Gears of War 3 freezing bug causing problems in 360s

Monday, 10th October 2011 20:14 GMT By Andrew Groen

A relatively severe new glitch has popped up in Gears of War 3 that not only freezes the system, but also prevents players from entering any game mode thereafter.The problem appears to randomly afflict players that try to load Horde Mode in split screen with two profiles. Users on Epic’s forums began complaining of this problem, and Epic has responded quickly, clearly taking the problem seriously.

An Epic forum representative posted a questionnaire for the afflicted users to take so that Epic can try to pin down exactly what the problem is. After all, finding a single glitch hidden away inside the millions of lines of coding that makes up a game like Gears of War 3 is pretty difficult.

Epic also responded to Joystiq saying, “Getting this resolved is a priority for Epic. We are collecting information internally, sourcing as much as possible from the community and exploring potential fixes. We do not have any recommendations to share with players just yet.”

Assuming this isn’t just a PR line, the bit about “exploring potential fixes” should comfort players, as it seems to indicate they’ve located the bug and are simply figuring out the best way to deal with it.

1. Bikki

Had this problem today while selecting to play the campaign. It just froze up and i had to exit to dashboard and restart the game.

2. ManuOtaku

Well then is true theres no such thing as perfect, it has to have something right, because without this the game would be perfect, singleplayer and multiplayer wise IMHO.

3. polygem

@2: yep. flawless game. so good. i played both previous gears and enjoyed them. great and enjoyable games but never became a true gears fan, even wanted to skip gears 3 or rent it later due to all the other great releases this fall. well so glad i changed my mind and decided to play rage later this year…gears 3 is just an amazing package. so polished and well designed. the campaign is truly a masterpiece. they freakin nailed it and made the whole franchise a definite must play now for everyone who hasn´t already. the mp is superb. one of the best of the best. definitely one of the best games ever. didn´t expect that but it´s true.

4. chris rocks yo

I am a huge fan of Epic and the Gears series and would firstly like to say that this is happening to me and it sucks a$$. Secondly as much as I do love gears 3, this is far from a flawless game even without this bug/glitch, for a start: in horde and beast mode it is ‘clipping galore’ with berserkers, brumaks and corpsers clipping through all sorts of sh!t. And there is still the floating body parts bug which you occasionally see throught all game modes. So yes this freezing glitch sucks, but no this game is far from flawless even without this bug.

P.S. This is obviously not trolling, but a p!ssed off Gears fan with such stupid glitches/bugs in a great game series.

5. Dralen

Wow. I’ve racked up like 60 hours of multiplayer game time and I have never had this glitch once.

6. viralshag

@4, I get the problem with clipping and wall walking in Horde mode. I mean, I thought I was safe shooting a Brumak at the end of a man sized coridoor until he turned and magically started walking towards me through the wall. I don’t really see it as a problem though, I find the maps are fantastic and beautiful and in some cases to keep the mode challenging it’s hard to avoid it.

Hope it gets sorted anyway, it is a really great game.

7. Zana

Horrible design is also a major flaw.