since debunked it and the date overnight, but Bilson said in the Shack interview that it was “honing in” on unveil and release plans now.

1. Erthazus

I hope it’s not F2P.

Smedley can go and f. himself. SOE didn’t created something great since Everquest II so there is no reason to agree or disagree with his opinion.

2. Christopher Jack

Gameplay!

@1, What’s wrong with F2P? It’s as if you hate saving money. You seem to automatically assume that a free game is a lesser game. Chances are that even if it does include a subscription model, it’ll still include premium content that you pay for separately.

3. Erthazus

@2, f2P is where you DON’T save money period. It’s where money is spent much more than with P2P system.

Korean and russian F2P proves it. Not to mention that with F2P system you get less polished product.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Logic fail. Nobody’s forcing you to pay for anything.

5. Erthazus

@4, it’s your logic that is failing here as always because you know SHIT about MMORPG games and F2P system.

If you don’t pay by playing f2P game you get in most cases inferior product. I don’t play these. I always pay for my games.
    there are 10-15 methods in F2P system that can rip off people to death.

Besides, who said that with P2P you can’t play the game? See a trial or Runescape p2p system.

6. YoungZer0

“it’s your logic that is failing here as always because you know SHIT about MMORPG games and F2P system.”

Ah, a baseless accusation. That’s new.

“If you don’t pay by playing f2P game you get in most cases inferior product.”

I know, that’s why i stopped playing Conan after 20 min. or so. Still free. Nobody’s forcing you to pay for anything. Nobody’s forcing you to play it.

“I don’t play these.”

So you don’t play them, but somehow you think you know more about it? That makes sense.

“I always pay for my games.”

Your Mom =/= You

7. viralshag

I don’t mind F2P, I can’t say that I find all the games that go that route keep me entertained just because they are free. I also don’t have a problem with sub-based games.

I don’t think people should complain about the quality of the game when offered for free, after all, like YoungZer0 said, nobody’s forcing you to pay for it. You also haven’t lost anything by trying it either.