SOE, Minecraft and Rift clean up at GDC Online Awards

Thursday, 13th October 2011 06:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Three companies came out ahead of the pack at the 2011 GDC Online Awards – Sony Online Entertainment, Mojang and Trion Worlds.

Kotaku reports Minecraft scored wins in both categories for which it was nominated, taking home Best live Game and Best Community Relations.

Newcomer RIFT was honoured with Best Online Technology and Best New Online Game; the MMORPG has won solid approval from critics since its launch earlier this year.

But Sony Online Entertainment took the most accolade with three gongs. DC Universe Online score Best Online Visual Arts, whils Clone Wars Adventures took out Best Audio.

Everquest, the MMORPG which nailed the formula so neatly it was nicknamed ‘Evercrack’, was inducted into the awards Hall of Fame, joinging previous incumbent Ultima Online, arguably the first true MMORPG.

The full honours list follows.

• Best Online Game Design: Spiral Knights – Three Rings Design and Sega
  • Best Online Visual Arts: DC Universe Online – Sony Online Entertainment
  • Best Online Technology: Rift – Trion Worlds
  • Audience Award Winner: Wizard 101 – KingsIsle Entertainment
  • Online Innovation Award: Shadow Cities – Grey Area
  • Best Audio for an Online Game: Clone Wars Adventures – Sony Online Entertainment
  • Best Community Relations: Minecraft – Mojang
  • Best Social Network Game: Gardens of Time – Playdom
  • Best Live Game: Minecraft – Mojang
  • Best New Online Game: Rift – Trion Worlds
  • GDC Online Awards Hall of Fame: Everquest – Sony Online Entertainment

1. viralshag

Well done Trion. Very deserved imo for those awards. I’m sure I heard they are making their tech available to people too, to use to build their own games or something?

2. GrimRita

It would have been nice to see SWG win the ‘Online Awards Hall of Fame’ for going through all the crap it has done so over the past 8 years and still be around today(Until December anyway)

I throughly enjoyed Rift apart from the pvp and I cant go back now because I gave everything away(as I do when I dont want to go back)because I am waiting (and praying) SWTWoW wont have ranked pvp gear but I think its a direction they are heading in and just a yawnfest!

But Trion and Rift have demonstrated to the masses how to run an MMO – with outstanding levels of service and regular fixes when they are needed. I just loved chasing ‘Rifts’ to win high end gear you could use or sell on.

3. aprotosis

2 awards? I hardly call that a clean-up. I suppose we can call a Hall of Fame entry to be an award of sorts. Not that they don’t deserve it, but that is usually the award added to all shows to honor their eldest.

Also, how did Minecraft win the award for Best Live Game? Last I checked it was still in beta, which doesn’t count as live. Unless it is possible to win an award with a game not even released yet?

4. Erthazus

SOE and Sony need to step up and bring the goods with Everquest III

If they are going to make F2P model for EQ3 they are fucked up seriously in their ass.

5. viralshag

SOE will probably make EQ3 PS3 exclusive with microtransaction, a subscription AND F2P all at the same time while merging everything into one great big megaserver for RP-SP-PVP-PP-PSP-VIP-NWA-TNT players to all mingle and talk about rap.