Sony: Vita games to get simultaneous launch retail & download launches, F2P supported

Thursday, 13th October 2011 14:45 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony has said that titles coming to Vita will get simultaneous launches at retail and as a downloadable flavour.

The reason for this is because “you can just leave everything on the Vita — it’s a completely-self contained device,” according to senior staff developer at SCEA, Chris Norden, speaking at GDC Online.

“PSN is supported from day one, right out of the box at launch,” he added.

He also confirmed that F2P titles can be supported for the handheld.

“You are free to explore whatever business model you want. You’ll have to talk to your account manager, and say, ‘Here’s my idea, and here’s what I wanna do,’ but yes, you’re allowed to do that.”

Vita launches on December 17 in Japan, with an early 2012 release in the US and Europe.

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. PEYJ

One thing about the Vita that I never understood:

was it some disc games or all disc games that needed memory sticks in order to save your progress? If it was some games only will it be informed in advance?

2. CycloneFox

@1: why are you writing in the past? The Vita is not out yet.

But to answer your question, in contrast to the PSP, the vita will not necessarily need a memory stick to save progress. Actually the PS Vita is the very first Play Station console, which doesn’t use an optical media, which has many advantages and brought Play Station’s success, but also has the limitation of disc loading times and not being able to write on.

When you want to save games on the PSP or in some games reduce loading times, you will need a memory stick to save such data. But with PS Vita’s Flash Media Cards for retailer games comes a standart, that advices Game-developers to have speacial memory on the card which is writable for savegames and patches. That’s not so bad as the medium will have enough GBs of room.

3. PEYJ

I wrote in the past as I referred to something I have heard from a previous article somewhere. I admit though that the sentences presents themselves in a quite messy way.

It does sound though as if some games will require memory stick if the developers in question do not create this special memory?

4. 2plus2equals5

Good, but already known right?

@1:From ten to twenty percent of the game memory stick’s space will be reserved for savegames and dlcs, but some games may require space on the user’s memory stick(i guess for things like custom levels)

5. Lounds

I would be hoping they put atlest a 2gb stick in the box.

6. Lounds

my phone came with 8gb for free.