Three companies came out ahead of the pack at the 2011 GDC Online Awards – Sony Online Entertainment, Mojang and Trion Worlds.
Kotaku reports Minecraft scored wins in both categories for which it was nominated, taking home Best live Game and Best Community Relations.
Newcomer RIFT was honoured with Best Online Technology and Best New Online Game; the MMORPG has won solid approval from critics since its launch earlier this year.
But Sony Online Entertainment took the most accolade with three gongs. DC Universe Online score Best Online Visual Arts, whils Clone Wars Adventures took out Best Audio.
Everquest, the MMORPG which nailed the formula so neatly it was nicknamed ‘Evercrack’, was inducted into the awards Hall of Fame, joinging previous incumbent Ultima Online, arguably the first true MMORPG.
The full honours list follows.
- Best Online Game Design: Spiral Knights – Three Rings Design and Sega
- Best Online Visual Arts: DC Universe Online – Sony Online Entertainment
- Best Online Technology: Rift – Trion Worlds
- Audience Award Winner: Wizard 101 – KingsIsle Entertainment
- Online Innovation Award: Shadow Cities – Grey Area
- Best Audio for an Online Game: Clone Wars Adventures – Sony Online Entertainment
- Best Community Relations: Minecraft – Mojang
- Best Social Network Game: Gardens of Time – Playdom
- Best Live Game: Minecraft – Mojang
- Best New Online Game: Rift – Trion Worlds
- GDC Online Awards Hall of Fame: Everquest – Sony Online Entertainment