Kojima will “still make” Metal Gear Solid games if fans still want it

Monday, 10th October 2011 07:35 GMT By Johnny Cullen

You can take Kojima out of Metal Gear, but you can’t take the Metal Gear out of him, it seems.

Hideo Kojima has said he’ll continue onwards with his involvement with Metal Gear Solid as long as the fans still want it, going as far as saying he hopes to see it continue after he’s dead.

“First of all, I just want to say that as long as there are fans who want Metal Gear Solid, as a producer, I will always want to still make them and I want the series to continue. So even after I die, I still would love to have the Metal Gear Solid series continue,” he said at a presentation last week at the University of Southern California (via GT).

Since MGS3, Kojima has tired to hand off his director and writer roles to other staff at Kojima Productions, although came back to write, direct and produce Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots.

The last MGS title he was fully involved in was MGS: Peace Walker. Kojima admitted that he’s not looking to be restricted to just MGS for the rest of his days.

“As a creator, of course, I want to do something new, and I don’t want to be limited to Metal Gear forever, right?,” he said.

“So of course I have tried in the past. I’ve tried to hand Metal Gear off to other people within the studio and I’ve tried to raise people up so they have the ability to take over. And I think since Metal Gear Solid 3, I’ve tried this and actually did hand it off and have other people come up with the story and come up with the game design.

“But for some reason it just never really works out. And, you know, I end up having to step in again to take charge and kind of fix things here and there and just get sucked back in unfortunately.”

Kojima is currently making his next full game at KP using the new multiplatform Fox Engine, as well as being a producer for Metal Gear Solid: Rising.

He’s also noted interest in rebooting development on Zone of the Enders 3, which he’s been producer on for the past two installments.

1. K-V-C

(cough) we still want it snake not raiden !!!!

2. Eregol

He’ll regret saying that he will.
    He’ll be making MGS games until he dies now.

3. dragonsight

look, kojima is an attention whore. what he is saying is, “i need some more attention. give me more attention and i will make another one.”

4. khemphoud

nothankyou

do whatever you want, something “new”, just ignore fans’ requests and spend your time in what inspires you; it’s like this we got Boktai and Zone of the Enders. Everytime you return to MGS it’s like a waste of your creative time actually, you’re always trying to link pieces that does not fit anymore and overall does not make any sens at all … and you’ll end up explaining everything with “nanomachines” like you did in MGS4.

5. GwynbleiddiuM

@4 Shut up!

@Kojima, YES PLEASE!

6. YoungZer0

@4: Agreed. He should start something new, could consult other MGS Titles, but should not be the developer. Maybe then we might get a director who doesn’t want to add so much Schmalz into it.

7. Ireland Michael

“I’m retiring from the franchise!”

“I’m back!”

“I’m retiring from the franchise!”

“I’m back again!”

“I’m really, really retiring from the franchise this time…”

“Oh, hey guys… guess what?”

It got old around Metal Gear Solid 3.

Now it’s just a gag reel on repeat.

8. The Evil Pope

The MGS IP is pish. Poor narrative, poor controls and poor design just put me off the game.

Only fanboys praise it. For the rest of us, we know just what a mediocre IP it is.

9. viralshag

I’ll be honest, MGS4 was a convoluted and rather crappy game.

10. YoungZer0

“I wonder if he means it’s not working out in the way HE wants it to or if it’s just not working, period.”

I bet he’s talking ’bout himself and i have to completely agree on MGS4. Having recently played MGS2 and then MGS4 again … there really isn’t much game in the game.

Maybe he should try to direct films instead.

11. Ireland Michael

@8 It’s odd, really.

I know the acting is crap, the story is terrible, the gameplay and engine are seriously out-dated, and the “intellectual” musings in the games are poorly exposited, college graduate level trash… and yet, I can’t help but enjoy playing them.

Multiple times.

The mind boggles.

12. viralshag

“Maybe he should try to direct films instead.”

For real. I bet that would be one crazy hard movie to follow…

13. Fin

Jason Statham as Snaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake?

I’d watch it.

14. Ireland Michael

If Kojima ever made a movie, it would just be some lazy, poorly told rip-off of whatever American movies he’s currently obsessed with.

The man has never had a single genuinely original idea in his life.

15. GwynbleiddiuM

Some of the comments developed here are laughable and baseless. MGS4′s Story was a bit cheesy yes, but it wasn’t crap. MGS1, 2 and 3 all had outstanding plots, gameplay innovations are beyond counting. I wonder if any of you actually played any MGS or you basically want to go and rant about everything.

