RAGE PC patch adds advanced graphics options

Sunday, 9th October 2011 22:39 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PC gamers troubled by ongoing hardware incompatibility issues should take some comfort from a new patch which adds more graphics options to RAGE.

The patch, which hit Steam over the weekend, allows savvy gamers to override id Tech 5′s automatic optimisation in favour of turning all the sliders up – or down – as they please.

“The original release of RAGE does not expose many video graphics options for people to tweak because some of these settings, although desirable from a quality perspective, simply will not work on specific configurations either due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs. Due to popular demand for more video and graphics options, this patch updates the video settings menu and exposes several quality and performance settings. However, not everyone may be able to increase the settings due to hardware limitations and/or driver bugs.”

This demand has wrought new menu items for Vsync, Texture Cache, and Anisotropic Filter.

Although hailed by some gamers as the answer to their fervent cries, continuing hardware problems mean some seem to be worse off than before, with a small handful of users reporting severe, game-breaking issues.

The patch notes linked above include a list of known Nvidia and AMD card issues.

RAGE released on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 last week, with strong reviews. The PC version was troubled by a need for GPU driver updates, which has overshadowed its reception somewhat,

Thanks, Gamefront.

1. BULArmy

Now the gfx cards manufacturers need to release new drivers and this game will be fully playable. Oh and also real HD textures are needed, but there is time for that. Drivers!

2. Erthazus

Works great. Glad that they added “smart” Vsync and filters.

Everything is smooth. But damn, shitty textures because of outdated 360 and PS3 hardware hurts what Id have done with the game.
    I don’t understand why they didn’t included at least proprietary Nvidia and AMD texture enchancment.

3. Erthazus

I hope that DOOM 4 they will make for PC and port it to 360 or PS3. Limited technology hurts ID and PC a lot.

4. Lord Gremlin

@3: And console sales will drop as a result. For this type of game PC is not a relevant market anymore, even Carmack admits it.
    Ah, a man can dream for a PS3 exclusive iD game… Or maybe not, these lads don’t understand that patches and install are unacceptable for a console game.

5. HauntaVirus

PC gaming is officially shit. The last hope is Valve and Blizzard.

6. Kenshin1870

PC gaming rulz. Thanks for the info now we can play the way that console can’t like crysis 2 with directx 11 and hd textures xDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

7. Fin

Forgive me if I’m wrong bro, but you called Rage GOTY a few months ago, no?

also, shitty sub hd pcs are shit hahahahahah go back to DICE games fanboy

8. Erthazus

“also, shitty sub hd pcs are shit hahahahahah go back to DICE games fanboy”

“Herp derp shitty sub hd pcs are shit hahahahahah” – your brain is damaged. Fix it. Oh and yes. I will absolutely return to DICE games once they will be available at 25 october with my clan mates. I hope i won’t see you there. You are too small for their games. Stick to Halos or CoD’s.

” but you called Rage GOTY a few months ago, no?”

It’s a contender for GOTY (why not?) and yes, it’s a solid game with ID software roots stuff. Enjoying it. I’m already at the Eastern Wasteland.

@Lord Gremlin, “And console sales will drop as a result.”

So what? PC sales will be higher.

But in reality Console sales won’t drop as a result and you can see that with Battlefield 3 which are still on top with 360|PS3.
    Also, “For this type of game PC is not a relevant market anymore, even Carmack admits it.”

Valve, Blizzard and other studios enjoy great sales from the PC market. Carmack said long time ago that DOOM 4 will be developed specifically for PC with console ports. Not because of sales, but because of the reasearch.

9. Fin

lol u butthurt?

PC games will never sell as well as console games. PC games will never be as varied and fun as console games. Just accept it, instead of spouting your fabricated bullshit.

Go back to playing Black Ops, fratboy.

10. Teabag

The patch does exactly what the config files floating around did. The game runs a lot smoother now, but not quite whiel driving.

Now waiting for Nvidia to roll out new drivers before I dive into the game. Till then, i hope DX and Gears 3 will hold me over.

11. Edo

Yeah…it doesn’t fix the textures out of place problem(artifacts)but at least they are aware of it and I hope they will fix it with the new patch.

12. YoungZer0

@5: Lol, Blizzard.

13. Erthazus

@9, “PC games will never sell as well as console games.”

I can’t wait to see one game at least outselling and making money as much as World Of Warcraft in terms of revenue. So your point here is invalid.

“PC games will never be as varied and fun as console games.”

It sure won’t have covers, regeneration, bad visuals and childish stories in them, thats for sure. Also, about variety, i’m still waiting for a console game that can have variety as a casual Civilization V.
    Your variety is simplicity with 16 buttons at best, so keep up worshipping your own words.

“Go back to playing Black Ops, fratboy.”

Sorry, mr Herp Derp, i’m playing Dark Souls on my PS3 and RAGE on my PC. After RAGE i’m going to play RED Orchestra 2 and than i will play Battlefield 3.

You are so hillarious :D

@10, “The game runs a lot smoother now, but not quite whiel driving.”

buy a better videocard. Game is smooth since it’s launch. People have problem only with old videocards. Even if you have problems with modern-gamer-type GPU. It is only screen tearing and Vsync problem. Thats it.
    GPU’s starting from GTX 470 should not have problems even if you turn filters.

14. YoungZer0

@9: Stop insulting Fratboys.

15. aseddon130

the PC version of this looks and plays fine, (well it does on my PC anyway) so stop your whining you pretentious ponces.

16. Christopher Jack

Stop acting as if PC & console gaming are 2 different things, they are subsets of the gaming genre & it’s bloody pathetic to accuse one of being superior when they both cater to slightly different audiences.

@13 “People have problem only with old videocards” how the hell would you know? I constantly run into various issues with my relatively modern GPU.

17. YoungZer0

@15: What kind of logic is that? “It runs fine on my PC so stop whining! Be happy that i can play it!”

Idiot.

18. DaMan

Did you know the nutcase kept on using the word ‘butthurted’ everywhere, even though people kept telling him he’s wrong? Thinks they only have to imagine something for it to be true. Same goes for everything else.

I bet he thought ‘it was a joke’. It’s like talking to a bolshevik on acid except he never tried one (hopefully he never will..).

19. YoungZer0

@16: Ignorance is his weapon of choice.

20. viralshag

I’m not having many problems with the game now, I finally started the campaign after DSB constantly nagged me on Steam ;)

It’s pretty decent, if I’m honest, a lot of it reminds me of DNF. It does look great, it’s linearity is somewhat bothering me as I often feel like I’m playing Fallout without the RPG elements and the Crimson Armour from the pre-order bonus eliminated any sort of “class choice” as I got all the benefits and not just a cash discount, engineering or armour buff.

I can’t say that this game will stick out for me as a GOTY contender or anything like that. It’s very pretty but rather mediocre in all other areas. I kinda feel like this game could have been so much more than it is but what it is, is ok with me.

MP is a total waste of time though. Rather disappointed with that.

21. albo88

pc gamers are not optimized and in this cause u dont know who to blame devs or ur graphic company for drivers
    so i say fuck PC even if i won a good gaming rig still not happy
    1.000 euro PC and still cant get 60 fps on witcher 2 fuck it