Quick Quotes – Dave Perry on next-gen consoles

Thursday, 13th October 2011 02:18 GMT By Brenna Hillier

“You don’t want to be a console that doesn’t [do cloud gaming]. This future is coming, trust me. We’re well-funded. This is going to happen. OnLive is already making it happen. You need to be prepared for that.”

Gaikai founder Dave Perry, speaking at GDC Online, as reported by Destructoid, shortly after commenting that releasing hardware without cloud support would be “insane”.

1. alterecho

He’s just pushing his wares. I don’t want cloud so hope he is wrong.

2. Dannybuoy

Errr. No

3. jnms

Cloud gaming is the future for sure!

And not just gaming. Soon we will have cloud OS, and Cloud applications.

In the future, having your own PC will be as antiquated as having a turntable record player.

4. Quiiick

As much as I’m skeptical about cloud-gaming, IT will be the future.

The benefits are all on the publisher/developer side and consumers will get screwed.
    Discs will be gone in the not so distant future and this will completly eliminate second-hand sales and great rebates from traditional (brick & mortar-) retailers.
    That’s why the industry will strongly force the adaption of cloud-gaming.

BTW: just installed iCloud today … 0:-)

5. Ireland Michael

Cloud Gaming is not the future.

It’s a nice tool that is useful for someone people, but most of us still want to be able to own our wares, whether it’s stored on a CD ROM or a iPod.

In a time when people are cursing the horrible nature of DRM, cloud gaming is just that – the ultimate form of DRM. You essentially own nothing. You’re just paying for some data to be streamed to you PC.

“Cloud” apps have existed for years though. Google Docs, anyone?

6. Quiiick

@Ireland Michael
    You never “own” a disc-based game anyway. You just own a license to play the game which resides on the disc.
    Sure, you can resell the disc. But that’s exactly what publishers/developers want to eliminate.

7. Ireland Michael

@6 Yeah, I can certifiably say that’s complete bullshit.

I bought my C64, Mega Drive, PS1, etc games. I own the machines. I can play them on them. Anyone who ever choose to take them from my possession would be accountable for robbery.

OnLive can and will cancel your ownership of any game it wants to remove from the service if and when a developer chooses to pull out of the service. I’d love to see where your “ownership” goes them.

Arguing that you “only own the licence to play the game on a disk” is arguing semantics. The only thing I don’t own in the purchase of a game is any online portions of the gameplay, because that is a service, not a product.

8. Gadzooks!

Cloud storage? Great.

Cloud gaming? No. Never.

9. Ireland Michael

People act like storing stuff online is some new, crazy fad or something. Now anything that holds some information online is dubbed “cloud storage”.

10. MegaGeek1

Im not an expert, but would “cloud gaming” not be more of a software and internet connection related thing?Unless he’s talking about a console like “onlive” which I sincerely doubt Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo are willing to roll out yet, then what he’s saying is redundant because none of the major players are going to invest in a strictly cloud based gaming platform.

Like Gadzooks! said. Cloud storage? Yes (which could probably even be implemented now) Cloud gaming? No thanks.

Dave Perry, you fail!

11. Quiiick

@ Ireland Michael
    … Anyone who ever choose to take them from my possession would be accountable for robbery. OnLive can and will cancel your ownership of any game it wants to remove from the service if and when a developer chooses to pull out of the service …

And that’s NOT accountable for robbery? ;)

12. Ireland Michael

@11 No, it’s not.

You’re paying for the use of their service, not actual goods.

You’re paying for the right to use their computers to stream the title to your computer. You’re not paying for the game.

13. Christopher Jack

@12, & if they fail to deliver on their service? You wouldn’t pay a cleaner to not clean…

14. Ireland Michael

@13 No, but I can’t stop the cleaner from closing down if they want to, or removing certain types of services.

It says right there on the OnLive Terms of Service that you’re only leasing whatever you “buy” from the service.

I will own those discs and cartridges as long as I live, unless I sell them.

15. Christopher Jack

I believe that if OnLive were to close down & render every purchased game through their service useless, there would be a lot of class action law suits contesting the terms of the service. Just because you agree to it, doesn’t necessarily make it legally binding.

16. Ireland Michael

@15 Good luck with that one. Keep dreaming.

17. Christopher Jack

@16, Happens quite often.

18. MegaGeek1

@15- Have you read the terms of service? How much do you want to bet that there’s a clause protecting them from that?