16. Clupula

MGS2 was a disaster and Raiden was only part of the problem. MGS3, however, is the greatest game ever made.

17. DaMan

I would be interested if someone named me those ‘gameplay innovations’ brought by MGS 1,2, or 3.

18. Ireland Michael

@15 “MGS1, 2 and 3 all had outstanding plots, gameplay innovations are beyond counting. I wonder if any of you actually played any MGS or you basically want to go and rant about everything.”

You should read my comment #11 again.

There is nothing “outstanding” about Metal Gear Solid’s plots in the slightest. 90% of it was made up as he went along, as it transparent by the countless number of “Oh, it was only a deception” u-turns the plots take in every single game.

The worst example of this was the whole “Liquid Snake’s possessed arm.” crap. Not only was it a stupid idea in the first place, but by the fourth game Kojima could find no relevant way to fit it into the plot anymore, so he just made it so that Ocelot “thought” he was possessed by the soul of Liquid Snake… through fucking hypnosis! The plot-holes and degree of retconning in this alone is terrible.

The stories are poorly exposited, and lack any subtlety whatsoever. They spell every tiny little idea, every single moral message, out to the player, like they’re too dumb and ignorant to figure out the point on their own. I did not need The Boss lying half naked in a field of roses for 30 minutes, rambling on about the meaning of patriotism, to understand the damn message of the game.

If the story can’t explain itself without the characters going on exposition splurges of orgasmic proportions, it’s a fucking bad story. It’s the first mistake of good storytelling you can make – show, don’t tell.

Half the cutscenes ramble on about the same things over… and over… and over again. He got the balance somewhat right in the third game… but that went completely down the toilet again in the forth.

We don’t dislike Metal Gear’s story because we’re stupid. We dislike it because we’re not, and don’t care to be treated like we are.

“I wonder if any of you actually played any MGS or you basically want to go and rant about everything.”

I’ve cleared every single main title in the series numerous times, and I have a full understanding of the story from the first moment right up to the closing credits of MGS4.

“Go play Gears of War, Call of Duty and Halo and feel really good about yourself, and I go on the rude more and say ya’ll full of it…”

Hilariously, I don’t care for any of the games you just listed.

19. YoungZer0

@18: Oh yeah, i think he went completely nuts with the story in MGS2 and tried to fix everything in MGS4.

Most of the excuses were “It’s because … Nanomachines!” He tried to kind of walk away from the mythical elements he introduced so well in MGS2 and overdid in MGS3 and explain everything with technology.

Didn’t work out. The story of MGS2 was a complete clusterfuck and repairing it would make things even more complicated. And it did.

Hideo isn’t just happy with one story, he’s only happy if his story has at least 5 twists and that’s just stupid.

I remember the Big Shell Intro from MGS2. It is – to this day – my favorite MGS Cutscene. The music worked so perfectly, there was little talk, little information. Actually all the MGS Intros are perfectly executed. Just think about the Tanker Intro in MGS2. Or the Halo Jump from MGS3. Whoever was working on that, knew his job. Little talk, no oversized conversations.

I just wish that – if you seek more information – you’d would get it through codec conversations. Not through cutscenes.

And Snake should have killed himself. Seriously? Big Boss lives only to die again? Ugh.

20. hitnrun

“Kojima will “still make” Metal Gear Solid games if fans still want it”

Which basically nullifies the last ten years of thought re: Kojima and Metal Gear. Not that the man doesn’t have the right to do what he wants, but he should know by now that there are only two choices for him: 1) Keep making Metal Gear. 2) Walk away. You can’t “kinda, sorta keep an eye on” a company’s most profitable enterprise.

Re: the story, the precise shark jumping point for the Metal Gear Series was at the end of the MGS2 tanker. You had just gone through the best section of gaming to date, taken what had been the apotheosis for cinematic games in MGS1 in an intriguing new direction, and fully realized the technical power of a new generation of consoles. There was tense cutscene/plot sequence unlike anything prior in the medium, and then…Ocelot’s arm started to talk.

Downhill plummet.

21. ultramega

I don’t really give a shit what others have to say. I love the series, and I think it’s one of the pinnacles of gaming overall. As long as they keep turning out as awesome as they have in the past, I’ll keep wanting and enjoying them.